Undergrad 3.3 cGPA; s3.7GPA; MCAT this summer, Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychgrad262

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

So I've been trolling for YEARS and finally plucked up the courage to post:). I graduated with a BS in Health Sciences from a small school in NY in 09. My cumulative GPA was a 3.3 at graduation, which is uncharacteristically low for me (I'll explain why!) and my science GPA was a 3.7. I didn't apply to medical school right away because quite honestly I was burnt out! The reason for my low GPA was that I failed 5 classes over 2 semesters (the rest of my grades are As (80%) and Bs (20%); NO Cs, NO Ds!!)

My parents supported me for the majority of my undergraduate education until sometime in 2008, when my family moved from Germany back to Africa (where Im originally from). My father was a diplomat for this African country in turmoil and him being recalled from Germany affected the family in a big way. As a result, money became very tight and I ended up having to get a fulltime job as a nanny to make ends meet. I pretty much lost my focus at that point and things went downhill. I had always worked since about sophomore year, but just for pocket money, not to support myself (and sometimes even send money home to my folks). Long story short, one semester I failed 3 out of 5 non science classes, and the following semester I failed Orgo 2 and Biochem:(. After this second semester, I took the semester off and worked to save money. I came back that fall and completed my degree (again with As and Bs) and graduated.

Of course after that outrageous experience, I had no appetite whatsoever to take the mcat and apply to medical school. So I decided to work and live life, and ended up doing a masters degree in psychology (I was in jeopardy of losing my F1 student visa if I didnt go back to school) which I'm currently finishing up with a 3.8 GPA. This is how my science classes from undergrad look:

Bio 1 - A
Bio 2 - A
Chem 1 - A
Chem 2 - A
Orgo 1 - B+
Orgo 2 - F:oops: retaking this summer
Phys 1 - A
Phys 2 - not taken - taking this summer maybe
I also took Ecology (B), Genetics (B+), Developmental Bio (A-)

I know I dont have an mcat score yet, but the rest of my app looks like this:
- research assistant at Columbia University,
- TA for 3 sections of Bio 1 lab at my undergrad,
- volunteered with American Cancer Society (helping to teach cancer awareness to African immigrants in the DMV for a summer)
- shadowed my uncle and other physicians at a hospital in England when I was 15.

I guess my worry is that ADCOMS will be turned off by my academic record. It's hard to explain, because I did so well for so long and then I had those 2 semesters from HELL! I am planning to retake Orgo 2 this summer but I dont know if I shoud retake biochem, since it's not a requirement for med school (and I cant really afford to take it). I am hoping to apply this summer for 2013. Is this too ambitious?? I will be taking an August mcat, which I hear is late:(.

On a happier note, my parents have since moved to the US permanently (my dad won the green card lottery in 2010...YAY!!) so things are a little better fnancially and emotionally for me.

I'm sorry my post is so ridiculously long. Hopefully you all can offer me some advice!

Members don't see this ad.