Under 18 EMT

futurenavaldoctor128

Oncology or Psychiatry? Message me
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school has recently announced a program that will allow us to take classes afterschool at the local college to have us become EMT's during sophomore or junior year. Should I go for it? Would it be an interesting summer job that could be like a internship before med school? Should I do it even if im not planning to go to med school? Is it even worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

My school has recently announced a program that will allow us to take classes afterschool at the local college to have us become EMT's during sophomore or junior year. Should I go for it? Would it be an interesting summer job that could be like a internship before med school? Should I do it even if im not planning to go to med school? Is it even worth it?

If it's something that would interest you, regardless of if you plan to go to med school, it's worth trying. It isn't like an internship, but it will provide you contact with the field that might help influence your decision to pursue medicine later down the line.

If it's something that would interest you, regardless of if you plan to go to med school, it's worth trying. It isn't like an internship, but it will provide you contact with the field that might help influence your decision to pursue medicine later down the line.
Would it be helpful on a med school application?

I use the term internship loosely, I mean more as an unconventional summer job. Washing dishes doesn't do it for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be helpful on a med school application?

I use the term internship loosely, I mean more as an unconventional summer job. Washing dishes doesn't do it for me.

Many applicants have EMT experience on their application. Like everything else, it won't guarantee an acceptance but if you put in the time, learn something and connect with people it can be a good thing. Don't do something just for an application, though; do it because it interests you.

Reactions: 1 user
If you aren't doing EMS for the right reasons, you will hate it. Even more so depending on the type of service that you run out of (911, transport or combined).
Also, are you taking about actually becoming certified before you are 18? I had to wait to take my national registry exam because I graduated high school before I was 18.

If you aren't doing EMS for the right reasons, you will hate it. Even more so depending on the type of service that you run out of (911, transport or combined).
Also, are you taking about actually becoming certified before you are 18? I had to wait to take my national registry exam because I graduated high school before I was 18.
I would only do it if I was certain. I just meant on the off chance I was 18 and decided that after thinking medicine was for me, it wasnt. I tend to change my mind alot which is one of my biggest character flaws, I admit. Our local community college offers training during junior year for a specialized program if you are expected to graduate near the top of your class. Call me cocky, but I want to prepare just in case.

If you are unsure about medicine I would definitely take advantage of becoming an EMT. This will give you a better idea whether or not medicine is for you.
I would only do it if I was certain. I just meant on the off chance I was 18 and decided that after thinking medicine was for me, it wasnt. I tend to change my mind alot which is one of my biggest character flaws, I admit. Our local community college offers training during junior year for a specialized program if you are expected to graduate near the top of your class. Call me cocky, but I want to prepare just in case.

If you are unsure about medicine I would definitely take advantage of becoming an EMT. This will give you a better idea whether or not medicine is for you.
I agree. Programs are such a rarity for under 18 year olds from the replies I have heard, it would almost be foolish not to get some on the job experience before actually doing it.

I did EMT and paramedic during premed and it really helped me to understand a lot more about the medical field. I also met several doctors who I then shadowed over the years, and who wrote letters for me for my medical school application. It's also just good training to have under your belt. If you have an interest in it (i.e., not just doing it for your resume), and if you want to investigate the medical field, then go for it!

I teach EMT class at a tech college, and you can take the EMT class before you're 18, but you have to wait for 18 to take the national registry (which you need to be licensed) and actually work as an EMT.

I did EMT and paramedic during premed and it really helped me to understand a lot more about the medical field. I also met several doctors who I then shadowed over the years, and who wrote letters for me for my medical school application. It's also just good training to have under your belt. If you have an interest in it (i.e., not just doing it for your resume), and if you want to investigate the medical field, then go for it!

I teach EMT class at a tech college, and you can take the EMT class before you're 18, but you have to wait for 18 to take the national registry (which you need to be licensed) and actually work as an EMT.
Thank you for the advice. I will look into it. It looks like an interesting way to learn about medicine

I wish I had that opportunity.

I'd take it! Maybe would've liked it better than scribing.

Last edited:

If you are interested in learning more about it, I would say go for it. For example, I graduated with a certification as an EKG technician and others in my class graduated as nurse assistants. It will give you a valuable learning experience and a possible job while you go to school.