Under Grad school and Grad School

conn96

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am in the 10th grade and live in Louisiana. I would like to be an emergency room physician. Because of money, I will most likely go to school somewhere here in the state. Once I get my under grad, I know I need to go to medical school for 4 years. I do not want to live in LA my entire life, I want to get away. Is it hard to transfer to a med school in a different state?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I am in the 10th grade and live in Louisiana. I would like to be an emergency room physician. Because of money, I will most likely go to school somewhere here in the state. Once I get my under grad, I know I need to go to medical school for 4 years. I do not want to live in LA my entire life, I want to get away. Is it hard to transfer to a med school in a different state?

Most private med schools have no residency preference, so you can try those. Some public med schools take a significant portion of their students from out-of-state, such as UVa. These options will likely be more expensive than your state schools, however, so take that into account.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

Now would also be a good time to shadow an EM physician and see if you like it.

Thanks all. I have always wanted a job where I could actually help and make a difference in the world. Though it would be stressful, I do work well under pressure, and saving people's lives would be amazing to me. So, lets say I go to LSU. Once I finish my 4 yr degree, how complicated would it be just to move elsewhere and attend med school? What are my chances of being excepted out of state? Is it that hard to get in?

how complicated would it be just to move elsewhere and attend med school? What are my chances of being excepted out of state? Is it that hard to get in?

1. Depends on your stats

2. See 1.

3. See 2.

Edit: What's up El? How is/has college treating/treated (I forgot that it's summer) you so far?

Last edited:
Once I finish my 4 yr degree, how complicated would it be just to move elsewhere and attend med school? What are my chances of being excepted out of state? Is it that hard to get in?

1) Depends on whether you're going to a state-school located in a different state or a private school. Private's usually easier than state.

2) See 1

3) See the WAMC thread in the Pre-Allo form and MDApps profiles to get a better idea

Edit: What's up El? How is/has college treating/treated (I forgot that it's summer) you so far?

Pretty good. Got a 4.0 for Fresh year and have been sleeping in and watching TV all of this week. Just taking it easy until I start my stuff next week. This probably isn't the best place to have this convo though. PM?