Umich 2014 IVs and bench exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

member17483134

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!!
RADICAL GHOST- can you please give us some information about the bench exam as well as mini interviews at UMich. As they have sent out interview invitations today,many including me got an invite:)
Please share your experience about your UMich iv and bench exam and do let us know what all is asked in bench exam and mini interviews. The email mentions about some scenarios to discuss, are they related to clinical cases as Part-2 or something else like ethical. Where should one study from for the mini interviews?What all preps were asked for your batch?

Please do let us know, it will be really helpful for all of us. And do give us your tips and advice.

Members don't see this ad.

yes, i just got an IV. i really want to know!

Members don't see this ad :)
The interview at the University of Michigan is a one day process. You will get the time to time schedule in your email and on the day of the interview. The morning starts with breakfast and a brief introduction of all the attendees followed by the school related presentation. You will be pretty impressed with the school by now. (Trust me on that). Later half of the morning and the afternoon is covered by MMIs. MMIs are mini interviews that are conducted by 5-8 people. There would be 5-8 booths , where you need to stop for 5-6 min and reply to a question asked. You can read more about it by googling it up and there is a link on Umich website too. The questions might be framed to test your current knowledge about dentistry, to know more about you or to see your perspective in a specific scenario. Nothing that you need to prepare for, but use presence of mind on that moment (and dentistry is all about it. Even if you have all the knowledge in the world, how you react when you are faced with a difficult situation with your patient in chair, really matters.) Also, the biggest advantage with MMIs is that your selection is not biased on the point of view of only one or two people taking your IV. After thats done, there is lunch followed by school tour--Till this point you will feel --This is 'the school' I want to be into (atleast thats what I felt last year). Also you will start feeling sleepy due to food coma and getting up early in the morning and not sleeping properly last night to due to stress. But hold on to all your strength for the last session of the day-- Bench exam!!! (This is where you really need to give your best) Umich asks you some 5 prep in 4 hours. Make sure to practice your basic preps well. Cant discuss more about it since as a student I am not allow to disclose this info. Again practice your basic stuff well that is commonly asked on other school's bench exam, nothing complicated. You are not allowed to bring your instruments. Also make sure not to make any flight bookings on the day of the interview since the bench exam can last till late.

Relax!! This is most relaxing IV you will ever have. The director and admission committee is very down to earth and very good people. The interviewers are also super cool and wont let you stress. The bench exam goes smoothly. Clear written instructions are provided to you. And nobody stands on your head to watch what you are doing. Just do your work, finish it, submitand leave. At last. the students at Umich are the best (;)), feel free to ask any questions during the day and they will help. Make sure you arrive at UMich one day ahead of the IV, so that you can spent the entire day at the beautiful campus. All the best!!

Reactions: 2 users
The interview at the University of Michigan is a one day process. You will get the time to time schedule in your email and on the day of the interview. The morning starts with breakfast and a brief introduction of all the attendees followed by the school related presentation. You will be pretty impressed with the school by now. (Trust me on that). Later half of the morning and the afternoon is covered by MMIs. MMIs are mini interviews that are conducted by 5-8 people. There would be 5-8 booths , where you need to stop for 5-6 min and reply to a question asked. You can read more about it by googling it up and there is a link on Umich website too. The questions might be framed to test your current knowledge about dentistry, to know more about you or to see your perspective in a specific scenario. Nothing that you need to prepare for, but use presence of mind on that moment (and dentistry is all about it. Even if you have all the knowledge in the world, how you react when you are faced with a difficult situation with your patient in chair, really matters.) Also, the biggest advantage with MMIs is that your selection is not biased on the point of view of only one or two people taking your IV. After thats done, there is lunch followed by school tour--Till this point you will feel --This is 'the school' I want to be into (atleast thats what I felt last year). Also you will start feeling sleepy due to food coma and getting up early in the morning and not sleeping properly last night to due to stress. But hold on to all your strength for the last session of the day-- Bench exam!!! (This is where you really need to give your best) Umich asks you some 5 prep in 4 hours. Make sure to practice your basic preps well. Cant discuss more about it since as a student I am not allow to disclose this info. Again practice your basic stuff well that is commonly asked on other school's bench exam, nothing complicated. You are not allowed to bring your instruments. Also make sure not to make any flight bookings on the day of the interview since the bench exam can last till late.

Relax!! This is most relaxing IV you will ever have. The director and admission committee is very down to earth and very good people. The interviewers are also super cool and wont let you stress. The bench exam goes smoothly. Clear written instructions are provided to you. And nobody stands on your head to watch what you are doing. Just do your work, finish it, submitand leave. At last. the students at Umich are the best (;)), feel free to ask any questions during the day and they will help. Make sure you arrive at UMich one day ahead of the IV, so that you can spent the entire day at the beautiful campus. All the best!!
Thank you so much !

Hello Nikishka and member1748313, can you please share your stats!

All the very best for IV! Give your best shot!

S

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user