MD Unbalanced 508 MCAT, sGPA 3.63, cGPA 3.73, white male, CA resident, UCLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adventurer456

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
White male, not URM or disadvantaged, CA resident, UCLA, Human Biology and Society Major
508 MCAT: 128/124/131/125
sGPA: 3.63, cGPA: 3.73

MCAT
Chem/Phys-128 –----87 percentile------10-11 on old MCAT
CARS-124 –---------- 44 percentile ----- 7-8 on old MCAT
Bio/Biochem-131 --– 99 percentile ----- 12-13 on old MCAT
Psych/Soc-125 –----- 55 percentile
Total-508 (77 percentile overall)

Research:
· 1 year high school AB resistant bact. research experience, 1 summer college research experience, co-author on two publications from high school research
· Co-author on one poster for patient interviews education research to improve

Clinical:
· Tijuana medical clinic, student run: 3 day trips, ~100 hours
· Dominican Republic medical clinic, with doctors giving out medication: 7 days, 4 days of clinic
· Patient interviews/discharge education research: ~70 hours
· Nurse-patient observations: ~30 hours
· 16 hours shadowing
· CPR certified
· I plan on getting EMT certified this quarter and work as an EMT during my gap year.

Leadership:
· Mentor for student in my major,
· Director in Patient education research club

Programs:
· Medical Inventathon,
· Medical School Edu Reform Challenge

Other activities:
· Triathlon team
· History of outdoor activities, mountain climbing, backpacking, fishing, snowboarding, biking

Interested in Orthopedic Surgery, ER, and Orthopedic surgery entrepreneurship.

My unbalanced MCAT score is of great concern for me. I do not want to go through the application cycle and not get in anywhere. I also do not want to have to take the MCAT again if I do not need to. I did a significant amount of work on CARS with EK but still only scored a 7-8 on practice tests, and got about the same thing on the real MCAT. 125 on Psych was a shock to me as I thought I studied just as much as anyone.

I am really looking for some professional advice. Do I still have a shot at getting in without being disadvantaged, my resume, and unbalanced MCAT? If so, where should I apply?

Some schools I am currently considering are:
Rosalind
Oakland
Netter/Quinnipiac
University of Cinncinatti
St. Louis
Drexel
Rush
Albany
Eastern Virginia
UCI

I would much rather go MD over Caribbean or DO. Any recommendations and advice would be much appreciated.

Happy Holidays!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd advise a retake on the basis of your low CARS score, and on the belief that you could certainly increase your P/S section by prepping more (considering you're exceptional B/BS section).

Reactions: 1 user
How were your practice tests? If you have been scoring higher than how you did on the real test and think you can do better if you take the MCAT again, I would retake it. If 508 is representative of your practice tests, then I would not retake it, and apply to DO schools.

I'm in this cycle with an unbalanced~80% MCAT and ~50% CARS score and its not easy with these stats. The fact that you're a CA resident makes it worse. If you only want MD (which I think is not smart considering you're competitive for DO) you should definetly retake the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are boning for the MD then you have to retake to have a prayer.

Side note, why are the people who say "MD only" the ones who aren't competative for MD? Blows my mind.

Reactions: 1 users
I would much rather go MD over Caribbean or DO.

shocked-baby-face-300x182.jpg

Really? Aren't you special!

Seriously, good cGPA and sGPA from a good school (UCLA) and solid ECs. You need to retake the MCAT if you're gunning for US MD; US MD Adcoms are gonna tear you a new hole for that abysmal CARS score. However, if you wanna be a practicing physician in the US ASAP, You are for fine most DO schools right now.

shocked-baby-face-300x182.jpg

Really? Aren't you special!

Seriously, good cGPA and sGPA from a good school (UCLA) and solid ECs. You need to retake the MCAT if you're gunning for US MD; US MD Adcoms are gonna tear you a new hole for that abysmal CARS score. However, if you wanna be a practicing physician in the US ASAP, You are for fine most DO schools right now.

And supposedly (I think I've seen @Goro say this) that the verbal section has the highest correlation to board scores. But I have no idea about this personally. And adcoms are like sharks OP. They will see that score and smell blood

Beggars can't be choosy

White male, not URM or disadvantaged, CA resident, UCLA, Human Biology and Society Major
508 MCAT: 128/124/131/125
sGPA: 3.63, cGPA: 3.73

MCAT
Chem/Phys-128 –----87 percentile------10-11 on old MCAT
CARS-124 –---------- 44 percentile ----- 7-8 on old MCAT
Bio/Biochem-131 --– 99 percentile ----- 12-13 on old MCAT
Psych/Soc-125 –----- 55 percentile
Total-508 (77 percentile overall)

Research:
· 1 year high school AB resistant bact. research experience, 1 summer college research experience, co-author on two publications from high school research
· Co-author on one poster for patient interviews education research to improve

Clinical:
· Tijuana medical clinic, student run: 3 day trips, ~100 hours
· Dominican Republic medical clinic, with doctors giving out medication: 7 days, 4 days of clinic
· Patient interviews/discharge education research: ~70 hours
· Nurse-patient observations: ~30 hours
· 16 hours shadowing
· CPR certified
· I plan on getting EMT certified this quarter and work as an EMT during my gap year.

Leadership:
· Mentor for student in my major,
· Director in Patient education research club

Programs:
· Medical Inventathon,
· Medical School Edu Reform Challenge

Other activities:
· Triathlon team
· History of outdoor activities, mountain climbing, backpacking, fishing, snowboarding, biking

Interested in Orthopedic Surgery, ER, and Orthopedic surgery entrepreneurship.

My unbalanced MCAT score is of great concern for me. I do not want to go through the application cycle and not get in anywhere. I also do not want to have to take the MCAT again if I do not need to. I did a significant amount of work on CARS with EK but still only scored a 7-8 on practice tests, and got about the same thing on the real MCAT. 125 on Psych was a shock to me as I thought I studied just as much as anyone.

I am really looking for some professional advice. Do I still have a shot at getting in without being disadvantaged, my resume, and unbalanced MCAT? If so, where should I apply?

Some schools I am currently considering are:
Rosalind
Oakland
Netter/Quinnipiac
University of Cinncinatti
St. Louis
Drexel
Rush
Albany
Eastern Virginia
UCI

I would much rather go MD over Caribbean or DO. Any recommendations and advice would be much appreciated.

Happy Holidays!

And supposedly (I think I've seen @Goro say this) that the verbal section has the highest correlation to board scores. But I have no idea about this personally. And adcoms are like sharks OP. They will see that score and smell blood
I think its the sciences (originally Bio, but probably C/P too no because it is so biological systems heavy) that correlates to step1, and verbal correlates to step 2, but the association is weak.

OP. You are set for DO. Don't go caribbean. Retake the MCAT to get that verbal up if you want MD. Also, your short medically related travels are cool, but not sufficient for clinical exposure. I believe adcoms like to see long term commitment to communities on our home turf, so best to start that.