UNC OOS-- 3.88 BCP, 3.65 sGPA, 3.50 GPA; 22AA, 21 PAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willwash

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any shot at all?

I know those numbers are pretty weaksauce for UNC OOS, but wait there's more!

I am a native of NC, did my undergrad at UNC as an in-state student, and then joined the military and later changed my residency. This was for tax purposes, not because I ever cared to be a resident of any other state.

I really want to return home, but am I wasting my money on a supplemental app?

Members don't see this ad.

Our stats are relatively similar and I'm applying. Although it sucks that you gave up residency! I think you should go for it. Can't hurt, right? I think you're in the range?

Is that really that weak for UNC? a 3.88 BCP? :bang:

Anyway, they seem like they take everything into account. I'm sure having gone to undergrad at UNC can only help your application. If I remember correctly, the last question of the supplemental asks if there's anything else you want to say. You should say you used to live there, want to return, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, not the 3.88, I think that's about on par, I'm talking about the 3.50 overall GPA and the DAT scores, which are good no doubt, but not UNC OOS good.

Haha, not the 3.88, I think that's about on par, I'm talking about the 3.50 overall GPA and the DAT scores, which are good no doubt, but not UNC OOS good.
Oh I see. I think the DAT is UNC good! I'd say give it a shot. They care about more than just your stats, and you'll probably regret it if you don't at least try to apply :)

"2. Members of the Armed Forces and their dependents - Active duty personnel in the armed services, and their spouses, dependent children and dependent relatives may be eligible for in-state tuition. An active duty member of the military (and their eligible family members) who qualifies for admission to an institution of higher education in the State may qualify for in-state tuition in two ways:
• as a domiciliary of the State, or
• under a special provision of North Carolina and federal law requiring that non-resident active duty military personnel and their eligible family members be charged in-state tuition when assigned to a duty station in North Carolina."

"3. Members of the North Carolina National Guard - Any member of the North Carolina National Guard, regardless of whether the person is a legal resident of North Carolina, is eligible for in-state tuition rate during the Guard Member's period of service whether in a reserve or active status. Complete the Armed Services member of the Reclassification application and submit proof of active N. C. National Guard membership and a recent pay statement."

Not sure either of these apply, but worth calling and asking anyway. If your parents still live there, that will help as well. I don't see this on there, but my parents moved after I graduated from high school and my home state lists graduating from an instate high school as one way to secure instate in that case. Maybe NC has something similar as well.

Well, I'm off to submit my supplemental app right now.

I did play the "I'm a North Carolina native" card pretty hard, but it's very cut and dry for military members...if NC ain't on your LES, you're OOS. Period. So I mentioned it in my supplemental and asked that, to whatever extent they may consider NC loyalty, heritage, and alumnus status as factors in the OOS applicant pool, they do so.

It's my dream shot, and I'm hoping for an interview and eventual acceptance, but I'm just happy to know that with my numbers I should be OK to get into some dental school somewhere.

Reactions: 2 users
Well, I'm off to submit my supplemental app right now.

I did play the "I'm a North Carolina native" card pretty hard, but it's very cut and dry for military members...if NC ain't on your LES, you're OOS. Period. So I mentioned it in my supplemental and asked that, to whatever extent they may consider NC loyalty, heritage, and alumnus status as factors in the OOS applicant pool, they do so.

It's my dream shot, and I'm hoping for an interview and eventual acceptance, but I'm just happy to know that with my numbers I should be OK to get into some dental school somewhere.
Aww good luck dude! I'm applying there too but I've almost started to root harder for you than for myself haha

Aww good luck dude! I'm applying there too but I've almost started to root harder for you than for myself haha

You, know, I had to read your screen name like 10 times to realize it wasn't "hell of a future dentist". LOL, thanks for the well wishes and good luck to you too!

Dropped off my application fee and required documents in the mail this afternoon.

Reactions: 1 user
You, know, I had to read your screen name like 10 times to realize it wasn't "hell of a future dentist". LOL, thanks for the well wishes and good luck to you too!

Dropped off my application fee and required documents in the mail this afternoon.
lol ya... didn't realize you could put spaces when I first made the name. Oh well