Undergrad classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrEaMeRcHiCk

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone...I'm having problems selecting my classes for next quarter. I'm a freshman at ucla.

Right now I was planning to take Chem, Math, and Life Science next quarter which would give me a total of 13 units. However, that means by the end of winter quarter I will only have 26 units done and ucla has this thing call ECP (Expected Cumulative Progess...etc) which says I have to have 27 units done by the end of winter quarter. So I don't know what to do. Here are my choices:

*Take a Fiat Lux which is only worth 1 unit and doesn't fulfill anything except for giving me that 1 unit to meet ECP

*Take on another class such as a GE but I think if i do this I'll overload myself and 10 weeks goes by too quickly.

*Ignore the 27 unit requirement and get put on probation. At this point I'd have to write a contract stating how I'd enough units by next year which is by taking summer school.

*Or what a counselor recommended, drop Life Science and take on a GE. But some people tell me that I shouldn't do that because you want to get the core science and math classes done. And if I wait to take Life Science later on that means taking it with Chem, LS, and Physics labs (blah) next year.

Has anyone every been in this situation? I mean I'm bound to make mistakes, but trying to limit them and take the right classes so I'm well on my way to pharm school. Thanks!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

your chem series is 14 or 20 series? I think you should take noth campus major (like music class i heard the whole class get A, hehe!) so it will be your gpa booster and solve the unit problem. i am from ucla too. what major are you in?? LS means 2 or 3 if 3 take 1st session. by the way, when you gonna apply?? in state or out of state?? good luck!

hey bruinbear, I'm a first year so i got 3 years to go. I'm in ls2 and chem 14b for next quarter. Well I would take a north campus class but I don't know which ones don't require a lot of work. Because with three core science/math I think I'll be pretty busy. Do you know any exact ones you can recommend that are still open. I didn't realize how hectic enrollment gets.

Someone told me to stick in my three classes and get either a fiat lux or SRP....but I don't know which ones are where. Being a clueless first year is hard... :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Dreamerchick,
I'm taking LS2 next quarter too! (the 10am one i think) :) Are you taking LS1 this quarter? Anyways, i recommend taking the Fiat lux. It's a p/np class so it shouldn't be a problem with coursework overload. GL on those finals!

ConfusedOne said:
Hey Dreamerchick,
I'm taking LS2 next quarter too! (the 10am one i think) :) Are you taking LS1 this quarter? Anyways, i recommend taking the Fiat lux. It's a p/np class so it shouldn't be a problem with coursework overload. GL on those finals!

Oh now I'm taking math 3b, chem 14a and eng comp 3 this quarter. I'm skipping to ls2 then going back to ls1 because next quarter ls1 and math 3c have back to back finals. Yeah I might just do a Fiat Lux. Know any easy ones that just require you to show up? I'm in the 9am lecture for ls2 because ls1 filled up before my second pass. I barely even got ls2!!!! Althought the lecture conflicts with my chem discussion. So I have to get that fixed. What year are you? I'm a first year. Good luck on your finals too!

DrEaMeRcHiCk said:
Oh now I'm taking math 3b, chem 14a and eng comp 3 this quarter. I'm skipping to ls2 then going back to ls1 because next quarter ls1 and math 3c have back to back finals. Yeah I might just do a Fiat Lux. Know any easy ones that just require you to show up? I'm in the 9am lecture for ls2 because ls1 filled up before my second pass. I barely even got ls2!!!! Althought the lecture conflicts with my chem discussion. So I have to get that fixed. What year are you? I'm a first year. Good luck on your finals too!

take ethno 120a or 120b with prof gerald wilson...gpa booster. dont have to go to class. very easy tests.

iamhungry said:
take ethno 120a or 120b with prof gerald wilson...gpa booster. dont have to go to class. very easy tests.

Thanks for the advice...but I don't know what to do...all my counselors tell me to drop ls2 and take a GE, so my work load isn't as much since I'm a first year. How was your first year experience? Is it better to start taking on a larger work load? Or take it easy the first year?

I'm a 2nd year biochem major. Did you take AP bio in high school? If you did, LS2 should be no problem because the material should be familiar.

nope no AP bio so I'm at a disadvantage. My school never expressed the importance of AP courses, as a matter of fact after I graduated they took out all the AP sciences out of the curriculum. Sad huh?

Guess I should just take the ge(history 1b or history of china?) and drop ls2... :(

No worries :) . If you just put in the effort then you'll do well. I don't remember anything from bio in high school anyways :p . Have you tried the covel tutorials? They have tutors for all the science related classes (chem, math, life science, physics). I used them for my vector calc and organic chem courses. They help a lot, and they're free!

Yeah I have one for math...covel is great. But do you think it'll be too much of a work load to have math3c, chem 14b, and ls2 next quarter...all the counselors are telling me to drop ls2 and take a ge because I'm a first year...i don't know what to do because I don't know how heavy the courseload is.

DrEaMeRcHiCk said:
Yeah I have one for math...covel is great. But do you think it'll be too much of a work load to have math3c, chem 14b, and ls2 next quarter...all the counselors are telling me to drop ls2 and take a ge because I'm a first year...i don't know what to do because I don't know how heavy the courseload is.

math 3c was CAKE. ls2 was really tough for me. i had roverud and baldwin. they were HARD. i don't think i know anyone that got a solid A in ls2.

take the harder class now because once spring comes around, you won't want to do any work. spring is by far the hardest time to stay motivated and focus on school. ls2 is really interesting (in my opinion) but a lot of stuff to memorize. it's all physiology if you've had anything similar to it before. when i took it (man, it was awhile back) i think we had 3 professors who taught it and it was pretty difficult. eng 3 shouldn't be too bad (depending on who you get) and math 3C is fairly easy.

Thanks everyone for your help! Man I'm so scared of my finals next week. We just learned about buffers and titrations and I'm seriously so lost... :( As for my schedule I decided to take chem 14b, math 3c, and history, I might add another ge course too or do research. Everyone was advising me to not take ls2 so I decided not to since I really want to do well in organic chem and I heard my math 3c prof is somehwat difficult. It sucks, it's my first quarter here, I'm working my butt off, but it's not at the level I want...if anyone has anymore advice I appreciate it!

Thanks!

DrEaMeRcHiCk said:
Thanks everyone for your help! Man I'm so scared of my finals next week. We just learned about buffers and titrations and I'm seriously so lost... :( As for my schedule I decided to take chem 14b, math 3c, and history, I might add another ge course too or do research. Everyone was advising me to not take ls2 so I decided not to since I really want to do well in organic chem and I heard my math 3c prof is somehwat difficult. It sucks, it's my first quarter here, I'm working my butt off, but it's not at the level I want...if anyone has anymore advice I appreciate it!

Thanks!

history is a lot of reading!! which one are you taking? make sure you go to www.uclaprofessors.com to check the rating of the professor. can you take chem14b chem 14bl and ls 2? or is that not enough units? i remember my winter quarter first year i took math 3b chem 14b/bl and eng3.

I'm taking History of China, I know its a lot of reading, but hopefully its decent since my roomate wants me to take it with her. I wanted to take the history course which is exactly like high school US history, but its not offered this quarter. I'm also signed up for History 1b with Mcclendon and planning to drop it but from her reviews she seems easy, but the class topic (western civilization) doesn't seem interesting to me. I can't sign up for chem 14bl anymore since its full. I guess I'll just stuck with what I have. The only thing is I was figuring out my schedule, and I was planning to take chem c/cl over summer and finish in 14d during fall but at that time i'll also be taking ls3 and physics AND Chinese since they start the Chinese series fall quarter. I'm wondering if I should push back physics until winter quarter and either finish it summer or fall of my junior year. From what my friends tell me, chinese is a lot of work. I don't know what to do really, my schedule isn't going as well as I'd hope.

y dont u take psych 10 with zaidel? i took it with her and she has no MT or final. just 1 quiz a week for a total of 8 weeks. it isnt a GE but doesnt it take care of a pharm req?

Bruinized said:
y dont u take psych 10 with zaidel? i took it with her and she has no MT or final. just 1 quiz a week for a total of 8 weeks. it isnt a GE but doesnt it take care of a pharm req?

I took psych and econ 1 at a community college this past summer...Yeah I know, while others were spending their last summer without school I decided to take those two courses over a duration of 5 weeks. I just want to go into pharmacy so badly. Why must it be so competitive? I may have the drive, the extra-curricular, but what if I don't have the grades? *sigh* so stressed...

DrEaMeRcHiCk said:
I just want to go into pharmacy so bad. Why must it be so competitive? I may have the drive, the extra-curricular, but what if I don't have the grades? *sigh* so stressed...

I'm right there with you. :(