UMich vs UCSF Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desidame

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I got accepted to UMich & UCSF international dental program...
Would appreciate any advice about the course content and strength of the programs... I understand both are top ranked schools... but i would appreciate some insight that would help me decide...
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,
I got accepted to UMich & UCSF international dental program...
Would appreciate any advice about the course content and strength of the programs... I understand both are top ranked schools... but i would appreciate some insight that would help me decide...
Thank you!
Congratulation..... Both great schools.
Only pass/fail system in UCSF is not sweet, if u are going to apply for postgrad. U would need to ace GRE,,,,

First Congrats!!!!!!!!

UCSF!!!!

Cali has one of the MOST beautiful weather and UNIQUE cultural experience in the US. This surfaces to be a great place to start your school and career. UMich has nothing to do...horrible cold weather....AVOID!

Members don't see this ad :)
1. You may take into account cost factor, weather conditions, family ties
2. Pass/fail system at ucsf. Even though u don't want to take up residency shud keep that option open
3. Ask pre-dents and they may be able to answer u better regarding school reputation. Ucsf being a state school has better reputation that umich
4. Job aspects- u sometimes get jobs thru alumni connections which is not much possible with ucsf because california is highly saturated. Even if u get it salaries are highly reduced. So if u have to eventually move out of california, y not save some money as well as start buildng up connections from day 1.

Thank you everyone!
I'm a little more inclined towards UCSF :)

Five simple and practical reasons, as an international dentist ----why UMich over UCSF.

1. The tution is much cheaper for UMich. Umich cost ~140k for 28 month program, while UCSF cost ~200K for 24 month program.(70 K with interest on top of it --is like paying the debt for one more year out of the paycheck.)
2. Umich will start in Jan 2015 and you get your full time patient pool by May 1st 2015. UCSF starts in June 2015 (5 months late) and you get your full time patient pool, after you are transferred to Buchanan center, in Feb 2016 (9 months late). Taking into consideration that the student batch of 2017 from both the schools will be graduating at the same time---- Umich gives you longer and much better clinical exposure. As a international dentist, you dont need much theory classes, spend maximum amount your time on patients, clinically.
3. Staying in SF is way expensive than staying in Ann Arbor (Save your money to pay your interests. Every penny counts when your debt is so high)
4. Umich has a among the best campus in US. You will easily get something close to school and you don't have to fight everyday to make your way through the traffic or transport to reach school. Simple and much productive lifestyle. Also you will have spare time to pursue your other interests.
5. Currently in dental research, it is no 1 in US with lot of good opportunities.

I agree the weather is harsh for four months but rest of the year is pretty good. Also your house,car,bus,school is heated. So you are literally in the weather from your car to the school. I have worked at USCF for a year. The winds makes SF much colder than what the Californian weather should be.

Your dilemma is good!! Because both the schools are good. But contact the students who are already in the program of these schools, rather than taking a random poll (A third party opinion will be always confusing). Since you have been to both of these schools for interview, base your decision on where you thought -- this is the school I want to be in. I faced the similar situation last year, but I was lucky that I was clear in my head from start where I want to be, even before my interviews. :) :)

All the very Best!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Also my clarification on some of the posts above:
1. I agree the P/F at UCSF is not very sweet , if you decide to go with residency later.
2. I have stayed for 2 years in CA. But SF weather is exception,the winds make it worse. I am not denying snowy and cold weather of Ann Arbor for four months.
3. Ann Arbor is also a melting pot of culture, if only you have been here!!
4. Once you are out of school as fresh graduate, no alumini connections will help you to get a job, you have to prove yourself everywhere. They can be helpful only to find a job. Same goes with the residency. Check the school's report-- how many students get accept in the same school for residency program. You will be shocked!!
5. Umich is a ''state school'' too with equal reputation.

Thank you, radical ghost.
I have been in touch with students currently in both schools. Ucsf students love the Buchanan experience. They feel their program is more clinically focussed.
The percentage of students who got accepted to residency from ucsf seems comparable to other schools. I spoke to a residency director & was told that recommendation letters r more important that gpa. So maybe the pass/fail system won't matter in the grand scheme of things.
I'm not deterred by the weather. I've lived in the Midwest on the snow belt for a couple of years. I know how the lake effect can be but it's manageable.
I won't take on a loan so I'm not looking much at the financial aspect. I want to go to a school which offers great clinical exposure & a great experience. I've lived in a college town before & that's why I liked Ann Arbor. But San Francisco is a great city. It's foggy & windy. But I've always loved that city.
I guess that's why I'm a little biased towards it :)