UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health - Fall 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MadisonJacket

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, who is going? Y'all looking at apartments yet? Anyone else upset that UNC lost last night to Pittsburg?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not official yet, but it is most definitely my top. What program are you? I'm Masters-to-PhD in Epi.

Are you going to accepted students day this Friday???

It's not official yet, but it is most definitely my top. What program are you? I'm Masters-to-PhD in Epi.

Are you going to accepted students day this Friday???

I'm in their MHA program.

Wish I could go to their accepted students day! I'll be in Chicago for a business trip, unfortunately.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, who is going? Y'all looking at apartments yet? Anyone else upset that UNC lost last night to Pittsburg?

I'm most likely going to UNC too! I have started looking at apartments and am hoping to check some out soon. I know people living in Chapel Hill, so I'm hoping to get some advice. I'll def share anything I learn here. UNC is a great place, and I'm sure we will all be happy with our choice :).

I'm most likely going to UNC too! I have started looking at apartments and am hoping to check some out soon. I know people living in Chapel Hill, so I'm hoping to get some advice. I'll def share anything I learn here. UNC is a great place, and I'm sure we will all be happy with our choice :).

Yeah I'm currently looking at listings on hotpads.com. I'm hoping to stay near the medical campus, but I've always been fond of Carrboro because of the Farmer's Market there and the neat little shops. So many choices! Rent is also cheap there compared to where I'm living now, so that's good news.

I just know that it gets "questionable" once you go north of Rosemary, but I've been in that area and it really isn't too bad.

I'll be in the MHA program in the fall! Just started looking at apartments online too, and it's a little overwhelming.

Thanks! Does anyone know if they'll send out a list of students or something eventually? I will be looking for a roommate, but not sure where to start.

Thanks! Does anyone know if they'll send out a list of students or something eventually? I will be looking for a roommate, but not sure where to start.

Not sure, but I hope it's soon. I'd like to have a place picked out sooner than later, but perhaps reaching out to those on this forum for potential roommates wouldn't be a bad start.

I inquired about the Facebook group, and they stated that within the next few weeks the students that have paid the enrollment deposit will be put in touch with two current students that will provide us with this information.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all,

I went to UNC's admitted students day and fell in love all over again. The school is beautiful, the faculty were nice (and answered all my questions), the students seem truly happy, and the day was very well organized. If you have any questions about the admitted students day, feel free to ask me if you weren't able to go! Again, I think anyone who chooses UNC will be happy there :).

Importantly, I got some VERY helpful information for those of us apartment hunting in Chapel Hill. I've scanned and attached some info I got about area housing prices and locations. I suggest starting with the Housing and Transportation Hints document because it provides some things to consider regarding what county/area to live in. That document also lists a few apartments that students have liked and not liked. From there, the Housing Guide is very helpful because it lists prices of some of the local apartment complexes. However, please note this housing guide does not list anywhere near every option available but it is a great place to start. The "Housing and Transportation Hints" document was made in the Health Behavior department, but the information seems relevant for anyone considering Gillings or UNC in general. I hope this information helps others!

Good luck everyone, and I hope meet some of you in the fall (if I ever get the guts to commit hehe).

Attachments

• UNC Chapel Hill Housing Guide.PDF
    196.8 KB · Views: 133
  • UNC Housing and Transportation Hints.PDF
    1.1 MB · Views: 116
Reactions: 2 users
If you're married and/or have kids, family housing at Baity Hill is very convenient and really nice for student housing.

Members don't see this ad :)
did anyone ask the current students of UNC regarding summer internships? Did majority of them manage to get paid internship during the summer? or during second year ?

How's the housing search going? Any word from UNC about finding a roommate match?

I've been doing housing search for the past week or so. I'm pleased with the options available so far, as the cost of living seems to be cheaper in CH than where I live in Wisconsin.

So far I've narrowed down my options to the Carrboro area. It's a tad farther away from the public health campus than I'd like, but I plan on biking to class anyway.

did anyone ask the current students of UNC regarding summer internships? Did majority of them manage to get paid internship during the summer? or during second year ?

I recall it being 50/50 for paid or unpaid internships, and a lot of those carried on throughout the second year since the course load is a bit lighter.

I haven't heard a word from UNC yet :shrug:

I'm assuming they will reach out after the deposit date has passed and the dust settles

@MadisonJacket and @Goldnchika26 thanks for the updates! I'm also leaning toward Carrboro. Downtown is attractive due to proximity to Gillings, but I'd rather live outside the crazy undergrad zone. Sleep on a Thursday night is just not something I'm willing to give up.

I also have decided on Carrboro. I'm pretty sure I'm going with Rock Creek apartments. They aren't the fanciest, but they are occupied mostly by grad students and the price is right. I've also heard good things about the management, and they are the first stop on a bus that runs frequently and stops at the Health Sciences library in front of Gillings.

The Health Behavior department has a facebook group as an FYI, but I'm not sure about the other departments.

^That's a good area.

I'll likely be in Chancellor Square, which is pretty much on the edge of Carrboro and Chapel Hill. I've visited the apartment complex a couple of times during my visits and it's in walking distance of everything.

Really excited about this fall!

@Emma1600 haha seriously, sleep is a precious commodity.

here is something a current UNC student sent me on housing.

Attachments

• UNC Chapel Hill Housing Guide.PDF
    264.8 KB · Views: 81
@Emma1600 haha seriously, sleep is a precious commodity.

here is something a current UNC student sent me on housing.

Thanks! I noticed a link to that on this site included in an Email from the department yesterday. I'm looking into Ashbrook. It's a bit farther, but it seems very doable by bike (or a long walk). Has anyone been to that area?

Thanks! I noticed a link to that on this site included in an Email from the department yesterday. I'm looking into Ashbrook. It's a bit farther, but it seems very doable by bike (or a long walk). Has anyone been to that area?

I've driven by that area a couple of times going to and from Greensboro. It is quiet there, from my experience.

Hello! I'm finishing med school at UNC but did BSPH at the School of Public Health here too. It's a great place! I'm moving for residency (hopefully it's only temporary!), and am selling my place here. Anyone interested please take a look. It's very safe, quiet and full of grad students and families. It's on a busline and also adjacent to the park and ride lot:
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/reo/4433081866.html
If interested, please contact through craigslist as I do not check SDN messages frequently, or email [email protected]

Cheers, and good luck to you all!

anyone get their big sib yet? or an invite to the fb page? getttttting antsy here :unsure:

No word on a big sib yet!

There's definitely already a FB page for each department, but I think we're getting invited to a newly admitted students page in the near future (for HPM at least).

If anyone's interested in finding a roommate, www.heelshousing.com has a roommate board that looks helpful. Might be nice to find a fellow Gillings grad student though.

If you want entertainment, join the Facebook group "Overheard at UNC".