UMiami Direct Med

Gogetterr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am a rising senior in high school and its getting close to application season and I've started looking at UMiami's direct med program. Here's the dilemma, my academic stats are great and I have a decent amount of involvement at school, but I have no hospital experience and I have not yet taken any SAT IIs. Below is my high school credentials. Would I be able to make it if I were to squeeze in a last minute hospital internship or research or even get in without that or is it a bit too late now?

My academic stats:
GPA- 4.0 (~101 CNA), Class Rank- Top 5%
ACT- One Sitting: 32 (31 E, 35M, 31 R, 29 S)
SUPERSCORE (Over two sittings): 33 (34 E, 35M, 32R, 29 S)

APs so far: World History, English Lang and Comp, Physics 1, and Biology

Senior Year APs: Psychology, Calc AB, Chemistry, Government

HONORS classes throughout High school: Biology, chemistry, 9th lit, algebra, 10th lit, geometry, spanish 3, spanish 4, precalc

Dual Enrollment Classes: English 1102 and Economics

Extracurriculars:
President/Founder of Fitness Club
Vice President/Cofounder of MSA
Science National Honors Society
Active Beta Club Member (community service club)
Secretary Rocketry Club
Treasurer of Dance Club
FBLA Member
HOSA Member (Health Club)

Plenty of Hobbies as well since I saw that on the application

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
We dont know so no reason not to try. Obviously you are lacking in terms of medical stuff so I would get on that if I were you

these sort of programs are ridiculous, and you have no medical experience, so don't bother. just get in to the best college you can, and take things from there.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The UMiami program is 7-8 years, right? Given that at most going the traditional route you would only be adding an extra year, I would go straight through your undergrad and give yourself a shot at a more 'normal' undergrad experience. There's a lot of trade offs being in an accelerated program and you may be frustrated seeing a lot of your friends off at the bars and partying while you're studying. Not to say that there can't be a balance... But.... Coming from someone who had probably too much fun during undergrad, give yourself that experience. It is worth it.

With that being said, if you're dead set on this then go for it. It's your life and your career. You may as well apply because what is the worst they can do? Say no? No problem... Then kick ass in undergrad and re-apply your senior year.

@osteohack10 ya I definitely would like a college experience. May I ask where you went to school and how things worked out for you

Hey everyone, I am a rising senior in high school and its getting close to application season and I've started looking at UMiami's direct med program. Here's the dilemma, my academic stats are great and I have a decent amount of involvement at school, but I have no hospital experience and I have not yet taken any SAT IIs. Below is my high school credentials. Would I be able to make it if I were to squeeze in a last minute hospital internship or research or even get in without that or is it a bit too late now?

My academic stats:
GPA- 4.0 (~101 CNA), Class Rank- Top 5%
ACT- One Sitting: 32 (31 E, 35M, 31 R, 29 S)
SUPERSCORE (Over two sittings): 33 (34 E, 35M, 32R, 29 S)

APs so far: World History, English Lang and Comp, Physics 1, and Biology

Senior Year APs: Psychology, Calc AB, Chemistry, Government

HONORS classes throughout High school: Biology, chemistry, 9th lit, algebra, 10th lit, geometry, spanish 3, spanish 4, precalc

Dual Enrollment Classes: English 1102 and Economics

Extracurriculars:
President/Founder of Fitness Club
Vice President/Cofounder of MSA
Science National Honors Society
Active Beta Club Member (community service club)
Secretary Rocketry Club
Treasurer of Dance Club
FBLA Member
HOSA Member (Health Club)

Plenty of Hobbies as well since I saw that on the application
Your lack of clinical/research will probably close off most BS/MDs, especially desirable ones like Miami-Miller. I also highly suggest going to a real undergrad. Even with the #premed life, it was the best 3 (early grad) years of my life.

@md-2020 thanks for the insight! Would a direct message inhibit the ability to have the "undergrad experience?"

@md-2020 thanks for the insight! Would a direct message inhibit the ability to have the "undergrad experience?"
I'm not sure what you mean by "direct message," but if you're asking if the BS/MD will preclude from the undergrad experience, then for the most part (Brown, from what I've heard being the esception), yes. The stringent requirements, pre-chosen classes/schedule, and lack of flexibility will effect your extracurricular and social life significantly.

A high school friend of mine got into the program but didn't attend it. Mostly due to the lack of flexibility.

But I also have a high school classmate whose cousin attended this program a few years earlier and loved it.

Their cutoffs to stay in the program were high from what I remember.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Just wanted to clarify something about Miami's program. I graduated from it and also helped in the admission process. In no way did it "hinder my college experience". In fact, rather than worrying about getting an A in every class, doing all kinds of research/volunteer/resume boosting, I was able to enjoy my time in college without much stress. I didn't have any requirements other than completing my major, didnt have to do language/humanities/etc. - although I did because I wanted to. I had 1 semester of science my 3rd year of undergrad and 2 classes / semester of science the 1st 2 years. Can't speak for other programs, but Miami's certainly doesn't force you to study all the time or be less flexible.

Just wanted to clarify something about Miami's program. I graduated from it and also helped in the admission process. In no way did it "hinder my college experience". In fact, rather than worrying about getting an A in every class, doing all kinds of research/volunteer/resume boosting, I was able to enjoy my time in college without much stress. I didn't have any requirements other than completing my major, didnt have to do language/humanities/etc. - although I did because I wanted to. I had 1 semester of science my 3rd year of undergrad and 2 classes / semester of science the 1st 2 years. Can't speak for other programs, but Miami's certainly doesn't force you to study all the time or be less flexible.
Since you helped with admission, would you say I have a chance even without medical experience?