UMich vs Case vs VCU Honors

gitterfiddle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm really stuck between these three schools, any input would be appreciated.
I'm planning on doing BME (accepted to Engineering at Mich and BME for VCU) and premed.
Michigan is giving me a little bit of money, Case is about half price, and VCU will be almost free.
What is the best school for pre-med not only in terms of academics but research and volunteer opportunities and undergrad in general?

Members don't see this ad.

Umich > case > VCU. There is a reason why UMich is among the top institutions in the world....research.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm planning on doing BME (accepted to Engineering at Mich and BME for VCU) and premed.
Michigan is giving me a little bit of money, Case is about half price, and VCU will be almost free.
What is the best school for pre-med not only in terms of academics but research and volunteer opportunities and undergrad in general?
Hands down, Michigan. End thread.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I really loved Mich too, but there are a few things that are deterring me: the huge size, the competition for opportunities that follows from that size, and the cost.

I really loved Mich too, but there are a few things that are deterring me: the huge size, the competition for opportunities that follows from that size, and the cost.

The aphorism "You get what you pay for" absolutely applied to colleges and universities.

Are you a URM?

MICHIGAN!!!!!!!!

also the whole "honors" thing doesnt really do much in terms of making your app sound THAT much better for med school. and cleveland? i mean....yuck. Ann Arbor is the best city of the three EASILY too

also the whole "honors" thing doesnt really do much in terms of making your app sound THAT much better for med school. and cleveland? i mean....yuck. Ann Arbor is the best city of the three EASILY too

Ann Arbor v. Richmond v. Cleveland?
None of these cities really are a 'best' of the 3 - they all suck, lol.

I haven't read the internet articles, precisely because I 'get out more' than you do ;-)
it's evidence for you. i've been to all of them. no need to wink at me unless you're flirting

I haven't read the internet articles, precisely because I 'get out more' than you do ;-)

Small emoticon tip: use ;) instead of ;-)

Michigan hands down. No question.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would have to go with UMich as well. If you are allowed to choose simply for opportunities and the quality of life, I would have gone with either UMich or Case. Between that, I would have done the former. Their medical and public health programs are among the top schools.

I'm almost done with BME at Michigan. It was honestly an amazing experience. The BME professors are amazing. Plus, there's tons of research opportunities in both the BME department and the med school. When I first came in I was worried about finding research opportunities, but I ended up easily working a lab and in the hospital (both resulted in publications although that's not guaranteed). UM also has a program called UROP, which hooks up first year students with research mentors, which basically guarantees you a research opportunity. Let me know if you have any specific questions about BME at UM.

Sorry, but unless Mom and Dad are paying, THIS is the most important thing in play here.

The aphorism "You get what you pay for" absolutely applied to colleges and universities.

umm, you really need to get out more.

Michigan, hands down. I'm graduating this weekend with a degree in Neuroscience, and I have no regrets. The research budget here is insane, and that translates into easy access to research opportunities for undergrads. Like Jay said, UROP basically guarantees that you will have at least a year of research, and most professors and GSIs will help you find a lab to work in if you don't go the UROP route. It does suck that Michigan doesn't give a lot of money in scholarships though, but it was more than worth it for me.

Moving to hSDN.

I vote Michigan. I don't have personal experience there, but I have friends who went there for undergrad and I've heard nothing but good things. I also interviewed there for med school and loved it, probably going to apply there for residency.

I currently go to UMich and if you're pre-med and heading into engineering, this is a great place to be. Very strong research opportunities. Resources for students are top-notch. The winter here sucks though, but how beautiful it is after it warms up definitely makes up for it.

Ann Arbor v. Richmond v. Cleveland?
None of these cities really are a 'best' of the 3 - they all suck, lol.

Obviously you have never been to Ann Arbor! It's a beautiful lively college town with so much going on throughout the year, especially in the summers.

I currently go to UMich and if you're pre-med and heading into engineering, this is a great place to be. Very strong research opportunities. Resources for students are top-notch. The winter here sucks though, but how beautiful it is after it warms up definitely makes up for it.

Obviously you have never been to Ann Arbor! It's a beautiful lively college town with so much going on throughout the year, especially in the summers.

I've been. I'm not really one for 'towns' as much as I am big cities. To each their own, right? I'd rather live in Detroit than Ann Arbor. I would suck it up though and live in Ann Arbor if I had the chance to do a residency or fellowship at University of Michigan :)

I've been. I'm not really one for 'towns' as much as I am big cities. To each their own, right? I'd rather live in Detroit than Ann Arbor. I would suck it up though and live in Ann Arbor if I had the chance to do a residency or fellowship at University of Michigan :)

I am guessing then you're a big fan of gentrification and hipsters :=|:-):. I've lived in Michigan for close to a decade and Detroit is the last place I'd like to live. The only way you would get my butt down there is if I had to attend WSU medical school as mid-town isn't 'too bad' (if you don't mind the hipsters) due to beefy police force they have to keep in that area. I still hear about kids getting their cars stolen right out of parking garages on WSU campus(no joke)!

I am guessing then you're a big fan of gentrification and hipsters :=|:-):. I've lived in Michigan for close to a decade and Detroit is the last place I'd like to live. The only way you would get my butt down there is if I had to attend WSU medical school as mid-town isn't 'too bad' (if you don't mind the hipsters) due to beefy police force they have to keep in that area. I still hear about kids getting their cars stolen right out of parking garages on WSU campus(no joke)!

I may or may not currently live in Williamsburg Brooklyn.... ;-)

I may or may not currently live in Williamsburg Brooklyn.... ;-)
:rofl:
:hijacked:
ok end of thread hi-jack!

But OP pick UMich, the size is indeed intimidating, but we could become study buddies :).