UMKC-class of 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tm79602

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have not seen anyone who is applying to UMKC! I just want to find people who are applying to the same school this year and exchange questions and info with each other.
About me: I am currently in the AF Reserves; just separated from active duty Air Force-6 years as a military pharmacy technician. I am still a pharmacy technician in the reserves. I also have my CPhT since May 2006. My GPA right now is a 3.2, but I am shooting for all straight A's in my classes this semester to boost it to a 3.6. I ended up failing a non prereq class while I was still active duty due to personal reasons, but I explained that in a letter to UMKC. I have not taken the PCAT yet, but I will take it in January. I just mailed off my package today, and I am so nervous. In the military, I was in charge of everything related to pharmacy (narcotics, high cost medication, ordering medications, etc.) so I have alot of experience in the pharmacy. I have a few EC's. Other than that, I am shooting for above an 80 on the PCAT. I will be taking the Kaplan online course as well as studying on my own, so I am pretty confident I will get that score.

I want to hear from people applying to UMKC this year! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I also was inducted into Phi Theta Kappa International Honor's Society, Honor Graduate in Basic Military Training, along with other awards. My overall GPA will be around 3.6, but I am shooting for my prereq GPA to be a 3.8-4.0

Hey,
I want to apply to this school, I am in the process of filling out my app and getting a recommendation together for it. My GPA, probably is about a 3.2 with their academic forgiveness policy. Composite PCAT 77. Lots of work and health care experience, including community service, however I don't have any pharmacy experience, except doing basic pharm stuff as a hospital volunteer...
I want to hear from others who are applying too!

I have not seen anyone who is applying to UMKC! I just want to find people who are applying to the same school this year and exchange questions and info with each other.
About me: I am currently in the AF Reserves; just separated from active duty Air Force-6 years as a military pharmacy technician. I am still a pharmacy technician in the reserves. I also have my CPhT since May 2006. My GPA right now is a 3.2, but I am shooting for all straight A's in my classes this semester to boost it to a 3.6. I ended up failing a non prereq class while I was still active duty due to personal reasons, but I explained that in a letter to UMKC. I have not taken the PCAT yet, but I will take it in January. I just mailed off my package today, and I am so nervous. In the military, I was in charge of everything related to pharmacy (narcotics, high cost medication, ordering medications, etc.) so I have alot of experience in the pharmacy. I have a few EC's. Other than that, I am shooting for above an 80 on the PCAT. I will be taking the Kaplan online course as well as studying on my own, so I am pretty confident I will get that score.

I want to hear from people applying to UMKC this year! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am apply to UMKC also. I have a similar GPA, and have been a pharm tech in the military for 12 years with the AF. I have PCAT score of 79 composite. I am currently trying to get a BS in Biochem so my math/science GPA will hopefully go up after this and the spring semester. Good luck with your application and I hope you do well on the PCAT.

Thank you for wishing me luck on the PCAT. I do not know what to expect, but I am hoping that my studying and this Kaplan course online can help tremendously. I just pray that when I apply to the school, I can get accepted right away and not waitlisted. I live in Texas and the reason why I am trying to get into UNKC is

1-the are changing their program and this is the last year that they will have a 1-5 program
2-My mom and my sister (along with the rest of my family) lives in the KC area. My mom and sister lives in the Olathe area.

I am applying to UMKC as well as several other schools. I am much like you in that I have military and pharm tech experience as well as a similar GPA. Good luck at the PCAT, and hopefully we'll see each other at school.

Just mailed my app yesterday;

pcat: 68 overall, 90 math, 75 bio, 75 chem, english not so good; 3s on both writing;
gpa: 3.1 overall, 3.2 science;
degree: ba chemistry spring 2010;

i have pharmacy experience as a pharmtech for over 4 years; i applied 2 years ago w/o my degree with similar gpa and got interview but was waitlisted (~#40) and didn't get in; maybe i will have better luck this time;

CaliChemist,

If you do not mind me asking-What happened last year that got you waitlisted? Did they explain this to you? I am just nervous because I do not think that they will flat out reject me, but my fear is getting waitlisted.

I've heard really good things about UMKC pharmacy school, does anyone know the cutoff pcat scores?

They do not have a cutoff PCAT score-no minimum and no maximum. I read somewhere that some of the earlier classes averaged a 60-70 on their PCAT. To make yourself competitive, you need to shoot for a score over this. I am trying to shoot for above an 80-preferably above a 90. I am trying to sign up for the Kaplan online course in December as well as studying on my own with the Kaplan PCAT book (2010-2011 edition). I take the test in January. They also will take the score on the January PCAT, so I thought thay was pretty cool.

2 years ago at the interview, i remember speaking to those around me with high gpa and prospective students with biochem, bio, chem degrees;

i was just an average college sophmore with subpar gpa and pcat scores and no degree; i felt that i was considered due to my experience in the healthcare field (few years pharm tech, internships, research) but because my gpa and pcat score were so low with only the pre-reqs done, i didn't have a strong academic foundation to get admitted;

*they didn't give the details on why i was waitlisted, but its obvious that i simply wasn't as qualified as many of the students; (which is how it works for anything)

Last edited:
No offense to you and your response, but that scares me a little because I do not have a bachelors degree. I am not even close to it. I am praying that my good GPA (with the classes I have), good PCAT score, my military experience, my military pharmacy experience, my LOR, and my EC's will help me get in. I guess we will find out. I hope that you get in this year!

seeing how i was considered for an interview and put on the waitlist with a weak gpa and pcat score, i'm sure youll do better than me; goodluck to you;

Does anyone know how the timeline goes? When do we find out if we were accepted for an interview? the actual acceptance? Do they do all of their corresponding by email? When are they actually going to look at the applications? How are the interviews? When are they going to send out something that they received our application? I am just very curious. Thanks!!

Hello,

I too plan on applying to UMKC for class of 2010.. B.S. in Food Science.. 2 classes left for my B.A. in Chemistry.. CPhT with only 4 months pharmacy experience due to getting deployed.. Current GPA is 3.2 and I am retaking classes to increase this.. Taking the PCAT in January.. 7 years in the Army National Guard and a veteran.. :xf: Good luck to everyone!! Keep us posted:)

ps. I went to Mizzou and know a few students in their satellite program and they didn't have high PCAT scores. I do know that UMKC does grade replacement and also takes the highest score from each section of however many PCAT's you take. HTH!!

I received a packet that has information about the program. It states that you need to have a 2.75 cumulative GPA and a 2.5 GPA on math/science courses. Next to this in parenthesis, it states that it is recommended to have a 3.5 on both cumulative and math/science. It also says that it is recommended to have around a 70-75 (or above) on your PCAT. No joke! I am assuming that having those scores really get you in, but I am guessing. The only thing that I am worried about is this F in a non prereq class that I received. I typed a letter explaining what happened and sent it with my application. I wish that they did not include non prereq grades. That F is really bothering me!! Other than that, I will be ok.

I got confirmation from Katie from admissions today (by email) that they have received my application. They are still waiting on my fall 2009 grades and my PCAT in January. It has begun!!!

I was aslo chatting with an admissions person today from some pharmacy school. They explained that before interviews, they already know who will be admitted and who will be waitlisted. The interview is just confirmation of their prior decision. They explained that 99% of the time, after you have done your interview, the status does not change. So either you get waitlisted or accepted once you get an interview!!!

I got my invite today too!!! Its for March 27th. I heard there was an earlier date than this one. Did anyone get invited to a date earlier than March 27th?

We already have a newer thread for UMKC. I am glad more people are getting interviews. Congrats! Hope to see you.