Unbalanced MCAT Score (low verbal)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dartmouth1230

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm applying to medical schools this summer (should have my app out within a few weeks) and am taking the MCAT on June 16th. I have a good GPA but can't seem to crack 10 on verbal (I've taken 5 Kaplan practice tests and 5 AAMC practice tests). I'm consistently getting 12-13 on bio, 13-14 on physics and a 9-10 on verbal.

Assuming I get a 12 bio, 13 physics and 9 verbal on the real test...would this score be fine? Ideally, I'd like to go to med schools schools like NYU/Georgetown/etc...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
9-10 aren't really low, they just look low compared to your massive science scores. I wouldn't worry too much about it if I was you. Of course, you could just shoot for 10-11 on your science sections, that way you could have a nice, balanced 30.

I got a 14b/11p/7v, what you'd call an unbalanced mcat score. I applied last cycle and didn't get into any MD programs straight up. However, in the last month I received offers from both Georgetown and UC Davis after being placed on their waitlists. Based on my experience and if you get the scores you've been getting in practice, it seems like you'll be fine. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
10 isnt really low on verbal if you can score that consistently. Your score will look a bit unbalanced if you hit your maxes in PS and BS, but not overly so. If you really want to feel safe, try and improve your verbal score. If you've already used all your VR practice, either get more (More practice tests, EK101 Verbal, TPRH) quickly, and/or go back and review your practice tests, if nothing else to review why you got the questions wrong (or right), and to practice identifying what kind of question they're asking.

For verbal reasoning strategies, search the site, check out the sticky for it first.

You're worrying about a score that could potentially hit mid-upper 30s based off of your previous scores....?

Hey sdn , first off thanks for posting your mcat study schedule and putting in all that work. It really served as a guide for me, to be honest i deviated from it alot, but thats because I have some areas that are really strong and some that dont. I have a dilemma that i need your guidance on, so ive taken all the BR cbts 1-7 and aamc's 3-8 , still have 9 10 and 11 left to do . My MCAT is next friday. My verbal score wont move from a 7, no matter what strategy I try to employ. My science scores are solid, I am consistently hitting 10- 12 range on the sciences depending on my strengths and weaknesses. As far as my verbal problem goes, I have EK 101, and I have cherry picked full lengths from it over a period of 6 months. I did not stay consistent with it , which i plan on doing this weekend and trying to go thru most of the test with heavy POST GAME after. My score still does not seem to budge, currently, I am reading the passage and skipping the details and trying to formulate a main idea. Then I attack the questions, but my practice test diagnostic tells me I am spending 90 s per question, ( which translates to 20 mins ) i could be using somewhere else. I seem to be ok on the first two passages, but then I loose track because of my timing and try to adjust but i keep getting behind. I have BR verbal, TPRH and EK 101 at my disposal. I dont want to use up my last aamcs untill I have covered my weaknesses this weekend. I would consider delaying , but I already spent 1000 dollars + on applications and Im 26 this year. I dont want to wait another year for no reason considering im graduating next year. I have applied to md and DO schools , and I have a 3.87 gpa. So please advise as to what I should do .. also to add to my verbal strategy , after formulating the main idea, i read the question stem only and try to answer it the way the author would, this helps me not get thrown off by the answer choices. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Hey sn2ed , first off thanks for posting your mcat study schedule and putting in all that work. It really served as a guide for me, to be honest i deviated from it alot, but thats because I have some areas that are really strong and some that dont. I have a dilemma that i need your guidance on, so ive taken all the BR cbts 1-7 and aamc's 3-8 , still have 9 10 and 11 left to do . My MCAT is next friday. My verbal score wont move from a 7, no matter what strategy I try to employ. My science scores are solid, I am consistently hitting 10- 12 range on the sciences depending on my strengths and weaknesses. As far as my verbal problem goes, I have EK 101, and I have cherry picked full lengths from it over a period of 6 months. I did not stay consistent with it , which i plan on doing this weekend and trying to go thru most of the test with heavy POST GAME after. My score still does not seem to budge, currently, I am reading the passage and skipping the details and trying to formulate a main idea. Then I attack the questions, but my practice test diagnostic tells me I am spending 90 s per question, ( which translates to 20 mins ) i could be using somewhere else. I seem to be ok on the first two passages, but then I loose track because of my timing and try to adjust but i keep getting behind. I have BR verbal, TPRH and EK 101 at my disposal. I dont want to use up my last aamcs untill I have covered my weaknesses this weekend. I would consider delaying , but I already spent 1000 dollars + on applications and Im 26 this year. I dont want to wait another year for no reason considering im graduating next year. I have applied to md and DO schools , and I have a 3.87 gpa. So please advise as to what I should do .. Thanks again.