UMHS St. Kitts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted515990

Any pointers, tips, opinions or suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Any pointers, tips, opinions or suggestions?

In

tumblr_m9010sXDqf1qdhag9o2_500.gif

In.

Also, don't do it OP.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.umhs-sk.org/index.php/academics/licensure.html said:
Match Results 2011
Ob/Gyn (Categorical) Aultman Hospital (Canton, OH)
Categorical Ob/Gyn (Categorical) Monmouth Medical Center (Long Branch, NJ)
Internal Medicine (Categorical) Hahnemann University Hospital Program (PA)
Internal Medicine (Categorical) University of Nevada (Reno, NV)
Family Medicine (Categorical) University of Illinois College of Medicine at Chicago Program (Chicago, IL)
General Surgery (Preliminary) University of Nevada Program (Las Vegas, NV)

Match Results 2012
Family Medicine UAMS-AHEC (Jonesboro, AR)
Surgery (Preliminary) University of South Florida COM (Tampa, Fl)
Internal Medicine Tripler Army Medical Center (Hawaii)
Internal Medicine Johns Hopkins/Sinai (MD)
Transitional St. Mary Mercy Hospital (MI)
Ob/Gyn Oakwood Hospital (MI)
Ob/Gyn WSU/Detroit Medical Center (MI)
Family Medicine Beaumont Health System (Grosse Pointe, MI)
Internal Medicine WSU/Detroit Medical Center (MI)
Transitional Detroit Medical Center (MI)
Family Medicine Synergy Medical Ed Alliance (MI)
Medicine/Pediatrics Michigan State University (Kalamazoo, MI)
Internal Medicine Kettering Medical Center (OH)

Pre Match 2012
Family Medicine Penn State (PA) (Pre-Match)
Internal Medicine Pinnacle Health System (PA)
Family Medicine Clinton Memorial (OH)
Internal Medicine New Hanover Regional Medical Center (NC)

What is the class size? The match list looks a little... light.

They actually only matched 6 people in 2011? Good grief. OP, run away. Run far far away from that one.

Damn...
I have a couple of friends there and they say it's good. What I'm most concerned about is the an updated match rate / USMLE pass rate which I simply can't find updated info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn...
I have a couple of friends there and they say it's good. There's just something fishy and I don't want to make a decision that will affect my whole future career. Some of their things sound too good to be true. What I'm most concerned about is the an updated match rate / USMLE pass rate which I simply can't find updated info.

13/100 kids match--seems legit.

On a similar note, someone I know was recommending going to an Israeli med school--apparently, they match just as well as US grads.

Members don't see this ad :)
13/100 kids match--seems legit.

On a similar note, someone I know was recommending going to an Israeli med school--apparently, they match just as well as US grads.

That's about as much as match from a group of first years/ m1 at Ross, I.e 20/100.
But anyway, that program is the Columbia international med program and their graduates are supported by their mother institute and usually also are pretty bright. So it's not surprising that they match well.

The school is still new, our inaugural class was in May of 2008. The 2012 match represents our first group of med 1's ever, which is understandably a small group.

They actually only matched 6 people in 2011? Good grief. OP, run away. Run far far away from that one.

We matched 7 students in 2011, out of a total of 7 students who applied. Since May 2008 was UMHS's inaugural class, our first group of med 1 students weren't even ready for the 2011 match. 2011 represented a small group of students who had transferred into UMHS when the school first opened.

The school is still new, our inaugural class was in May of 2008. The 2012 match represents our first group of med 1's ever, which is understandably a small group.

Official! Things just got interesting.

Hmm. I wonder if the name Harvard Official has been taken yet.

Damn...
I have a couple of friends there and they say it's good. There's just something fishy and I don't want to make a decision that will affect my whole future career. Some of their things sound too good to be true. What I'm most concerned about is the an updated match rate / USMLE pass rate which I simply can't find updated info.

Sometimes seeing is believing? Get as much first-hand information as you can. Speak to current students, visit some campuses. We stand by everything we say and do. USMLE pass rate in 2012 was 97%. We've had only two residency matches, 2011 and 2012, which our students did very well! Given that we're still only 4 years old, we're very proud of what the school and its students have achieved.

The family running this school has been in medical education for over 30 years.

Out of curiosity, how many students entered the 2012 match total, UMHSO?

Edit: This question was likely dodged. UMHSO was still online when it was posed, and for some time after, despite having no further activity. This suggests the answer reflects poorly on the school.

Last edited:
Sometimes seeing is believing? Get as much first-hand information as you can. Speak to current students, visit some campuses. We stand by everything we say and do.

I heard students get kickbacks for new student referrals. Something like $1000/referral?

A bigger reason to stay as far away as possible. A new caribbean school = danger zone.

But, if this is really an official, maybe some objective info could help people:

How many students does this school enroll a year?
Do they have good standards for admissions?
Do any of the students fail out, or do ALL the students make it to the point where they can take Step 1?
Do they have good student support and facilities?
Do they guarantee placement into core and elective rotations for every student?
Did everyone who successfully match get into their first choice specialty?

Reactions: 1 user
I was looking into Caribbean schools and a friend told me about UMHS Med school in St Kitts what do you guys think? What have you heard about it? I am afraid of not finding a residency back into US.
Also, I'm thinking about nursing school or physician assistant program in a regular US school.
Help! decisions decisions... :confused:

I was looking into Caribbean schools and a friend told me about UMHS Med school in St Kitts what do you guys think? What have you heard about it? I am afraid of not finding a residency back into US.
Also, I'm thinking about nursing school or physician assistant program in a regular US school.
Help! decisions decisions... :confused:

Orami, since you are asking in this forum, I'll go out on a limb and say that the PA route is probably best, especially since you seem to be open to it. You'll be a legitimate medical professional pulling down a great income in only a few years. Nursing school is also a great option, especially with so many different fields to specialize in. The Caribbean as a backdoor to US residencies is closing fast -- it's just a bad idea all around. Unless you just screwed up your GPA really badly, but have a great MCAT score (meaning you'll be one of the few to rock your Steps), your best bet is to avoid this route at all costs.

Reactions: 1 user
Horrible school. Here's why: The school is owned by Warren Ross, son of Dr. Ross of Ross Medical School. They sold the school to Devry for millions of dollars, then took that money secretly opened first as a "school of nursing" to avoid a conflict of interest breach in their sale contract and now slowly transition into a Medical School. They currently recruit 90% of their students from Puerto Rico so say you are in an anatomy lab, don't expect to be conversing with your lab partners unless your fluent in Spanish. Even Dr. McCraken, who is actually a good professor had to remind everyone daily to speak in English ! Which they didn't follow of course. The dean Dr. Purcell is a complete and utter joke and probably one of the worst parts of this school period ! Everyone of the staff laughs at him. All he cares about is preparing and doing his Karaoke at Patsy's Bar every Friday because of his delusions of grandeur of being a rock and roll star, very pathetic. They are understaffed so he teaches Histology too, which he is horrible at, worst teacher by far, he's about 80 years old so he spends more time telling you stories about his rock and roll days than actually teaching histology! Dr. Herrick, a good teacher, horrible test maker and he does this with a purpose, behind the scenes owns part of the school. He is known to fail 30-40% of the class in immunology every semester for , you guessed it more profit $$$. They are bringing in about 130 students but have only about 50-60 seats in Maine where they do step prep, THIS IS THE WORST PART; you have students, but not enough clinical rotation spots ,many have to wait MONTHS just for something to open. Please do yourself a favor and RUN FAR AWAY from this school. If your going to go to the Caribbean pick one of the big 4 schools. These schools have been around for much longer and can much better prepare you to take the USMLE and do well in your clinicals . Best of luck to all, hope this review helps you in making the right decision in picking a better, more established school.

Last edited: