Undecided on Podiatry or Physical Therapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UndecidedHealth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was just looking for some input. I have shadowed a variety of professions from MD/DO to PA to DPM to DPT, I am leaning towards either DPM or DPT. Stats: Undergraduate GPA was horrible due to family deaths, post bac GPA was a 3.79, graduate (MPH) GPA was a 3.97. Current stats MCAT June 2012 (8,8,8,L) = 24L. Overall science GPA 3.11 cumulative GPA 3.3, degrees = BA Biology, MPH. I have enjoyed both settings of DPM and DPT, I like the surgical side of DPM as well as wound care, but I also like the ICU & Cancer rehabilitation side of DPT.

I will most likely be applying to Barry for podiatry if I decide to go this route as I am current living in south Florida and I have a lease here for another year.

I would just like some input on what you guys would do in my situation. Apply to both? Pick one?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

They are two extremely different fields. At NYCPM we do a 2 week PT rotation during 3rd year and while it was a fun experience, I could not see myself doing that for the rest of my life. If you have any interest at all in doing surgery or invasive procedures I would say PT is probably not the field for you.

Your username fits your situation!!!!! You went to a one yr post baac and then a 2yr MPH program, why did you go get the MPH?

Have you shadowed a podiatrist yet? If you ask many doctors about the PT profession most will not give you an answer you like. Back when I was in your current situation in my sophomore year of undergrad when I was between pre-PA, nursing, and PT I talked with DOs, MDs, DPMs who each said that they don't see the joy in becoming a PT. BUT at the same time, the doctors aren't the best people to take as a reason for which route to go.

Shadow both right now, but really I think you should have been doing this at a good point in the last three years since you graduated (assuming it was a 1yr post baac and then 2yr MPH). Not the nicest advice, but really the only person that can answer which field is best is YOU. So shadow a podiatrist and then shadow a PT. Your grades are good enough to get you into Barry. PT schools though are very competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your username fits your situation!!!!! You went to a one yr post baac and then a 2yr MPH program, why did you go get the MPH?

Have you shadowed a podiatrist yet? If you ask many doctors about the PT profession most will not give you an answer you like. Back when I was in your current situation in my sophomore year of undergrad when I was between pre-PA, nursing, and PT I talked with DOs, MDs, DPMs who each said that they don't see the joy in becoming a PT. BUT at the same time, the doctors aren't the best people to take as a reason for which route to go.

Shadow both right now, but really I think you should have been doing this at a good point in the last three years since you graduated (assuming it was a 1yr post baac and then 2yr MPH). Not the nicest advice, but really the only person that can answer which field is best is YOU. So shadow a podiatrist and then shadow a PT. Your grades are good enough to get you into Barry. PT schools though are very competitive.

What did you end up choosing ?

I have shadowed both a DPM and a variety of DPTs, I was originally pre DO or DPM, but I was in a really bad car accident about a month before I took my MCAT. I took the MCAT in a sling and on pain meds because of the accident( AAMC wouldn't refund my fee) , with the 32 weeks of physical therapy I needed from the car accident I found that I also had an interest in physical therapy.

I finished most post bac work in 6 months or less and I finished a 2 year MPH within a year( I was still undecided so more of a backup plan since I enjoyed epidemiology) .

I don't know if that adds any perspective. So far I have enjoyed the inpatient ICU rehab of PT and everything about DPM (except excessive nail clipping).

Every one I have shadowed except for the DPM has told me not to do their profession.

I chose podiatry because when I was in HS I always wanted to be a podiatrist. Then when I got to college the pre-professional advisers at my school must have had absolutely no clue whatsoever on what Podiatry school was so they said, but didn't tell me that they weren't entirely sure, that if you wanted to become a podiatrist you applied to MD school and then you pick podiatry as your concentration in year 3. I knew I didn't have the grades to get into MD school, so I gave up on that. So with someone who is paid by a natural science residential college to know these things I took them at their word. It wasn't until the start of my senior year when I was down the pre-PA route that I wanted to find back up plans and then I stumbled upon podiatry school. So then I went to see an adviser again to ask them about podiatry schools and again they said something like "I don't know anything about podiatry schools." So I researched it myself and realized that DPM school is in my range to get accepted and it is something I wanted to do when I was in HS and still did at that time.

At least it sounds as if you have experience shadowing all of them. Wait, so physical therapists have straight up told you that they dislike their job? WoW! At least that is the way I would take that last sentence. Again, you say that you have seen an ICU rehab PT but you make it sound like it was inside the hospital. You should probably get some experience shadowing regular PTs because the inpatient PT isn't the only job prospects out there and those are also probably the harder PT jobs to get.

I know how you feel about the MPH program because I am also applying to an MS or MPH in Biostatistics programs this year as well simply for a backup plan.