Undergrad in need of advice/help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ksedi001

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, just found this website and I have digested a lot of good information from all these threads. However, I need some more personal advice on what I need to do.

I currently attend UCR, University of California Riverside, as a Biology major. My overall GPA is a 3.197 with a science GPA 3.2. I just finished my sophomore year and now finishing up my last quarter of ochem this summer. Right now I have 2 A's and 1 B in General Chem and about to have solid 3 A's in the organic series. However, my problem lies in general bio which for some reason I cannot grasp like I do in ochem. I have a B- and 2 C+'s, the sad part is I studied hard =\, in the general bio which really worries me and is killing my GPA. Starting Fall, I will be starting my upper division biology courses and forever done with chemistry ):.

I am thinking of changing to a chemistry major due to the fact that I excel in chemistry and I do enjoy going to lecture and learning anything chemistry related, I WOULD MUCH RATHER LEARN CHEMISTRY THAN BIOLOGY IN A HEARTBEAT. However, some of the hardest courses are in the upper div chem courses, i.e inorganic, physical, and thermodynamics. Would this be a smart decision?

The fact the my GPA is so low due to my poor biology grades has me really nervous about my future. Should I need not to worry as I still have two whole years left and just finish strong, which is very doable?

And lastly, any suggestions of what I should do EC wise? I have not a clue of what I should do as I sadly have never done any sort of EC things before besides the fact that I go to the gym everyday, as bodybuilding is one of my hobbies, which doesn't count.

Members don't see this ad.

I would try to evaluate the way you study and try ways to improve on it. If you search up old threads about studying you'll find a lot of tips there.

You're going to have biology classes again in pharmacy school. If you look at UCSD's pharmacy curriculum(http://pharmacy.ucsd.edu/prospective/curriculum.shtml) they take: Gross Anatomy, Cell Biology, Physiology, Neurology, Microbiology, etc. Each pharmacy school will have a different curriculum, but they all will have biology classes.

Sounds like the hardest upper division classes in chemistry would be easier for you than the hardest upper division classes in biology. If that seems like a fair assessment of your potential (seems to be the case...) then a switch to chemistry sounds like a great idea to me.

Good ECs would be becoming the leader of a club (a body building club would be OK...) or volunteering in your community (does NOT have to be a pharmacy or health related).

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the point in taking classes if you are not learning or enjoying the course? If you find chemistry more exciting than biology, then I highly recommend that you switch. Classes will get harder once you advance in school.

If you stay in Biology, then you will have two more years of torture.

Also, if you switch, would it hold you back from graduation? Keep that in mind as well.

I don't see why you would not make the switch if chemistry is your strength. At this point, you should be fine since you will be starting your junior year and haven't taken any upper division courses in chem yet. Plus you can always throw in a bio course or two each semester to finish off any bio pre reqs.

If you enjoy chemistry more and are better at it, then definitely change majors. If you are interested then almost certainly you will do better, raise your gpa, and have a better shot at reaching your goals. Plus, if pharmacy does not happen to work out for whatever reason, you will have a degree in a field you might like to work in.

IMO, there is nothing inherently better about declaring a biology major than chemistry or any of a number of other majors. As long as you complete the pre-reqs you are fine.

If you enjoy chemistry more and are better at it, then definitely change majors. If you are interested then almost certainly you will do better, raise your gpa, and have a better shot at reaching your goals. Plus, if pharmacy does not happen to work out for whatever reason, you will have a degree in a field you might like to work in.

IMO, there is nothing inherently better about declaring a biology major than chemistry or any of a number of other majors. As long as you complete the pre-reqs you are fine.

I agree. Do what you like...don't get suckered into thinking bio major is better than chem or any other major. People are so misinformed sometimes.

::sighs::