Undergrad studying + X hours = Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

X = ?

• 5 hours

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • 10 hours

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • 20 hours

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • 30 hours

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • 40 hours

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • 50+ hours

Votes: 15 48.4%

• Total voters

Yadster101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As finals are in full swing, I think it's a good idea to have another one of these threads.

The scenario: A med student told an undergrad that med school = Undergrad + 24 hours. Meaning that if you studied 30 hr/wk in undergrad then med school studying is 54 hours. Now I think the equation "Undergrad + X hours = med school" is valuable but I don't know if 24 hours is the right number. The reason I thought the equation is clever is because although, "Undergrad" is going to have a huge range for different students with most students (probably) falling between 25-55 hr/wk, the value X is probably similar for the typical med student that wants to do well but still maintain time for sleeping, eating, occasional socializing. Also the equation intentionally leaves out ECs which simplifies everything and gives an actual way to compare med school to undergrad.

So if yall would kindly respond to the poll I think we can solve this problem within 5 hours. If this gets published then I get first author. Also please only respond if you are a "typical" med student that I described above. So if you got to med school and realized you dont care and never studied then dont respond. A way to check if you got the correct value for X is to think "if there were X many more hours in a week then the intensity of med school studying would equal the intensity of undergrad studying".

Members don't see this ad.

So you only want people who are going to answer a certain way to respond? Seems legit.

Reactions: 1 user
3K7FQUu.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
As finals are in full swing, I think it's a good idea to have another one of these threads.

The scenario: A med student told an undergrad that med school = Undergrad + 24 hours. Meaning that if you studied 30 hr/wk in undergrad then med school studying is 54 hours. Now I think the equation "Undergrad + X hours = med school" is valuable but I don't know if 24 hours is the right number. The reason I thought the equation is clever is because although, "Undergrad" is going to have a huge range for different students with most students (probably) falling between 25-55 hr/wk, the value X is probably similar for the typical med student that wants to do well but still maintain time for sleeping, eating, occasional socializing. Also the equation intentionally leaves out ECs which simplifies everything and gives an actual way to compare med school to undergrad.

So if yall would kindly respond to the poll I think we can solve this problem within 5 hours. If this gets published then I get first author. Also please only respond if you are a "typical" med student that I described above. So if you got to med school and realized you dont care and never studied then dont respond. A way to check if you got the correct value for X is to think "if there were X many more hours in a week then the intensity of med school studying would equal the intensity of undergrad studying".
:rolleyes:

Reactions: 3 users

It kinda depends. I didn't study very much in undergrad, or even all that much in my post-bacc. So, for me med school has been something like undergrad + 40 hours, maybe. Some people worked their ass off in undergrad, either because they had their **** together in terms of study habits already, or their course of study demanded it of them, so the transition to med school may not have been as traumatic.

no offense but i think your data is useless

It kinda depends. I didn't study very much in undergrad, or even all that much in my post-bacc. So, for me med school has been something like undergrad + 40 hours, maybe. Some people worked their ass off in undergrad, either because they had their **** together in terms of study habits already, or their course of study demanded it of them, so the transition to med school may not have been as traumatic.

Actually I would think that the people that studied least in undergrad and still pulled off decent grades (3.6+) probably had the least traumatic transition. If you studied 2 hr/day in undergrad then you can simply add more hours of studying to your day. If you studied all day in undergrad then you cannot simply just add hours. You must increase efficiency... which much is harder.

Grades = Hours Studying + Efficiency + Intelligence

If (ugStudying <=20){
ugStudying = ugStudying + 30;
} else if (ugStudying >=20){
ugEfficiency = ugEfficiency + 30;

I haven't written java in years..but I still got it
tumblr_m99y3vspMO1rq3b5ko1_500.png

Whoever gave you that formula is an idiot. The real formula is:

Attachments

• 1418701441791.jpg
    1418701441791.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 77
For anyone that's curious, if you substitute for your gpa and mcat you can also get a pretty good estimate of your future step one score and penis size.

Sorry team but your captain is jumping ship. I just created a new thread, another gem, on the DO forum. Off to bigger and better things.
EDIT: Please feel free to use this meme in the dental forum or the doctor vs dentist threads that will inevitably come up.
anti-dentite_o_2485319.jpg

57185685.jpg

Its not bad. In undergrad I was doing all of that crap you have to do in undergrad. In medical school you only have to study; at least in first year. I study 8 hours a class outside of class. That still gives me 7+ hours to do whatever I want non school related. I skip all of my classes in medical school. In undergrad, classes were more or less mandatory and honestly a lot harder (I am not trying to determine the volume of some abstract object lol). Medical school gives you all of your resources plus I think your school makes it easier too. I know my school gives us practice finals that are literally the same thing as the real one etc.

The answer is different depending on how you choose to incorporate both time and space.

Actually I would think that the people that studied least in undergrad and still pulled off decent grades (3.6+) probably had the least traumatic transition. If you studied 2 hr/day in undergrad then you can simply add more hours of studying to your day. If you studied all day in undergrad then you cannot simply just add hours. You must increase efficiency... which much is harder.

Grades = Hours Studying + Efficiency + Intelligence

If (ugStudying <=20){
ugStudying = ugStudying + 30;
} else if (ugStudying >=20){
ugEfficiency = ugEfficiency + 30;

I haven't written java in years..but I still got it
tumblr_m99y3vspMO1rq3b5ko1_500.png
no comment brah? gotta explain what you're coding for the plebs