Undergrad Sophomore 3.0

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OliviaRae

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm at the University of Michigan, just finished my sophomore year with a cumulative GPA of about 3.0. I've always wanted to go to medical school (preferably osteopathic) but with such a low GPA even after sophomore year...but I'm afraid of what my chances may be even after I finished my junior and senior year. I've had an upwards trend and I plan on working harder than ever to get straight A's for the next two years. I plan on taking a gap year after undergrad before med school so I don't have to pile up too many science courses one on top of the other (so I will take the mcat and apply end of senior year instead of junior year). I'm really kind of freaking out since I just got my grades and ended up with a C+ in organic chemistry. The other courses were B's and A's (BioPsych, Orgo Lab, and undergrad research).

I guess another thing that has been at the back of my mind is a back up plan. I was thinking I would do a master's program and then reapply to medical school if I don't get in the first time I apply. But what master's program is going to accept someone with a 3.0 GPA (assuming somehow I did not manage to bring it up)?

Another backup I had in mind was grad school. I'm a Brain Behavior and Cognitive Science (BBCS) major and I'd be interested in clinical research and cognitive psychology. The thing is, based on research labs I've been in,...research can be boring. Maybe because I've had the experience of being a research assistant versus actually conducting my own research? But anyways same questions as above, what grad school would accept someone with a 3.0 GPA?

I'm only a sophomore now. I can bring up my grades, I've had a positive trend but I am afraid of the worst that will happen. I have heard some people go overseas to accredited schools in the Caribbean ...but I've also heard a lot of mixed reviews on that. The worst is that it's much much harder to get good residencies if you get your MD from the Caribbean...

So for right now my plan is to really work my butt off these next two semesters, get straight A's and bring up my GPA before applying to medical school.

So I guess what I'm asking...is this do-able? Anyone in a similar situation or has been in a similar situation and was able to get into med school?

Members don't see this ad.

I still think you have a chance. If you can do well enough in your junior year to bring your cumulative and science GPA up to 3.2+ and get a decent MCAT score 27+ you have a great chance. UMich is known to be a tough GPA-deflating school. Adcoms for med school know this. UMich has one of the highest rates of successful med school applicants. Focus on getting a 3.5+ in your junior year and you won't need to do a grad program.

You've got plenty of time, just relax and do well in your upper level coursework. Once you have a better idea of where you stand as far as GPA and MCAT then you can evaluate your options. No need to think of the Caribbean or post-bacc stuff now.

Members don't see this ad :)
You've got plenty of time, just relax and do well in your upper level coursework. Once you have a better idea of where you stand as far as GPA and MCAT then you can evaluate your options. No need to think of the Caribbean or post-bacc stuff now.
+1. Don't be too hard on yourself at this point, identify your problems and move forward. You have some time to get your GPA up, especially in terms of the AACOMAS (allows for grade replacement). Oh btw, definitely do not go Caribbean at this point until we get some issues sorted out on a national level (risk>benefit imho).

+1. Don't be too hard on yourself at this point, identify your problems and move forward. You have some time to get your GPA up, especially in terms of the AACOMAS (allows for grade replacement). Oh btw, definitely do not go Caribbean at this point until we get some issues sorted out on a national level (risk>benefit imho).
+1 if you are thinking that the caribbean is an option then you still have a good deal to learn about the whole medical education process.

+1 if you are thinking that the caribbean is an option then you still have a good deal to learn about the whole medical education process.
Although I must admit St. George's makes an impressive attempt to get more applicants there. Unfortunately our health care system is not fostering the IMGs as much, but we'll see what happens in the next few years.

Although I must admit St. George's makes an impressive attempt to get more applicants there. Unfortunately our health care system is not fostering the IMGs as much, but we'll see what happens in the next few years.
119213_1_f.jpg

That is why is is impressive. Given the right marketing and effort one could even sell a rock as a pet... alas, that has happened.

That is why is is impressive. Given the right marketing and effort one could even sell a rock as a pet... alas, that has happened.
LOL yeah very true :laugh: I still remember the craze of the Chia pets and rock pets...