UMiami vs UGA Honors vs UF

Gogetterr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I'm trying to decide between these three colleges. UF is the lowest on my list but if anyone has anything to say about it that would be great. Anyways, the price comes down to be equal for all 3 and I'll be closest to home at UM. I hear pre med advising/research opps are fantastic at miami, but I also hear that being in UGA's honors program allows students to get research and shadowing more easily as well. Besides academics, I want a school where I will be able to have a great social life, a college experience, and where I will have plenty of things to do. Which would you choose and why? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

UMiami - This would be my pick. Private school, so probably nicer dorms and food and buildings and whatnot, smaller classes, easier to get into classes you want, etc. Strongest student body academically. HUGE premed factory, about 12% of their graduating class each year applies to med school, which is a rate on par with other big feeder schools like UCLA, Berkeley, Michigan, a bunch of top private schools. Their associated med school accepts a lot from their own undergrad (22% of their med students come from their undergrad this year). Close to home is a bonus.

UGA - much bigger and public. Still great student body especially in honors. They have about 7% apply to med school, still a solid number so there should be plenty of people to commiserate with. They do not have a med school though. The big draw for public schools is usually costing a fraction of private, but you said price will be equal between them all.

UF - Also massive, also plenty of premeds (9% apply), also has a med school and take a lot of their own. This is one of the biggest undergrads by enrollment in the country, like 50,000 people, quite a jump from UMiami's 16k!

At any of these places you are going to have no problem getting the college experience of a million things to do and a lot of partying.

Have you visited all these campuses? I personally figured out very early on I preferred the smaller private school campuses with lots of $$ to the massive state flagships

@efle Thanks! That helps a lot. The atmosphere of UMiami is just so different than the other two, which is what makes the situation a little confusing for me. As of now, I am leaning towards UM but still need to do some thinking.