Undergrad student, need opinions on how I should go about applying for MD/DO school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cali4life760

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
This is virtually my first post, I just signed up today. I wanted to get a few opinions on allopathic and osteopathic medical schools and the way in which I should plan out my next year or two. I've got one more quarter at CSU East Bay before I officially graduate with a Kinesiology degree in Pre-Physical Therapy with a minor in Biological Sciences. I know I should've just entered school as a pre-medical student, but things have changed quite a bit since I began undergraduate studies (as with most people). Now, I have not taken the MCAT yet, so inevitably I've got both a lot of studying ahead of me and extra classes I should probably take. This, as well as my grades, is why I wanted to seek some advice as to what I should do. Here is some of my academic background:

Community College (COD): graduated with A.A. in math and science GPA~3.1
CSUEB cGPA to date: 3.46 (not including this quarter, which is looking pretty solid)
CSUEB sGPA to date: 3.32 (wasn't completely sure what to factor into this section aside from the obvious)
My cumulative including CC is only like a 3.31; so it'll be difficult to really bring that up.

My ECs are basically under construction at this point, I know I still have a lot to do, especially in my desired field:

50 hrs shadowing PT (affiliated with school)
25 hrs volunteering with PT
Recently joined and have been attending graduate level Biology program based around developing theses (for master's students) and conference caliber projects.
~15 hrs (just started) Cancer cell research with Biology dep. on campus

I still need to get professional field experience both in a hospital and with a doctor. I've luckily lined up a couple things following this last quarter that I have (Fall quarter).

So, my main questions here are, in your opinion: How are things looking so far (I'm just curious, I know the MCAT holds a lot of weight, but I'm referring to my GPA for now)? Do I stand a chance, especially with the college I will be graduating from? Should I look into SMP or post bacc programs given the grades I have provided thus far? Do medical schools look at upward trends (I ask because last quarter and this quarter will be ~3.7+)? Other then O chem, what sort of upper div. classes should I take?

Sorry if this is a broad thread and may encompass other topics aside from medical school chances, I just wanted to get information out there and get feedback sooner than later as to some of the questions above and the aforementioned route, or plan of attack, I should consider for the next year or two. Any advice/opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The only one I didn't calculate was the CC GPA. All the other info is accurate and the sGPA for my undergrad was calculated including inorganic chem series, Biology classes (Genetics I and II, Anatomy and Phys I and II, Molecular and cell, Animal Bio) and Physics series. I will be taking micro and plant bio this fall and plan on taking O chem and a couple other classes like Biochem and Immunology after graduating in preparation for the MCAT and to boost the GPA a little more hopefully.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only one I didn't calculate was the CC GPA. All the other info is accurate and the sGPA for my undergrad was calculated including inorganic chem series, Biology classes (Genetics I and II, Anatomy and Phys I and II, Molecular and cell, Animal Bio) and Physics series. I will be taking micro and plant bio this fall and plan on taking O chem and a couple other classes like Biochem and Immunology after graduating in preparation for the MCAT and to boost the GPA a little more hopefully.
All of your undergrad grades need to be included in your gpa (including CC grades).

Oh ok. With CC added, my cGPA is a 3.31 and my sGPA is a 3.20

What about DO schools? I'd probably pick DO over MD

And what are your suggestions on SMP or post bacc programs?

What about DO schools? I'd probably pick DO over MD

And what are your suggestions on SMP or post bacc programs?
If you get an MCAT 27+ you would not need an SMP or post bac to have a good chance at interviews. With all your math, you need to calculate your AACOMAS gpa to have a better idea.