Undergraduate Degree required for Ross or SGU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovemrpibbs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am a 4th year Computer Engineer major. My cum GPA is 3.45. I took the MCAT last August and got a 20 (without any studying or any class). The breakdown was Phys: 9, Bio: 6, Ver: 5, and my essays, R. I am currently enrolled in an MCAT prep course right now, but my school has threatened to charge non resident fees (which would increase tuition by $10K for me) because I am taking so long too graduate (since I have to take care of pre-med req's and MCAT business in addition to Engineering). I cannot by any means afford such an increase in tuition. I am wondering if Carribean schools require an undergraduate degree. I am considering just dropping out of college and getting a refund from The Princeton Review before its too late, and applying to SGU or Ross. I am just worried about 2 things:
1. My current MCAT score of 20 will prevent me from acceptance into Ross or SGU.
2. I will have trouble getting back into the US.
If anyone could share any words of wisdom, I would sincerely appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

ilovemrpibbs said:
Hi all,
I am a 4th year Computer Engineer major. My cum GPA is 3.45. I took the MCAT last August and got a 20 (without any studying or any class). The breakdown was Phys: 9, Bio: 6, Ver: 5, and my essays, R. I am currently enrolled in an MCAT prep course right now, but my school has threatened to charge non resident fees (which would increase tuition by $10K for me) because I am taking so long too graduate (since I have to take care of pre-med req's and MCAT business in addition to Engineering). I cannot by any means afford such an increase in tuition. I am wondering if Carribean schools require an undergraduate degree. I am considering just dropping out of college and getting a refund from The Princeton Review before its too late, and applying to SGU or Ross. I am just worried about 2 things:
1. My current MCAT score of 20 will prevent me from acceptance into Ross or SGU.
2. I will have trouble getting back into the US.
If anyone could share any words of wisdom, I would sincerely appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

SGU and Ross both require an undergraduate degree and MCAT scores. Saba and St. Matthews (both good schools) will take you without a degree and without MCAT scores.

I suggest applying to Saba (www.saba.edu) and heading to Value MD (http://www.valuemd.com/index.php?si...cd&PHPSESSID=218bd7d6c46b7b04934f24b677586a97) for more information.

Well personally I woulnd't apply to Ross I've heard bad things about them... other than that... is it possible for your school to charge you out of state tuition? I mean if you are a state resident then they must charge you state tuition right? I don't see how they can legally force you to pay out of staqte tuition if you live in that state. Now on the other hand if they are sharging you in state tuition and your from a different state thats another story. I don't see why the school would get rilled up anyway you say your in your 4th year well nowadays it is common for students to finish in five years I think I smell something fishy with your schools admin. Go talk to your university ombudsmen they may be able to help you with the tuition thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
JohnB79 said:
Well personally I woulnd't apply to Ross I've heard bad things about them... other than that...

That was quite a slight, John. I've heard bad things about each and every non-US school, so it'd be nice if you could qualify your statement (Ross is generally considered one of the top two Carib schools in the forums).

ilovemrpibbs, I recommend staying the course with Princeton Review -- it's a really good investment, and either you'll need to retake the MCAT or you'll need to know a fair amount of what's 'taught' in the course if you don't.

-pitman

I started Ross with no MCATS and no Degree. Not one PD has asked me about school prior to ROSS during my residency interviews. I have recieved 30 invitations for residency positions so far. Had to start cancelling interviews. Did well at Ross and USMLE exams.

JohnB79 said:
Well personally I woulnd't apply to Ross I've heard bad things about them...

Are you a residency program director? No? Well, then I guess it really doesn't matter what you would do or what you may have heard now, does it?

:)

-Skip

Skip Intro said:
Are you a residency program director? No? Well, then I guess it really doesn't matter what you would do or what you may have heard now, does it?

:)

-Skip
I am not either one however I am only giving my humble opinion from reading here and what I see over at ValueMD if you like it then thats all that matters I'm just trying to convey some information to someone who asked... if you have evidence to refute my observations then by all means present it and if it is valid I will stand corrected and apologize for my mistakes.

JohnB79 said:
I am not either one however I am only giving my humble opinion from reading here and what I see over at ValueMD if you like it then thats all that matters I'm just trying to convey some information to someone who asked... if you have evidence to refute my observations then by all means present it and if it is valid I will stand corrected and apologize for my mistakes.

I just think it's pretty silly that you would ask us to present evidence to refute your observations when all you said was, "...I've heard bad things about them." So I guess my "evidence" would have to be that Ross is generally known to be one of the top two Caribbean medical schools.

JohnB79 said:
Well personally I woulnd't apply to Ross I've heard bad things about them... other than that... is it possible for your school to charge you out of state tuition? I mean if you are a state resident then they must charge you state tuition right? I don't see how they can legally force you to pay out of staqte tuition if you live in that state. Now on the other hand if they are sharging you in state tuition and your from a different state thats another story. I don't see why the school would get rilled up anyway you say your in your 4th year well nowadays it is common for students to finish in five years I think I smell something fishy with your schools admin. Go talk to your university ombudsmen they may be able to help you with the tuition thing.
Oh and in response to pitman, I've read alot of posts over on www.valuemd.com from Ross students and also SGU and AUC and by large more posts in the Ross forum complain about things than than either SGU and AUC.

I can't remember everything off the top of my head but the biggest thing that gets me is that if you fail even a single class at Ross you must repeat every single class that you took that semester, so that your basically paying an extra semesters worth of tuition for a class you failed and then you have to spend your time studying for all the rest of the classes you passed also. Seems to me that Devry (which owns Ross, in addition to all those schools here in the US that'll give you your assoicates in everything from refridgeration to business) just wants the extra money from your pocket. This is the major thing that turned me away from Ross and I was seriously considering applying there last year when I sat and talked to an admissions counsler who came to my school last year, heck the guy even gave me a nice pen for sticking around and asking more questions than time allowed for. So thats just one of the reasons I changed my mind about ross. as of now I'm granted a seat for AUC starting in the fall... and I have an interview for SGU in a few weeks and still waiting for my US Allo apps to come back so I might not even go to the carib, but thats where my plans lie for now.

Its your decision, and its very hard to get a true comparsion of all three top schools by asking their respective students because the student would have had to have gone to each school and thats just a waste of money and time if you ask me. Your best bet if you want to get an idea of the schools is go to www.valuemd.com and look around at their different forums and read old threads and ask questions of your own. Also you probably can get pictures of the islands if you ask nice enough to current students. Good luck in your endevors.

Thanks for the qualification, John :)

I am a senior at NYIT, and here's why I have a personal problem with Ross.

NYIT is roughly as competetive as other state schools in NY and NJ, and maybe other states as well. (I don't know)

Nonetheless, I have had people in my pre-med science classes that I really don't believe have any right to be in medical school. They never seemed to put in any serious effort, weren't mature, and took countless classes over again. If these students performed a little low academically but were otherwise serious mature students, then that would be one thing but they weren't.

When these students applied to medical school they got rejected from SGU, but almost always got into Ross. Now what am I to think about Ross then?

Do these students characterize all students at Ross? OFCOURSE NOT, nor am I making the claim. However when comparing SGU or Ross, I think SGU is better simply because even though SGU students might not have done as great academically as US Medical Students, they still in general seem to be dedicated and passionate students.

SGU06 said:
I am a senior at NYIT, and here's why I have a personal problem with Ross.

NYIT is roughly as competetive as other state schools in NY and NJ, and maybe other states as well. (I don't know)

Nonetheless, I have had people in my pre-med science classes that I really don't believe have any right to be in medical school. They never seemed to put in any serious effort, weren't mature, and took countless classes over again. If these students performed a little low academically but were otherwise serious mature students, then that would be one thing but they weren't.

When these students applied to medical school they got rejected from SGU, but almost always got into Ross. Now what am I to think about Ross then?

Do these students characterize all students at Ross? OFCOURSE NOT, nor am I making the claim. However when comparing SGU or Ross, I think SGU is better simply because even though SGU students might not have done as great academically as US Medical Students, they still in general seem to be dedicated and passionate students.

Well, first off, if you truly are a senior at NYIT - and you are going to SGU and not NYCOM (which is part of NYIT) - then good for you. You are on the path to becoming a physician, and that's all that matters.

Now, to address a couple of your other points...

Yes, many babies make it into Ross. As many Ross students will attest, they inevitably get their shot, fail out, and then go to boards like ValueMD (which is a biased and poor reflection of what actually happens down there, I might add) and start whining. You get weeded-out on the island; not beforehand. Admittedly, SGU (and the U.S. allo schools, of course) do a better job of weeding these potential problematic students out before offering an admission.

Secondly, you're assuming (maybe innocently) that the program itself won't allow the opportunity for personal growth of these "babies" who happen to somehow successfully navigate their way through the program and make it to becoming an MD. Most people who make it off of Dominica, pass USMLE Step 1 and 2, and happen to get an MD from Ross actually do have their act together - whether they already had it together beforehand or got it together through the four-year process.

Lastly, you have obviously not had much opportunity to interact with many physicians on the wards yet. While the vast majority of attendings - no matter whether they are from U.S. schools - osteo or allo, the Caribbean, or are true IMGs from other schools throughout the world - are professional, competent, and mature. Having said that, you will run into more than your fair share of incompetent, egotistical, immature a-holes in the wards, and there is no consistent pattern of what specialty they are in or where they went to school. There are some extremely intelligent folks who happen to have severe personality disorders who make it into the field of medicine. That's just like every other profession.

So, before you form a generally biased association of "Ross = immature slackers" (which, based on your post, seems to be your loose conclusion), get a little more information on what actually happens on the island, who makes it off, who can pass their tests, and what programs actually take Ross graduates. Also, if you do go to SGU, don't be surprised when you see similar slackers who ultimately fail out of the program. SGU may have fewer of them, and may do a better job of keeping it hush-hush, but they are there.

Most of the programs I've interviewed at this year hold Ross and SGU in equal regard. Again, I haven't seen many other students from other Carib programs on the interview trail. And, that, my friend, is all that matters - certainly not someone's perception on this (or other) forums.

-Skip

Both SGU and Ross are solid schools, based on USMLE pass rates. The only key diffrence is the location. SGU is on an island which is like a resort. Accomidations are similar to the US. But the island Ross is on is very diffrent, definatly diffrent from the US. So it depends on how well you can adapt. People will always complain, that's just a given. Heck I live in Canada, awesome country but I still complain when its hits 40 below!! So take all the whining with a grain of salt. Find out for yourself, do lots of research and be well informed.

Skip Intro said:
Well, first off, if you truly are a senior at NYIT - and you are going to SGU and not NYCOM (which is part of NYIT) - then good for you. You are on the path to becoming a physician, and that's all that matters.

I find it very unfortunate that someone that usually has very good information and mature viewpoint of medicine in general can't consider someone that goes to NYCOM as "on the path to becoming a physician."

If you think someone that goes to an osteopathic school isn't on the path to becoming a physician, then you've definitely lost all respect I had for you as one of the best Caribbean SDN posters. Going to NYCOM and going to SGU are *both* paths to becoming physicians.

Skip Intro said:

Now, to address a couple of your other points...

Yes, many babies make it into Ross. As many Ross students will attest, they inevitably get their shot, fail out, and then go to boards like ValueMD (which is a biased and poor reflection of what actually happens down there, I might add) and start whining. You get weeded-out on the island; not beforehand. Admittedly, SGU (and the U.S. allo schools, of course) do a better job of weeding these potential problematic students out before offering an admission.

Secondly, you're assuming (maybe innocently) that the program itself won't allow the opportunity for personal growth of these "babies" who happen to somehow successfully navigate their way through the program and make it to becoming an MD. Most people who make it off of Dominica, pass USMLE Step 1 and 2, and happen to get an MD from Ross actually do have their act together - whether they already had it together beforehand or got it together through the four-year process.

Lastly, you have obviously not had much opportunity to interact with many physicians on the wards yet. While the vast majority of attendings - no matter whether they are from U.S. schools - osteo or allo, the Caribbean, or are true IMGs from other schools throughout the world - are professional, competent, and mature. Having said that, you will run into more than your fair share of incompetent, egotistical, immature a-holes in the wards, and there is no consistent pattern of what specialty they are in or where they went to school. There are some extremely intelligent folks who happen to have severe personality disorders who make it into the field of medicine. That's just like every other profession.

So, before you form a generally biased association of "Ross = immature slackers" (which, based on your post, seems to be your loose conclusion), get a little more information on what actually happens on the island, who makes it off, who can pass their tests, and what programs actually take Ross graduates. Also, if you do go to SGU, don't be surprised when you see similar slackers who ultimately fail out of the program. SGU may have fewer of them, and may do a better job of keeping it hush-hush, but they are there.

Most of the programs I've interviewed at this year hold Ross and SGU in equal regard. Again, I haven't seen many other students from other Carib programs on the interview trail. And, that, my friend, is all that matters - certainly not someone's perception on this (or other) forums.

-Skip

I must say I'm impressed by the depth of your answer. I feel that your much farther ahead in this whole process than I am, and that your perspective is a far more complete one than my own.

Your right that anyone that graduates from Ross and passes the USMLE exams has certainly reached a certain level of maturity, even if they did not possess that maturity when they entered Ross.

I will admit that my liking of SGU is a bit about ego. Why should I goto the same school where so many NYIT slackers went. Nonetheless, it is comforting to know that those slackers either failed out or stepped up :thumbup:

Shinken said:
I find it very unfortunate that someone that usually has very good information and mature viewpoint of medicine in general can't consider someone that goes to NYCOM as "on the path to becoming a physician."

If you think someone that goes to an osteopathic school isn't on the path to becoming a physician, then you've definitely lost all respect I had for you as one of the best Caribbean SDN posters. Going to NYCOM and going to SGU are *both* paths to becoming physicians.

I think this was your misinterpretation of what I said vs. lack-of-clarity on my part. Mea culpa and my apologies for, perhaps, an awkward pair of sentences. I did not intend to create the appearance of an "either/or" proposition.

NYCOM (students from which I've done many rotations side-by-side) is a fine institution that produces excellent physicians. To clarify, my point was that whether you ultimately decide to go to NYCOM or St. George's - EITHER WAY - you are on an excellent path to fulfilling your dreams of becoming a doctor.

I hope that clears things up.

-Skip

Also, here's Ross' policy on undergraduate degrees with regards to the original question on this thread (from their website):

...students must meet all the requirements for admission to Ross University; namely, they must have earned a bachelor's degree or equivalent from an American, Canadian or other internationally recognized college or university. (Occasionally, applicants qualify for admission upon the completion of 90 credits (i.e., three fulltime years) or post-secondary studies.)

http://www.rossmed.edu/Frequent_questions/frequent_questions.html

-Skip