Unbalanced MCAT Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pat167

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently took the MCAT for a second time and scored a 31P (PS 7, VR 11, BS 13). The first time I took the test I got a 26N (PS 9, VR 8, BS 9). I was just wondering if the 7 will be looked down upon by adcoms even though my previous MCAT shows that I am capable of scoring at least a 9 on PS. I'm planning to apply early so I'd prefer not to take the test again. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I recently took the MCAT for a second time and scored a 31P (PS 7, VR 11, BS 13). The first time I took the test I got a 26N (PS 9, VR 8, BS 9). I was just wondering if the 7 will be looked down upon by adcoms even though my previous MCAT shows that I am capable of scoring at least a 9 on PS. I'm planning to apply early so I'd prefer not to take the test again. Any advice?

No one really knows. The only person that can give you a true answer is an adcom such as LizzyM. And even then, her advice would only be specific to her school. Some say a 7 in any section weeds you out, but others have gotten in with a 7, so it really depends on how schools feel. Now in your situation, you have a previous mcat with a 9 in VR, so I'm pretty sure you're going to be taking one for the team and can hopefully let the future applicants know how you fared lol.

If I were you, I'd just apply to the schools that I wanted to and take it from there (unless you are hardcore enough to study again and retake, but even then, would you want a 3rd retake, maybe score higher, maybe not? have your app in early or late?)

Decisions Decisions Decisions!

Well the MCAT according to researchers correlates with USMLE step 1 exams. Obviously ADCOM are looking for a student who can perform on standardized exams since the board exams are essential.

"The Biological Sciences section most directly correlates to success on the USMLE Step 1 exam, with a correlation coefficient of .553 vs .491 for Physical Sciences and .397 for Verbal Reasoning". So even though people on SDN kept ranting about the VR having the most correlation it's BS > PS > VR.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12377692?dopt=AbstractPlus

I honestly can't tell you how you will fare with a 7 on the PS since I have no experience. I can tell you that I scored a 7 on the VR and gained multiple acceptances. The good news is that Biological Sciences was your strongest section with a very impressive score so stay positive. I hope my vague response helped you some what. Best of luck!

I know someone who got 3 acceptances into MD with a 7 on PS. His overall score was almost identical to yours (BS 12 and VR 11). Also, his ECs were stellar. I would not retake if I were you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well the MCAT according to researchers correlates with USMLE step 1 exams. Obviously ADCOM are looking for a student who can perform on standardized exams since the board exams are essential.

"The Biological Sciences section most directly correlates to success on the USMLE Step 1 exam, with a correlation coefficient of .553 vs .491 for Physical Sciences and .397 for Verbal Reasoning". So even though people on SDN kept ranting about the VR having the most correlation it's BS > PS > VR.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12377692?dopt=AbstractPlus

I honestly can't tell you how you will fare with a 7 on the PS since I have no experience. I can tell you that I scored a 7 on the VR and gained multiple acceptances. The good news is that Biological Sciences was your strongest section with a very impressive score so stay positive. I hope my vague response helped you some what. Best of luck!

is there anyway to view that article without having a subscription?

As a result of this study,do you think that most Medical School Adcoms have adopted the "averaging of multiple MCAT scores" approach when evaluating an application? I assumed that they just concentrated on the most recent MCAT score.

Our dean is trying to bring people around to the "average" from doing whatever we wanted (why do you think it has been called a crap shoot? Sometimes it is just the luck of who is assigned your application.)