About the ads

UNA Caribbean Pharmacy School

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Teggie, Aug 17, 2006.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.

Thanks to Crack the PCAT
  1. Teggie

Teggie Junior Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    LQQk what I got in my email today from UNA's planned pharmacy school in the Caribbeans. HMM.. I wonder how this is going to go over. :confused:

Dear UNA students,

We have acquired through Xavier University as a joint-partnership to start the College of Pharmacy, in January 2007. Xavier University has the license and charter on the Island of Bonaire which is very beautiful. Bonaire is apart of the sister islands of Curacao and Aruba. The already are conducting their Medical school there.

We are teaming up with them to confirm the Doctorate of Pharmacy degree which will allow you to come to the United States and practice. The curriculum will be 5-years in-order to meet the NABP/FPGEE requirements.

After all this time, the FPGEE group have indicated to us that our curriculum must be 5-years in-order to meet their minimum requirements.

Students that are apart of our University will now have:
    1. Financial Aid options now through Xavier University
    2. Lower living costs compared to that of Turks and Caicos-almost half.
    3. A proper beautiful campus location. Which we will have pictures of on our website.
    4. And many more!!

The degree will be Xavier University and University of North America College of Pharmacy and Complementary Pharmacy. We will still be looking to approach the ACPE for possible accreditation.

I will be contacting each and everyone of you this week to discuss what has happened.
  2. Passion2BPharmD

Passion2BPharmD New Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    I just got a call from Dr. Subramani saying that I am accepted for the class starting January 2007! (yay!)
    He said that I will get more information concerning this through the mail....

As my understanding, this program is 5 years because it is an International School Program, and when I am through, I will have to take the Foreign Proficiency Equivilence Examination, then the NAPLEX......hmMmm....

I work with a technician who was a pharmacist in India, and has been trying to pass this Foreign Examination to practice in the US, but he is having such a hard time passing it... (its been 3 years)

Did anyone else get a call?
    Anyone know any other information regarding this??
  3. cdpiano27

cdpiano27 Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Is UNA even a real school? Their website is www.unacollegeofpharmacy.org and there is no mention of Xavier or even a facility to have the pharmacy classes.

I just do not want people going there to get ripped off.
  4. bananaface

bananaface Pharmacy Supernerd Staff Member Administrator SDN Senior Moderator Lifetime Donor

Pharmacist
    Pharmacist Rocket Scientist NCPA Kappa Psi SDN 10+ Year Member
    You can contact ACPE directly to see if they even know about it. ACPE has made it pretty clear that they will not accredit a new pharmacy school unless it applies for accreditation before opening. Be careful where you put your money.
  5. jacketwrestler

jacketwrestler Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I can't believe tuition there is so cheap. Must be nice!
  6. pharmwannebe2

pharmwannebe2 Senior Member

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    or a fake pharmacy school.

no way it can be that cheap...
  7. Seveneighty

Seveneighty ego sum venenum

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Hard to take a pharmacy school seriously when they have trouble with the English language.

From http://www.unacollegeofpharmacy.org/location.html "a popular tourist destination for American's and Canadian's, with daily flights to and from the United States."

Americans and Canadians. Americans and Canadians. Sheeshers!
  8. bananaface

bananaface Pharmacy Supernerd Staff Member Administrator SDN Senior Moderator Lifetime Donor

Pharmacist
    Pharmacist Rocket Scientist NCPA Kappa Psi SDN 10+ Year Member
  9. ethyl

ethyl Go suck on a Zoloft.

Pharmacist
    Pharmacist SDN 7+ Year Member
    Hope everyone stays far, far away from this "school".
  10. Seveneighty

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Really does look too good to be true.. but a cheap vacation (with a lot of interspersed work and effort), if that's what you're looking for.

On a related note... For those that would know, could I practice pharmacy in Canada after earning a degree at this school/vacation? :) Or will its lack of accreditation be a problem in that regard?
  11. pharmwannebe2

pharmwannebe2 Senior Member

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    i am not sure. but i do believe canada must have a test like FPGEE. i mean they can't just let anyone come and practice in canada....they need to know the standards where high enough. even though i heard the FPGEE is crazy hard.
  12. kkelloww

kkelloww Senior Member

Pharmacist
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I imagine you won't be able to practice anywhere after they close in 2008 and take off with your tuition. And what recourse would you have?
  13. enlightme

enlightme Junior Member

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Does not seem like they have any type of accreditation...
    Here is what the website says.

Track 1

Because of our strategic location, offshore the United States, we are not required to have U.S. Accreditation for students to matriculate back into the United States. In this track upon graduation, students may be eligible to partake in the FPGEE (Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Equivalency Examination) to seek licensure as a pharmacist in the United States. This depends on the policies of the NABP at the time of graduation. Currently, they will entertain applications of students graduating from a 5-year pharmacy program. You may contact the NABP at www.nabp.net for their current policies.

Please note: The NABP requires that students graduate from a 5-year pharmacy program to be eligible for the FPGEE. This 5-year pharmacy program denotes 5-years of pharmacy education after high school which includes both (pre-pharmacy and pharmacy).

Students matriculating through UNA will be awarded a 6-year Pharmacy degree of which their first two-years of pre-pharmacy will accepted as transfer credits into UNAs 6-year program.

Track 2
    We will be applying for U.S. Accreditation that other colleges of pharmacy in the United States go through in order to maintain the highest level of standards recommended by the U.S. Accreditation Body.

In this track students will be able to partake in the NAPLEX directly without taking the FPGEE, provided that we become accreditated by the U.S. accreditation body.

Hmmm to many maybes and depends. :confused:
  14. GatorRxGirl

GatorRxGirl

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Is this like the University of Pheonix of Pharmacy Schools? What a rip off. Although, I'd like to lay on the beach all day and still get a PharmD. Classes include: compounding in a coconut shell, patient counciling while laying on the sand drinking a Corona, drug interactions with all the Caribbean weed that all the students smoke, among others! PLUS you get to go to class in a bathing suit and you don't get grades - you get more bamboo to build your hut with!
  15. Raj Kapoor

Raj Kapoor

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    The UNA & St. Xavier College of Pharmacy seems like it is going to be pretty amazing. I actually just came down from there. I did a little spying!

The president at the orientation last year knew what he was talking about and was very impressive. I really feel comfortable going to UNA and I like the administration after talking with them on several occassions.

I also spoke with St. Xavier University! They seem pretty cool!!!:)

Are any of you guys attending in January??
  16. Raj Kapoor

Raj Kapoor

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member

What is the Univ. of Phoenix Pharmacy school? what is that all about?
  17. Raj Kapoor

Raj Kapoor

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I was told that they don't need ACPE accreditation anyway. They are an international college. That is true, I looked into that
  18. Raj Kapoor

Raj Kapoor

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I heard that the FPGEE was crazy hard for foreigners that cannot speak english and take the exam.
  19. Raj Kapoor

Raj Kapoor

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member

Where is that written? That is funny! Hopefully, they can speak english
  20. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 "I hear the WMD is the bomb."

Born: Parkersburg, WV | Now: Montgomery TWP, PA
    Pharmacist
    Pharmacist SDN 10+ Year Member
    Excuse me, I have a case of the HICcuPs. I'd...uh....be cautious.
  21. Raj Kapoor

Raj Kapoor

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I know a guy who couldn't pass it, but he really couldn't speak english either. I think that if you can speak and read english it should be easier, i suppose
  22. Raj Kapoor

Raj Kapoor

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    What do you mean? Where did you get that Blog
  23. NuclearFission

NuclearFission Member

SDN 2+ Year Member
    You're the only person who seems Entheastic about this school. You only have five post and nothing to back up what you say except, "I did a little spying!" You sound like a troll.
  24. Caverject

Caverject Try Some Schnitzel!

Kappa Psi Army SDN 10+ Year Member
    School has the same address as the Indo-American political action group in CHICAGO!!

Interesting.... (do the cashed search)

http://www.google.com/search?num=10...Regent Drive" Oak Brook, IL 60523&btnG=Search
  25. Raj Kapoor

Raj Kapoor

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    They have shared offices in the same place. The president of the Indo-American Political League is the Father of the President of UNA.
    I visited with them at the student orientation last year.

The Indo-American Political league has state representatives from Illinois.
  26. Raj Kapoor

Raj Kapoor

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I sound like a troll, but you sometimes have to see for your own eyes to get reassurance that things are going to be okay. I visited the school and actually exists. So instead of bashing it, we need to support. Who knows, you may end up there.
  27. Raj Kapoor

Raj Kapoor

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member

I may sound like a troll, but you can't even spell the word enthusiastic. How can you get into any pharmacy school???
  28. Raj Kapoor

Raj Kapoor

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  29. Seveneighty

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    You're sure everyone made fun of Harvard? What makes you "sure"? :confused:
  30. NuclearFission

NuclearFission Member

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Harvard??? Again you're posting with nothing to back up what you say. Provide a link and someone might believe you...... about Harvard.

And the question is not if I will get into pharmacy or if I can spell. The question is if this school is real. Will you be able to work in the U.S. when you finish? Why is tuition so low? Is the school really legit? I don't mean taking some random guy's word either. There have been scams before where students have lost money attending a fake school.

So my question to you is, why are you so "ENTHUSIASTIC" about spreading information on a brand new school. It is common knowledge that every school in the U.S. receives 700+ applicants. I for one would not tell anyone until I got into the school. So why spread the word? Do you work for them? Are you a scam artist?
  31. WVUPharm2007

Pharmacist
    HICP. A huge cluster**** of a situation that screw over a few hundred kids. Read about it on Wikipedia Here

And here is a link to the infamous 30+ page thread on the drama and soapopera that was HICP. Read up on a "new" school before you commit.

blogspot.com.
  32. Raj Kapoor

Raj Kapoor

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member

I never said to spread the word. I just don't know. Maybe I am scared of going there too? But, I have been doing my homework and it seems great for me to go. I like the idea of studying down in the caribbean.
  33. DHG

DHG Senior Member

Pharmacist
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Students beware.

The fine line between trolling and spamming.

If it walks like a duck...

I think our friend Raj Kapoor is a *spammer* *marketer* or whatever you want to call it. You've seen the "interns" that pose as regular people on other boards I am sure. If not, you should know that they are everywhre.

Example: New member, first post goes:
    This looks like a variant geared toward this board. They want your money. I don't know for sure that Raj Kapoor is a spammer but my BS detector is going like crazy and yours should be too.

Raj Kapoor only joined SDN to make this one and only thread. Just joined. Only posted about this one thing. Is this "school's" biggest cheerleader. Be very skeptical.

Bananaface makes the best point of all ... follow her links.
  34. OoShimmeroO

OoShimmeroO Senior Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    They can probably gain admission into UNA Caribbean Pharmacy School. The pre-reqs for your school are probably a pulse and money.
  35. SpenceRx

SpenceRx Junior Member

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member

+1
    I was thinking the same thing.
  36. Caverject

Caverject Try Some Schnitzel!

Kappa Psi Army SDN 10+ Year Member
    The Xavier University they speak of is not the same Xavier we think of that was under water a year ago. There is another Xavier University in Aruba that is loosly affiliated with this group...
  37. NuclearFission

NuclearFission Member

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Being the curious person that I am, I decided to contact "Saint Xavier University". I spoke with a counselor in the admissions office and she could not locate UNA on her database for verication. Then she transfered me to her director to see if she knew anything about it. So what did the director tell me after I gave her the website address? She said;

1.) This school could be legitimate but she has never heard of it.

2.) The website address ended in .org and not .edu like a normal university.

3.) It could be possible that they are referring to another Xavier schools but there is only one "SAINT" Xavier.

4.) According to some accreditation pharmacy rule book, outside Universities can not obtain accredation in the U.S.

5.) I should concentrate my search for a pharmacy school elsewhere and that "SHE" would be scared to apply to this school.

So i'm calling this,
    ****BOGUS****

Raj Kapoor, go con someone else you Nigerian Scammer.

Link to Saint Xavier University contact information.
    http://www.sxu.edu/admission/
  38. cycloketocaine

cycloketocaine

Pharmacist
    NCPA SDN 7+ Year Member
    Oh crap, is that all you can come up with?? It's a word, who cares if they misspelled it. Jeez........:smuggrin:
  39. cycloketocaine

cycloketocaine

Pharmacist
    NCPA SDN 7+ Year Member
    +1000
    Awsome job <------ oops, I misspelled something!!! How will I ever get into pharmacy school?!?!?!?! :smuggrin:
  40. mana20

mana20 Junior Member

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Be careful, I deal with a lot of fraud through my work, dont give them any info about your self or credit card info until you know its something real, sounds like fraud to me.
  41. GatorRxGirl

GatorRxGirl

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member

He's probably set up some key stroke monitor thing when we click on links to the school. We're all gonna get our identity stolen. Agh! Oh and I can't spell, so I better drop out of pharmacy school. I would say worse but the moderators would be all over it!
    ;)
  42. GatorRxGirl

GatorRxGirl

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Their course schedule is weird too. Why would you take Biochem I AND II in the same semester? And Med Chem I and II are 3 semesters apart? Furthermore, who in pharmacy school only takes 12 hours a semester? I'm going to average about 19 hours a quarter and I thought all schools were intense like this. "At The University of North America students take one course at a time &#8212; they're immersed full time in the course for 2 to 5 weeks &#8212; and then move on to the next course." And...who's ever heard of a 2 week course?
  43. Azza29

Azza29 New Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Nigerian Scammer:thumbdown: :confused:
    Eventhough you make a great point, and you did do your research. I really don't think there's a need for stereotypical remarks. Especially when raj kapoor is not a nigerian name. Please lets act professional as we are or trying to get into a professional program.
  44. starsweet

starsweet

Pharmacist
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I am sorry but the UNA website just screams SKETCH and SCAM...
  45. WVUPharm2007

Pharmacist
    Dude, haven't you ever gotten one of those "Nigerian Prince needs to transfer 134 million out of nigeria" emails?
  46. NuclearFission

NuclearFission Member

SDN 2+ Year Member
    True True, but there is also no need for people to support fake websites so we can enter our vital information in the application section of the website to have our identity stolen.:mad:

His name probably isn't Nigerian but I just made an assumption that he must be part of those email scams that normally claim you win 100,000 dollars. I get them every now and then in my snd mail box. So I just figure it's him.

Funny thing is that he hasn't replied back to defend himself. Maybe because he was put to shame and busted??:laugh:
  47. DHG

DHG Senior Member

Pharmacist
    SDN 7+ Year Member
  48. nadness

nadness

Pharmacy Student
    hi.. im new on here and googled onto this forum..

do you guys really think this is a scam? because i get a letter from una in the mail like 2 wks ago telling me i've been accepted.... i've been excited but now i'm kinda scared....???? hmmm... xavier university has a campus in bonaire: http://www.xusombonaire.net/accreditations.html but it doesnt say anywhere that they are in 'partnership' with una...

is anyone else planning to go down there for pharmacy school? please let me know so we can talk!

nadia
  49. nadness

nadness

Pharmacy Student
    ok this sucks.. i just read all the posts on this thread :( here i was planning everything around going to pharmacy school in january to a "fake" school. my parents will be crushed. sigh. i left a msg for that xavier univ. to give me a call back (the one with the link on my above thread).. i'll let u guys know what they say if u care. anyone else in my embarrasing position :mad:
  50. nadness

nadness

Pharmacy Student
    oh and 'raj kapoor' has got to be a fake person.. i think thats an indian actors name or something.