under 3.0 club for premed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GloryofGreece

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw in the predent section, they got under 3.0 club, so we can't lose to the pre-dents, let's make one! [i know premed w/under 3.0 usually wont be premed anymore] I just got barely above 3.0 , so I still put myself in under 3.0 (in spirit :D )

Members don't see this ad.

How many C's is that?

Members don't see this ad :)
MWillie said:
How many C's is that?

a bunch. I was 3.8 freshman (doing well, pre-engineering) and then screw up sophomore year badly. Then mediocre (3.0s) and then 4.0ing again in senior year. Mine is actually 3.2s....
Come on now, we can not lose to predents! (premed with >3.0 = predent :laugh: jk) GO GO REcruit!!!

I don't know why the title of the thread has a ":cool: " smilie, it should be a ":( "

Pre-med here with 3.24 overall and I'm actually doing ok so far. Rejected by a few schools, but I do have an interview coming up. And there are still quite a few schools that I haven't heard from yet.

To those of you in similar positions, there's still a chance. Don't give up! :luck:

GloryofGreece said:
I saw in the predent section, they got under 3.0 club, so we can't lose to the pre-dents, let's make one! [i know premed w/under 3.0 usually wont be premed anymore] I just got barely above 3.0 , so I still put myself in under 3.0 (in spirit :D )

I just squeaked in under 3.0, so glad I can join up. My undergrad has me with a 3.1something, but AMCAS doesn't cancel out retakes, so 2.9. Interview in two weeks at an Allo school.

Peace

another legit <3.0 here.

Damnit Jim! said:
another legit <3.0 here.
how about this? under 3.0 or fail a class? and u can join our exclusive club. Although it be nice not to stay in here too long!

I admit i am not a legit under 3.0 guy, but i did fail a class. I was like :eek: i am screwed for med school!!! KKK me gonna ahead to postbac and redeem myself.

OK, I don't think I'll get in this year, but I'm actually starting to believe that I might....either way, I'll be a true urban legend if I do.

undergrad GPA: 2.5 post bac GPA: 3.6

I'm just stubborn. You see, I had this life changing surgery, but afterwards the psych people said I'd never be able to do math or science. Since one does not get into medical school be avoiding these two subjects, I decided to major in them. Nizche eat your heart out...somehow I did it. BA in chemistry '03.

Luckily for me, my MCAT and post back are good, plus I've got 5 years experiences working as a tech in hospitals and on ambulances.

rachmoninov3 said:
OK, I don't think I'll get in this year, but I'm actually starting to believe that I might....either way, I'll be a true urban legend if I do.

undergrad GPA: 2.5 post bac GPA: 3.6

I'm just stubborn. You see, I had this life changing surgery, but afterwards the psych people said I'd never be able to do math or science. Since one does not get into medical school be avoiding these two subjects, I decided to major in them. Nizche eat your heart out...somehow I did it. BA in chemistry '03.

Luckily for me, my MCAT and post back are good, plus I've got 5 years experiences working as a tech in hospitals and on ambulances.

Are you serious? What kind of surgery is this that would isolate math and science but leave your other cognitive powers intact?

Rachmaninov is my favorite composer (after Chopin I mean).

yposhelley said:
Are you serious? What kind of surgery is this that would isolate math and science but leave your other cognitive powers intact?

Rachmaninov is my favorite composer (after Chopin I mean).

I believe that is sarcasm.....or at least i hope.

well my cumulative was slightly over 3, but BCPM was defeinitely under....and hey!!

I got in to the school of my choice....

S

Members don't see this ad :)
2.95, even after post-bacc. Doing OK.

GloryofGreece said:

Dont' sweat it! and don't ask the people on this site for advice; they'll scare the hell out of you! I had 2 C-'s, 1 F and 1 C as an undergrad and I will be in an allopathic med school next year.

Reno said:
I believe that is sarcasm.....or at least i hope.

Incredulity. I was genuinely curious.

I was totally serious about the Rachmaninov comment, tho :D

yposhelley said:
Incredulity. I was genuinely curious.
Something to do with left hemisphere, no? C'mon neuroscience wonks - help us out!

ok yposhelley and all other interested neuronerds:

epilepsy for the first 16 years of my life.
temporal lobectomy five days after my sixteenth birthday.
The worst part, when I was much younger, before I started having frequent partial complex seizures I was close to math genius, but between the seizures and the surgery the battery of neuropsych tests said I had 'deficits' in math and science and should not even attempt anything related to those two subjects.

and yes, Mozart, Rachmaninov, and Iron Maiden ROCK!!!!!!

ah yes, and let us not forget all the GABA inhibitors, anticonvulsants, and other tricyclic antidepressents they used to keep my seizures in check...those couldn't be healthy for the old 'noodle'.

hence why I am just so damn stubborn and uber bent on becoming a doctor. Deficits or not, I am able to live the life I do because of my doctors and a miraculous surgery.

Wow - that's completely amazing. My dad had seizures when he was younger, but he eventually grew out of them. His were stress triggered from what they told him. I know that they've done surgery to remove the seizure focus for a while and that they also have the vagus nerve stimulators as well, but have you seen what they came out with this year? They came out with a new device - a neurostimulator device that is supposed to completely cure people of seizures. Of course it's only been looked at for a few months, so who knows what kind of sucess it will have. But its supposed to be programmed to recognize any abnormal activity in the seizure focus and send signals to shut it off before the seizure begins. And supposedly the patients don't notice anything. The only thing this small device requires is a battery, a few electrodes, and a program. I wonder how long the battery lasts? I'd hate to have to have my head cut open every other week to change a battery. ;) Although I'm sure I'd prefer that to having seizures every week or having massive brain surgery.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2004-08/mcog-idd082004.php

Yeah, I found it strange that there were so few Under 3.0 premeds. You premeds need to get going and nominate an Under 3.0 Club President, someone who will still be on the forum after he/she gets into med school, and is willing to help out others in a similar situation. Yah-E, the dental Under 3.0 Club President, has done a fantastic job in communicating with pre-dents. I wish all of you the best of luck

So I though I'd join in. Graduated in '01 with a 2.9 BCPM and 3.2 overall, and after a post bacc, I have a 3.16 BCPM and 3.25 overall. And 2 allo interviews!
So there is hope.

Can I join the Under 3.0 club if I bombed my High school courses. I barely graduated with less than a 3.0 almost 2.0 in fact. Currently in an allopathic school in the US, non-rural area, not in a suburb of a city.

lehavre said:
Dont' sweat it! and don't ask the people on this site for advice; they'll scare the hell out of you! I had 2 C-'s, 1 F and 1 C as an undergrad and I will be in an allopathic med school next year.

Wait. Are you sure we're not the same person?? :laugh: I failed a class and have 3 beautiful C's on my transcript... and I'll be attending an allopathic med school next year as well. People on this forum stress too much over their grades. And having crappy grades doesn't mean you're not going to get interviews at top schools (*ahem* duke...although i'm expecting a post-interview rejection :laugh: ). So don't listen to all the negative people who say you have no chance :)

I bet I have the best failing grade out of anyone. I managed to fail my swim conditioning class my last semester of college that just about made me ineligible to graduate. :D Can anyone top that? I mean all you have to do for a PE is show up to pass. Unfortunately for me I had quite a few people in my family go into the hospital that semester and I would have had to have written papers to make up the 50 min of class time that I missed. SO I decided to take the B that I would've gotten in the one hour class. What I didn't realize is that in our PE dept, if you miss 3 classes over the 3 allowed, you automatically fail. :eek: Needless to say, I had to beg the varsity gymnastics team to give me a semester's credit of PE for the year that I participated on their team (dislocated my shoulder and had to quit). Now I look back on it and laugh - I mean I failed swim conditioning - but at the time I was freaked out that I wasn't going to graduate!

Fermata said:
You might get more replies if you make this an under 3.5 topic. :D
FERMIE!!!! :mad:

this is under 3.0 ... if you aren't get out ...

WAY below a 3.0 here and I will get in ... :D :D :D :D Might take me a while but no worries. I will be a doctor!! Slacker in college here ... :(

Finally a thread I can relate too ....

lehavre said:

What if your overall GPA is 3.1, but your science GPA is a 3.9? I am so afraid they are not going to dig deep enough in my files because of my 3.1 is so unimpressive. *GULP* I'm scared. :( :eek: I am taking the MCAT in April, but all the material on it is what I've been busting my rump on for the last 3 years, so I really don't see how with a prep course it will be a big problem. I am going to have great letters of recommendation. I am even shadowing someone on staff at a local allopathic school. I've never been much for special treatment, but somehow when you really want something, I feel like it's probably good to have all your ducks in a row if you know what I mean :laugh:

legit 3.1er ..i guess you all wont let me in huh?!?????
got 2 interviews..accepted at one waiting to attend the other.
let me know if i can join ..i want to belong so bad..i will pimp you all on my net profile for realzzzz

what's with all the 3.1 gunners littering our thread? :laugh:

Msh: if you take only BCPM, then I can gladly join your club. IF it's cumulative, I'm in the <2.8 club.

Hi, all! I'm actually new to this place, but I like this thread. I feel very...at home. :laugh:

Anyway, I have a 2.85 science (before this semester's end) and a 3.05 overall.

It's an extremely touch-and-go situation, but I WILL get in. We will ALL get in, so long as we believe. See ya around! :love:

This question is for those who have less than 3.0's, 3.0's and 3.1's and have gotten interviews and acceptances to med schools. Besides your grades, what major extracurricular activites have you done? I know that a person must have a pretty impressive application if they have a 3.0 and are getting interviews so I just want to get an idea of the other things that people are doing...

Damnit Jim! said:
what's with all the 3.1 gunners littering our thread? :laugh:

Msh: if you take only BCPM, then I can gladly join your club. IF it's cumulative, I'm in the <2.8 club.

if any gpa is a 2.5 then you are in, at least that is my book! :)

these are my people. what do gunners know? they have no idea how hard we've all worked to make sure we stay under those 2.8 cutoffs.

Hello,
I am a recent post bacc student myself, with an undergrad gpa of 3.27 but with lots of dips and dives, no real consistency in per-semester grades. Post bacc is going well thus far. I'm already close to bringing my science gpa from a 2.5 to a 3.0. My question is ....1.) Does it help if you have a good grasp on Spanish (or does it not matter) and.....2.) what sort of experience do medical schools want to see from their applicants if they don't have 4.1's and 46's on their MCATS.....?

One,
Loco

PublicEnemy said:
these are my people. what do gunners know? they have no idea how hard we've all worked to make sure we stay under those 2.8 cutoffs.
Bring the noise!

lehavre said:

My hero!! :D I'm having the worst first 2 years of college anyone can have (and no I don't mean getting only Bs and Cs..horrible 1st semester as freshman, wonderful 2nd semester but not so good 1st semester as soph.). :( you guys really help me reach for what I want most. Thanks to all of you ;)

I am a legit member. I have an AMCAS gpa of 2.75, but my real gpa is still under a 3.0. I amassed 2 Ds and 1 F, plus a whole bunch of Cs, all scattered throughout.

On the plus side, I have a 3.8 grad gpa, 36 mcat and years of relevant experience.

My low gpa has brought plenty of rejections. So many I am numb to them. I am a reapplicant, and fortunately this will be my last application cycle.

Most likely I will be joinging Public Enemy at UMDNJ-SOM, but am also interviewed at Buffalo and have another interview coming up at Albany.

mshheaddoc said:
if any gpa is a 2.5 then you are in, at least that is my book! :)

yay! :thumbup:

*gives msh the secret 2.5 handshake*

Damnit Jim! said:
so says the 2.95 gunner :laugh:
I just couldn't resist a Public Enemy quote for PublicEnemy. "Nation of Millions" is my favorite hip hop record; it and the Beastie Boys "Paul's Boutique," comprise my entire rap collection.

My undergrad GPA was 2.58. But lately I've been expressing my gunner genes and managed to finish up with the 4.0 at VCU. For the second time in a week, yay me!

purplehaze98 said:
This question is for those who have less than 3.0's, 3.0's and 3.1's and have gotten interviews and acceptances to med schools. Besides your grades, what major extracurricular activites have you done? I know that a person must have a pretty impressive application if they have a 3.0 and are getting interviews so I just want to get an idea of the other things that people are doing...

Hi! I haven't been accepted, but I do have an interview at UNM on the jan 5. My Undergrad was 2.5 and my post back was 3.4. This is how I did it:

1) I have a great story: for the first 16 years of my life I had epileptic seizures, and was basically a 'professional patient'. Five days after my sixteenth birthday I underwent a curative brain surgery (see earlier post on this thread). Wammmo! A totally new life I could have never dreamed was possible. (please note, I don't recomend having epilepsy as a good way of getting into medical school ;) )

2) But from all my time as a patient, I wasn't just going to throw myself into med school without knowing if I could be a kind doctor (b/c believe me, I had known my fare share of @sshole doctors). So I took a job as a CNA in a nursing home to see if I had any right wanting to become a doctor. I have pretty much worked full time ever since (five years) while doing my undergrad.

3) On top of all that, once I knew that I liked being a CNA, and therefore had a right to think I could be a good doctor, I had to face a much greater challenge: my surgery left me with deficits in math and science. So I decided to major in chemistry with the idea that the best way to overcome the deficits was with practice, and by majoring in a hard science I would have plenty of practice. The end result? BA in chemistry from ASU with a GPA of 2.4

My advice on extra curriculars: work as a CNA/EMT/Orderly (on a med-surg floor to start out with). You'll know if you want to be a GP or a pathologist in a short time, and all of us can always use the practice with bedside manner and the melodramas that are constant in hospitals before we become residents.

well I'm off to wipe butts....

1) no one cares
2) lots of EC and community involvement with leadership roles too

hahah ijust figured it out ... if I ace post-bacc ... 2.8 gpa for my application

(it wouldn't really matter but it would) hahahah this is great but my BCMP would be like a 3.5 then i'd have my MBA as well too ...

Now to work on EC's as well ... lol

Let's see...
I've got a 2.9 undergrad, 3.5 post-bac, 3.1 overall, 2.7 science, and two interviews coming up. Can I still join the club?

deecee said:
Let's see...
I've got a 2.9 undergrad, 3.5 post-bac, 3.1 overall, 2.7 science, and two interviews coming up. Can I still join the club?
welcome home trooper

rachmoninov3 said:
ok yposhelley and all other interested neuronerds:

epilepsy for the first 16 years of my life.
temporal lobectomy five days after my sixteenth birthday.
The worst part, when I was much younger, before I started having frequent partial complex seizures I was close to math genius, but between the seizures and the surgery the battery of neuropsych tests said I had 'deficits' in math and science and should not even attempt anything related to those two subjects.

and yes, Mozart, Rachmaninov, and Iron Maiden ROCK!!!!!!
Plasticity in action (after 16!), I presume? That's cool as heck! :horns:

Rachmaninov's Prelude in B minor, Op. 32 No. 10, should be your theme music

Rachmaninov, as you may now, suffered great depression after the disastrous premiere of his First Symphony. After taking the time to recover (and seeing a psychiatrist) he came back with one of the most loved piano concertos ever written--Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor (interestingly enough, it was dedicated to his psychiatrist). After many years of success, Rachmaninov wrote his 2nd set of preludes, Op. 32. The tenth prelude of the set, the Prelude in B minor, symbolizes "the return." This is discussed in the documentary The Art of Piano. An excellent excerpt of the piece is played by Benno Moiseiwitsch, but my personal favorite performance of the piece is performed by Sviatoslav Richter.

/piano nerdage :oops:

P.S. I'm not in the under 3.0 club, but I'm rootin' for all of you! :thumbup:

DieselPetrolGrl said:
welcome home trooper
Guess I'll get to learn the handshake now. :)