UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waystinthyme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a current student in the Health Policy and Management Department at Gillings. If anyone has questions about the school, Chapel Hill area or the HPM program feel free to ask me here or via personal message.

Has anyone already been accepted to a program this cycle? Any upcoming interviews? What other programs are you considering? Who will definitely be in the class of 2015?

Look forward to hearing from some future Tar Heels! :)

-waystinthyme

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm a current student in the Health Policy and Management Department at Gillings. If anyone has questions about the school, Chapel Hill area or the HPM program feel free to ask me here or via personal message.

Has anyone already been accepted to a program this cycle? Any upcoming interviews? What other programs are you considering? Who will definitely be in the class of 2015?

Look forward to hearing from some future Tar Heels! :)

-waystinthyme

just pm-ed you!

Hi again waystinthyme! Thank you so much for the helpful information you gave me earlier. I was actually invited via email to do an interview for the Health Policy and Management program. I am very excited and anxious!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi again waystinthyme! Thank you so much for the helpful information you gave me earlier. I was actually invited via email to do an interview for the Health Policy and Management program. I am very excited and anxious!

You're welcome, glad I could help! Congrats and good luck on your upcoming interview!!

-waystinthyme

I was just accepted and am very excited! UNC is my top choice so I'm thinking about forfeiting my other apps and just making the commitment now. Although I guess I should see if anyone comes back with money. Any thoughts?? Thanks for starting this conversation.

I was just accepted and am very excited! UNC is my top choice so I'm thinking about forfeiting my other apps and just making the commitment now. Although I guess I should see if anyone comes back with money. Any thoughts?? Thanks for starting this conversation.

Congratulations! What program were you accepted to? Did you have to do an interview?

Congratulations! What program were you accepted to? Did you have to do an interview?
Hey Tarheel11, I was accepted to the MHA program. Interviewed on Monday - was very quick and relaxed. I thought the information sessions that day were also very helpful, especially the student panel. They have a very quick and efficient process!

Hey Tarheel11, I was accepted to the MHA program. Interviewed on Monday - was very quick and relaxed. I thought the information sessions that day were also very helpful, especially the student panel. They have a very quick and efficient process!

Sounds Great! I have an interview on February the 25th and Im so anxious to get it over with. Im glad to hear its quick and relaxed! :thumbup:

Hey,
I applied to the MHA program just a day before their priority deadline, but I haven't heard back yet. Would you mind sharing your profile?
Haven't received a rejection either so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
I have been accepted at Pitt, and I am keen on Pitt because of their great external relations and career development. I feel like this is lacking at UNC, and I for one will need it considering that I am entering the MHA straight from undergrad without any work ex.

PS: Is the tuition per semester for the MHA = 13K approx?

Last edited:
Hey,
I applied to the MHA program just a day before their priority deadline, but I haven't heard back yet. Would you mind sharing your profile?

GPA: 3.7, business/marketing major
GRE Verbal: 161
GRE Quant: 155
2-3 years experience in hospitals and then private sector

Not sure if that helps. Good luck! The Pitt program sounds interesting.

Hey guys! Do you guys know the deadline for UNC? Is it on the 15th?

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm obviously a little biased, but I'd say it's very hard to turn down your first choice school. I guess it comes down to what is most important to you--the overall costs of your education or non-financial factors (fit, student experience, curriculum, etc.). Even if I were going to school for free, I'd be miserable if the school wasn't a good fit for me.

Additionally, UNC is an excellent value. It'll be pretty hard (even with a financial award) to find a school that is cheaper than UNC, especially if you are in-state or obtain in-state residency during your second year.

Good luck with your decision, and feel free to reach out if you have any other specific questions!

-waystinthyme

Last edited:
Hey just wondering after you got into your program how long it took for UNC to notify you about your financial aid package. Also do you know if they ever give in state tution to out of state people in their first year in MPH programs or is that type of scholarship just for PhD programs!

Hey just wondering after you got into your program how long it took for UNC to notify you about your financial aid package. Also do you know if they ever give in state tution to out of state people in their first year in MPH programs or is that type of scholarship just for PhD programs!

Note: I applied a few years ago--this info will likely vary by year, funding availability and/or by department.

Interviewed: Late February
Accepted: Early March
Scholarship/Funding Info: Early April

-waystinthyme

I have a question, about ow big is the incoming class for Health Policy and Management? I couldnt find this information on the website

Note: I applied a few years ago--this info will likely vary by year, funding availability and/or by department.

Interviewed: Late February
Accepted: Early March
Scholarship/Funding Info: Early April

-waystinthyme

So do they wait until you have accepted the admissions offer to tell you about funding? It would be good to be able to compare financial packages

So do they wait until you have accepted the admissions offer to tell you about funding? It would be good to be able to compare financial packages

I had already accepted my offer when I heard about scholarships, but I am not sure if this is standard procedure. You may want to email your contact at the school to determine if specific deadlines exist regarding decisions about financial packages.

-waystinthyme

waystinthyme,

I was just invited to an interview today in March. I've been looking for information about the interview and I have found that most people said it's pretty relaxed. I was wondering the likelihood of getting admitted if you've been invited for an interview. Also is there an opportunity for a phone interview instead? Would the phone interview diminish your likelihood of getting admitted instead of an in person interview? It's just that it would be hard for me to miss work.

waystinthyme,

I was just invited to an interview today in March. I've been looking for information about the interview and I have found that most people said it's pretty relaxed. I was wondering the likelihood of getting admitted if you've been invited for an interview. Also is there an opportunity for a phone interview instead? Would the phone interview diminish your likelihood of getting admitted instead of an in person interview? It's just that it would be hard for me to miss work.

Congrats!

Receiving an invitation to interview is a good sign, as not all applicants are invited to interview; however, an interview isn't a guarantee of admission. I'm not sure of the exact percentage of interviewed applicants who receive an offer, but I do know that not all interviewees get offers.

I believe the program requires all domestic applicants to have in-person interviews; however, I would encourage you to reach out to your contact at the school and ask about the possibility of a phone interview.

-waystinthyme

Hey everyone,

I had a question about the admissions timeline. SOPHAs sent my application on 12/19. Assuming that UNC received my application the first week of January, that means they've had my app for >6 weeks. I just checked my ApplyYourself portal and it recently updated to say "Status Completed on 2/4/2013". Does anyone know what that means? And is wrong if I contact the admissions for a decision? I'm getting worried and anxious :scared:

Thanks!

My app was completed on 11/28/12 and I haven't heard anything. I emailed them 3 weeks ago (10 weeks after initial submission, when they say it takes 6-8 weeks) and said I'd hear back in 2 weeks tops. Nothing yet...tick tock!

Hey everyone,

I had a question about the admissions timeline. SOPHAs sent my application on 12/19. Assuming that UNC received my application the first week of January, that means they've had my app for >6 weeks. I just checked my ApplyYourself portal and it recently updated to say "Status Completed on 2/4/2013". Does anyone know what that means? And is wrong if I contact the admissions for a decision? I'm getting worried and anxious :scared:

Thanks!

My app was completed on 11/28/12 and I haven't heard anything. I emailed them 3 weeks ago (10 weeks after initial submission, when they say it takes 6-8 weeks) and said I'd hear back in 2 weeks tops. Nothing yet...tick tock!

Which department are you two applying to? I'm somewhat familiar with the process in HPM, but unfortunately I don't know anything about the processes and/or timelines within the other departments.

-waystinthyme

Which department are you two applying to? I'm somewhat familiar with the process in HPM, but unfortunately I don't know anything about the processes and/or timelines within the other departments.

-waystinthyme

I applied to the Health Behavior department. Would you happen to know what "Completed Status" means?

Also, given that UNC is rolling admission, the longer it takes to hear back from them, does that mean the more likely you are to be rejected? :confused:

I applied to the Health Behavior department. Would you happen to know what "Completed Status" means?

Also, given that UNC is rolling admission, the longer it takes to hear back from them, does that mean the more likely you are to be rejected? :confused:

I'm also applying to Health Behavior and this is going on 13 weeks since my app was completed!

I'm also applying to Health Behavior and this is going on 13 weeks since my app was completed!

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with their process...hopefully you'll hear some good news soon!

-waystinthyme

Last edited:
Just received my acceptance for the MSPH program in HPM! I'm still in the decision making process, but UNC offers an excellent option to consider. Very excited about the possibility!!

Applied (all HPM): UNC MSPH, MN MPH, MN MHA, WI MPA/MPH, Columbia, Harvard (policy), GW (policy), UIC, UMich
Accepted: UNC, MN MPH, WI MPA, GW
Rejected: UMich
Waiting: UIC, Harvard, Columbia, WI MPH, MN MHA (interview scheduled)

Just received my acceptance for the MSPH program in HPM! I'm still in the decision making process, but UNC offers an excellent option to consider. Very excited about the possibility!!

Applied (all HPM): UNC MSPH, MN MPH, MN MHA, WI MPA/MPH, Columbia, Harvard (policy), GW (policy), UIC, UMich

Congrats on UNC! Im interviewing for the same exact program on Monday. When did you interview?

congrats!!

-waystinthyme

Tarheel11: How did the interview go? What did they ask you? Who were the interviewers? What do you think they are looking for in a prospective student? Any trick questions?

waystinthyme: Same questions

Tarheel11: How did the interview go? What did they ask you? Who were the interviewers? What do you think they are looking for in a prospective student? Any trick questions?

my interview was two years ago, but I think the process is still pretty similar...

interview:
pretty laid back, no trick questions, nothing 'off the wall'
interviewers: one student and one faculty member

-waystinthyme

Waystinthyme pretty much has it covered. My interview today went well, just dont be nervous and give it your best shot. There are no set questions, they pretty much tailor the interview to what they found from your application. You can do a search online for sample grad school interview questions and practice with those. I dont feel like theyre trying to trick you in any way.

Has anyone who has been admitted received information on merit funding? I talked with someone in admissions at the end of January who said those decisions would be available "in a few weeks." Just curious since it's been about a month since then.

Congrats on UNC! Im interviewing for the same exact program on Monday. When did you interview?
I interviewed on 2/18.

Just an FYI so you know what to expect as far as timeline for a decision -

I'm not sure what they told you at your interview yesterday, but the professor I interviewed with told me at the end of my interview that the AdCom meets on Friday, and he would let me know their recommendation, either way, after that meeting. I received an email on Friday afternoon from the professor, saying that the AdCom has recommended me for admission, but I still haven't heard official word from the graduate school (should come this week, I'm told). So, unless your interview professor lets you know personally after the AdCom meeting, you may wait another week or so to hear the official word from the Grad School.

Glad that it went well, and I hope the news is good! Good luck!

I interviewed on 2/18.

Just an FYI so you know what to expect as far as timeline for a decision -

I'm not sure what they told you at your interview yesterday, but the professor I interviewed with told me at the end of my interview that the AdCom meets on Friday, and he would let me know their recommendation, either way, after that meeting. I received an email on Friday afternoon from the professor, saying that the AdCom has recommended me for admission, but I still haven't heard official word from the graduate school (should come this week, I'm told). So, unless your interview professor lets you know personally after the AdCom meeting, you may wait another week or so to hear the official word from the Grad School.

Glad that it went well, and I hope the news is good! Good luck!

Thank you so much for the information! They told us we would hear back in 48 hrs so I think thats probably an unofficial decision but I will definitely wait it out until Friday to see what the outcome is!

Has anyone who has been admitted received information on merit funding? I talked with someone in admissions at the end of January who said those decisions would be available "in a few weeks." Just curious since it's been about a month since then.

Processes and procedures vary greatly by department--which department did you apply to?

-waystinthyme

Processes and procedures vary greatly by department--which department did you apply to?

-waystinthyme
I've been admitted to Health Behavior. As a side note, thanks for all of your advice and insight, waysinthyme. It's been very helpful!

I've been admitted to Health Behavior. As a side note, thanks for all of your advice and insight, waysinthyme. It's been very helpful!

Were you admitted to Health Behavior today? I'm still waiting to hear and am getting quite anxious!

No problem! I wish I knew a bit more about the other departments!

-waystinthyme

Officialy accepted for the MSPH HPM program! It was my first choice so im very excited!

Anyone know of any good apartments for grad students in the chapel hill area?