Undergrad senior...panic mode setting in as reading discouraging blogs about becoming a doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lahaiesi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been reading multiple websites/blogs that have really been discouraging and full of complaints about the medical field. I've always envisioned myself as a doctor, and can't think of another profession I have any interest in pursuing. But with that being said, I'm starting to worry I'm making the wrong choice with so many doctors bashing the profession and discouraging anyone considering the job. All I see is how medical students waste their prime years and lose all their relationships (I'm currently in a 2 year relationship with a recently graduated engineer). I want to travel, get married, have kids, have fun, but many medical students and residents seem to say this is all impossible. Can someone please give me a more optimistic view? The pessimism is wearing me down! Does any doctor out there actually love their profession and want to encourage others to pursue it??

Members don't see this ad.

There's a group of complainers in every profession.

Reactions: 2 users
A job CANNOT define the outlook of your life, unless you allow it to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that negative people are often more vocal than positive people are. Many people of many professions hate their jobs.

Though of course medical school takes immense time and dedication and detracts you from other things, as I'll find out next fall (can't speak from firsthand experience just yet). But regardless, I think many of the folks who have already started medical school as well as the residents and attendings on this forum will tell you that despite the sacrifices, it is not as bad as pessimists make it out to be so long as you are passionate about it.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it! I guess pessimistic people are more likely to go on an internet rant than ones who are truly happy! I just need to consider that when I go on binge reading and start to panic!

Read some encouraging blogs then.

I want to travel, get married, have kids, have fun, but many medical students and residents seem to say this is all impossible.

Becoming a physician may not be the best career path for you if you want to do these things, at least early on. Have you considered other jobs in the medical field?

You will have to make sacrifices in these areas to be a physician.

Becoming a physician may not be the best career path for you if you want to do these things, at least early on. Have you considered other jobs in the medical field?

You will have to make sacrifices in these areas to be a physician.

Disagree. Travel you can do international research during M1 summer, international clinical rotations, take vacations during M1 Winter Break, etc.

Have kids, as many before me have said, for a working professional there is never a "right" time to have kids, but med. school will not deter you. M1 Summer, anytime during 4th year, etc.

Have fun, each indivdiual person defines what is fun to them. If having fun means getting drunk 6 nights a week and not doing anything all day, then yes medicine might be a tough choice. But there are so many things you can do for fun during medical school, and from what I have heard from many medical schools is that 3rd year is really the only time when your free time pretty much evaporates until residency.

Reactions: 1 user
Disagree. Travel you can do international research during M1 summer, international clinical rotations, take vacations during M1 Winter Break, etc.

Have kids, as many before me have said, for a working professional there is never a "right" time to have kids, but med. school will not deter you. M1 Summer, anytime during 4th year, etc.

Have fun, each indivdiual person defines what is fun to them. If having fun means getting drunk 6 nights a week and not doing anything all day, then yes medicine might be a tough choice. But there are so many things you can do for fun during medical school, and from what I have heard from many medical schools is that 3rd year is really the only time when your free time pretty much evaporates until residency.
Thank you for this. Getting drunk is definitely not my cup of tea so that won't be an issue! I just don't want to ruin friendships/relationships or risk losing the chance to see the world because I'm being held back from my career. Trust me, I can't imagine doing anything else, but I just don't want to regret not having fun experiences that my peers may have.

Thank you for this. Getting drunk is definitely not my cup of tea so that won't be an issue! I just don't want to ruin friendships/relationships or risk losing the chance to see the world because I'm being held back from my career. Trust me, I can't imagine doing anything else, but I just don't want to regret not having fun experiences that my peers may have.

The way I think about it is this: during your undergraduate years you were most likely extremely busy with pre-medical activities, and your relationships were no doubt stressed as a result. While medical school will be challenging, if you truly care about these relationships then you and the other person(s) will put in the time and effort to maintaining these bonds. If you/they don't, then they were meant to fail anyway.

In terms of seeing the world, I am not sure where you are in your progression, but if you haven't started applying there is plenty of time to see it before you get to medical school. Take a year off, teach English in Asia, travel, do what you want to do and don't go into medical school with regrets because by that time there will be no going back.

EDIT: In addition, while reimbursement rates are not what they once were for physicians, one of the perks of our future careers is that you will most likely be earning an above-average salary with low risk of unemployment for your entire working career, and will as a result have the opportunity to travel, though for less time, if you so desire.

Reactions: 1 user