Unbalanced MCAT 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nit Skit

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got my initial MCAT score and was satisfied after finding out I got a 512. But looking at the subject breakdown, I was wondering whether I would have to write the exam again. This is the breakdown: Chem/CARS/Bio/Psych: 126/129/125/132. If my bio section is my weakest section would I have to write again, or should I just be happy with my overall score.
Hope you all can help!
Thanks xx.

Members don't see this ad.

Your fine. A 512 is a 512, if it's just a 512. A 125= 8/9 on old version, which is right at the cut off point for almost every medical school. Nonetheless, a 132 on any section is impressive. Assuming the rest of your app is solid, apply broadly and I foresee a successful cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
125 on the Bio on the old MCAT translates out to a 9. That's fine. Don't retake.

Agreed with other posters, a 9 is the lowest acceptable score in my opinion. Good job OP a 512 is pretty strong!

I'm sure you'll be fine at 90% of schools. Although if I were an adcom, I suppose I'd be wondering why there is such a huge section disparity.

I have a very, very similar breakdown (1 point lower on the Psych), and it has been a bit of an issue. I've had one II (waitlisted), a smattering of rejections, and a lot of silence. I spoke with a member of the admissions committee at a school from which I was rejected, and he said that the only reason the school rejected me was because of the low bio section, and he encouraged me to retake the MCAT and reapply next year (since he strongly suspected that my MCAT score would prevent me from getting in anywhere this year).

Of course, this is just one opinion. I still think that you can make up for a low bio score if the rest of your application is stellar, but I just wanted to let you know my experience as someone who is in a very similar position to yours. If you want to message me, I would happy to discuss this in more detail.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users