Undergrad Course load

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr_Lector

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question regarding how many credit hours I should be taking. I currently work full time due to the need to support a family. I am planning on taking 12 credit hours this fall and have done so the past couple of semesters while working full time. I have seen that admissions committees like to see that people can handle bigger course loads (15-18 credit hours) each semester. I'm not sure I can do that many and keep my grades up while working. Anyone have any advice? Is 12 ok or do I really need to do 15+?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question regarding how many credit hours I should be taking. I currently work full time due to the need to support a family. I am planning on taking 12 credit hours this fall and have done so the past couple of semesters while working full time. I have seen that admissions committees like to see that people can handle bigger course loads (15-18 credit hours) each semester. I'm not sure I can do that many and keep my grades up while working. Anyone have any advice? Is 12 ok or do I really need to do 15+?

12 is fine. Quality over quantity. High school different from undergrad, undergrad different from grad school, grad school different from residency.

Take 12 and focus on getting As and Bs. If you're working at the same time, adcom sees that. They're human and they've been in your shoes.

No point taking more than 12 and risking Cs. Does more harm than the potential payoff for adcoms to see.

Reactions: 1 users
If I could start undergrad all over afresh, I would NEVER go higher than 15. I'll always stay 12-15; even if it meant graduating a semster or entire year late.

12 credits is considered full-time by your school, and for financial aid purposes. And in your case you have to factor in the fact that you're also working a full time job. 12 credits is fine, Dr. Lector.

I bought into the whole can't take less than 15 credits or adcoms won't be happy with you. I allowed that to influence me and registered for 18 credits. In the end, I screwed myself up big tine. 12 credits of good grades is way more impressive than 18+ credits of Cs, Ds, B-.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your responses. I'll continue with what I have been doing.

I would take 12 just to make sure you do great at the hours you're taking I made the mistake of taking 16 hours with 3 science classes and labs biggest mistake of mylife!

If you take 12 hours and receive financial aid try not to drop a class or else you might lose any scholarships. Had to keep a D on my transcript because of this when I was a freshman. Dropped my science GPA quite a bit....