Undergraduate Coursework

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

undertoad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

Background: Second degree student (first degree was in literature) pursuing a B.S. in Psychology in preparation for admission to clinical doctoral program.

I recently went over my expected coursework with my advisor, and she thought it looked good, but that it might be too heavy on specialized courses (testing and advanced stats) and light on general survey classes. I thought that seemed odd, but it occurred to me later that my intro classes, which I took at a different school while in the military, don’t show up on my transcript.

What do you guys think? Will the coursework make me competitive for grad school admissions? I’ve already done the whole college thing once (with a 3.85 GPA), so I’m mainly trying to bulk up my research and stats background, which is where I lack experience.

COMPLETED (community college)
Intro to Psych I
Intro to Psych I
Developmental Psych
Abnormal Psych
Social Psych
Child Growth and Development

(IN PROGRESS)
Physiological Psych
Abnormal Child Psych

(ANTICIPATED)
Quantitative Methods
Research Methods
Supervised Research
Honors I
Honors II
Psychological Testing
Advanced Stats
Psychopathology (graduate level)
Theories of Personality
Drugs and Behavior

Members don't see this ad.

Have you taken General Statistics? The basic introduction class that should be during your community college years. Everything looks great though. From what I researched are "appropriate" and sometimes required courses for doctoral programs, you seem on track.

I agree with what Aestheticism said but I would also like to add that you should find one or more psychology professor "mentors" that you have classes with and get to know them and their research. You'd then be able to possibly work with them in their research labs or get a few letters of recommendation for graduate school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, also took intro to stats while on active duty. Making connections in the department has also been useful.

Making connections in your department is one of the most important things you could do as a undergrad other than getting research experience and getting a solid gpa.