Uncertainty about POD school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Jekyll75

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this question has been beaten half to death but I really need to make a decision soon. I would like some responses from current students and pods as well. As of right now I am applying to D.O and M.D school but I've recently learned that foot ortho is basically podiatry school. I have interest in the field because it goes along the lines of sports medicine. My gpa is a 3.7s&C, my mcat is 25. The question I have is after the first three years how is the residency outlook ? I have heard that there isn't too much job security. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm confused about your question: "is after the first three years how is the residency outlook ?" After the first three years of school? Because there's four years of school... then three years of residency. If you're asking about residency shortage.. I wouldn't worry about it, I know I'm not. I have faith in myself that I'll preform well in school and secure a residency. I think there's just as much difficulty (if not more) in securing a residency as a MD/DO unless you just want to be a GP.
And job security? That too comes down to you. You could go to Harvard med then get an ortho residency and be without a job if you don't work hard enough at it. What I'm saying is no matter if you're a nurse, PA, MD, DO, DPM anything, your success will ultimately come down to you. Work can always be found as a DPM in my opinion, even if that means working at a nursing home, there will always be work for those willing to work.
Go to a school and become something you love, not something you think will make you money. Its cliche but true. Don't spend the next 7 years of your life and hundreds of thousands of dollars on pod school if you're not in love with lower extremity medicine.

I'm confused about your question: "is after the first three years how is the residency outlook ?" After the first three years of school? Because there's four years of school... then three years of residency. If you're asking about residency shortage.. I wouldn't worry about it, I know I'm not. I have faith in myself that I'll preform well in school and secure a residency. I think there's just as much difficulty (if not more) in securing a residency as a MD/DO unless you just want to be a GP.
And job security? That too comes down to you. You could go to Harvard med then get an ortho residency and be without a job if you don't work hard enough at it. What I'm saying is no matter if you're a nurse, PA, MD, DO, DPM anything, your success will ultimately come down to you. Work can always be found as a DPM in my opinion, even if that means working at a nursing home, there will always be work for those willing to work.
Go to a school and become something you love, not something you think will make you money. Its cliche but true. Don't spend the next 7 years of your life and hundreds of thousands of dollars on pod school if you're not in love with lower extremity medicine.
for some odd reason i put 3, when i ment after 4 years. Thanks for the informative info. My only dislike about pods is the possibility of ending up not working in the sports atmosphere. Thats why im a little scared to make the jump completely.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no certainty that you would be working in the sports atmosphere as an MD/DO ortho either. Either career is what you make it. It more about the connections that you make with other physicians to get that atmosphere that you want.

Reactions: 1 user
I know this question has been beaten half to death but I really need to make a decision soon. I would like some responses from current students and pods as well. As of right now I am applying to D.O and M.D school but I've recently learned that foot ortho is basically podiatry school. I have interest in the field because it goes along the lines of sports medicine. My gpa is a 3.7s&C, my mcat is 25. The question I have is after the first three years how is the residency outlook ? I have heard that there isn't too much job security. Thank you in advance!

If you want to do Ortho go to MD or DO school. Podiatry is not just foot and ankle surgery. A good part of your time is diabetics, wound care, dermatology, etc. You can get the position you want if you put the time to get it.

If you want to do Ortho go to MD or DO school. Podiatry is not just foot and ankle surgery. A good part of your time is diabetics, wound care, dermatology, etc. You can get the position you want if you put the time to get it.
I see, if you wouldnt mind, i have a few questions for you. out of undergrad was POD school your first choice? and how is your typical day as pod ?

I see, if you wouldnt mind, i have a few questions for you. out of undergrad was POD school your first choice? and how is your typical day as pod ?

For me.. I knew I wanted to practice medicine. I worked for a dermatologist and fell in love with the specialty. But I'm also an athlete and shadowed multiple orthos and also loved that specialty. I knew I wanted to do one of the two, I wished I could do both but in the MD/DO world that wouldn't be possible. I thought about maybe going PA so that I could practice in different specialties but I just really didn't want to be a mid level (absolutely nothing wrong with the profession and they have my full respect, I just didn't want it for myself). Then in my derm practice a podiatrist came in to help our doctor do a matrixectomy and I spoke with him and it clicked! A profession where I could do both derm and sports medicine! It was perfect. There was also so many other paths I could go down with the same degree. You can literally do sooo many different sub specialties as a DPM. I also liked the fact that I would probably have a decent lifestyle. Unless I wanted to I probably would never HAVE to be on call. I'd never have to make a decision that meant life or death for a patient. I could work 2 days a week or 7 if I wanted, there's just so much room to shape the practice and lifestyle you want. This is true of a lot of specialties but to me pod just fit all of my needs.

I suggest you shadow multiple pods and talk to them/see what they do. If you plan on applying you're going to have to anyway but you really don't seem to have much of a grasp on the profession yet or a true desire to practice podiatry. And like I said, in my opinion if you're planning on spending all that money and time you better know damn sure this is the profession for you. It's not for everyone and that's fine. Just figure out if it's for you before you apply. Don't do it just because you want to be called a doctor and you have the stats to get in. I'm sure you'll find yourself regretting it if those are your only reasons

It was not my first choice. I wanted to do medicine and I ended up in podiatry after being rejected from MD and DO schools. I applied after doing my research on the profession I was more attracted to the diabetic/ wound care aspect of podiatry. I almost didn't apply because I did not want to be a surgeon.

I am just out of residency. I have clinic 4 to 5 days a week. I start at 830 and clinic ends at 4. I usually have 18 to 28 patients scheduled for clinic. My wound care clinic day is currently slow. I see patients for routine care, wounds, heel pain, fractures, bunions, hammertoes etc. I'm doing nail avulsions, heel injections and prescribing orthotics. Right now I am doing 6 surgical cases in the OR a month. I also don't take call. :soexcited:

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
It was not my first choice. I wanted to do medicine and I ended up in podiatry after being rejected from MD and DO schools. I applied after doing my research on the profession I was more attracted to the diabetic/ wound care aspect of podiatry. I almost didn't apply because I did not want to be a surgeon.

I am just out of residency. I have clinic 4 to 5 days a week. I start at 830 and clinic ends at 4. I usually have 18 to 28 patients scheduled for clinic. My wound care clinic day is currently slow. I see patients for routine care, wounds, heel pain, fractures, bunions, hammertoes etc. I am do nail avulsions, heel injections and prescribing orthotics. Right now I am doing 6 surgical cases in the OR a month. I also don't take call. :soexcited:

You are my idol right now. As a first year student I find myself during the tough times thinking what did I get myself into? Looking around at my non-medical student friends as they go about their daily life, partying, having fun and I'm studying 16-18 hours a day. Your post is refreshing to read because it means there's a light at the end of the tunnel and it looks bright and wonderful. And congrats on getting into something you wanted to do.

Reactions: 1 users
OP: I highly suggest that you shadow a few pods and make sure this is something you want to do. And don't be afraid to ask them what they think of the field. I know that it's scary to jump into this huge commitment without really knowing what the exact outcome is, but as someone said above, it is what you make of it. If you're really concerned with residency placement, then I would find a school that has a record of high residency placement in the last five years.

Good luck with your decision.

Reactions: 1 user