Undergraduate Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aya01

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like most people here hold an undergraduate degree...is that the case for most pharmacy applicants? Do those of you with undergradute degrees wish you would've applied earlier (as in the 2yr pre-req + 4yr pharmacy route for six years total) or do you think it's better that you have a solid degree before entering pharmacy school?

I'm kinda at a fork in the road where I can decide to either apply this year to enter pharmacy school in the fall of '06 or just finish up my undergrad work to earn a degree before applying. I've been told to apply and get ahead, but I thought I'd get some opinions on other people's experiences here at the forum, too :)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

aya01 said:
It seems like most people here hold an undergraduate degree...is that the case for most pharmacy applicants? Do those of you with undergradute degrees wish you would've applied earlier (as in the 2yr pre-req + 4yr pharmacy route for six years total) or do you think it's better that you have a solid degree before entering pharmacy school?

I'm kinda at a fork in the road where I can decide to either apply this year to enter pharmacy school in the fall of '06 or just finish up my undergrad work to earn a degree before applying. I've been told to apply and get ahead, but I thought I'd get some opinions on other people's experiences here at the forum, too :)

Thanks!

why not do all 3 (apply, get ahead, get your undergraduate degree)? ;)

The schools I applied to (3) all had stats of like >95% of their admitted students plan to have a bachelors by marticulation. Figure it's pretty much the same everywhere.

I would never want to try and squeeze in all those prereq's in 2 years (I don't even think it'd actually be possible for USC for example).

Members don't see this ad :)
also the experiences you have as an undergrad are priceless and in my opinion has made me a more well-rounded and attractive candidate for pharmacy school.

But I also didn't know that I wanted to be a pharmacist early on and I needed that time during my undergrad to research my career options. So if you're certain that being pharmacist is what you want, then apply now but also keep your options of finishing your bachelors open...getting into pharmacy school is getting more competitive each year and having your degree will definetly help you if for some reason you dont get in your first time around.

TrojanAnteater said:
The schools I applied to (3) all had stats of like >95% of their admitted students plan to have a bachelors by marticulation. Figure it's pretty much the same everywhere.

I would never want to try and squeeze in all those prereq's in 2 years (I don't even think it'd actually be possible for USC for example).

2 points:

1) To clarify my original response, from the OP's post I was under the impression that the OP was in his 2nd yr of undergrad (am i not correct?). So by "get ahead," I meant just finish up 3rd yr with an undergraduate degree and apply with the degree.

2) TrojanAnteater, yeah, 2 yrs is insane, but I think the OP meant finishing up his prereqs in 3 years. Either way, believe it or not, it's actually possible to finish all of USC's prereqs in 3 years.

I finished my prereqs in 2 years. It's definitely do-able.

TrojanAnteater said:

It's not the same everywhere...I think that California is one of the few (only?)states where all the pharmacy schools require a de facto bachelor's. I go to school in Michigan and all the schools here (U-M, Wayne State, and Ferris State) actually let people in with just 2 years of preqs. For example, in last year's Ferris class, 78 percent of the admitted students did not have a bachelor's or higher.

I personally think that six years is enough......

But I honestly haven't heard that many people entering pharmacy school w/ only 2 years.. but if they do - more power to them!

Thanks for sharing your advice and experiences, everyone!

I'm actually entering my second year of undergrad this fall. Only three more pre-reqs to go *crosses fingers*

sarahjth said:
But I honestly haven't heard that many people entering pharmacy school w/ only 2 years.. but if they do - more power to them!

Actually, most of the P1s I know entered pharmacy school with only two years. I didn't know it was more common for people to enter with a bachelor's degree until I happened upon this forum :)

So according to most of you, I should have my Bachelor degree to have a better chance to get into Pharmcacy school? :confused: IT's really freaking me out, cuz i have been trying to finish my prerequistites ASAP. As an international student, it costs me lot of money for living and tuition fee. that's y i've decided to take classes in summer, winter section. And i nearly finish my prereq in 1 year (only 4 classes left) and I got a pretty high GPA too (3.8) So according to you, should I just go ahead and apply this fall ? :scared: Thanks for you advice!

It wouldn't hurt to apply this Fall. I would..you have a good GPA. Do have EC's and pharmacy experience? If you don't get in, keep working toward a bachelor's degree (then again, it's up to you if you want to do that since the costs are pretty high) and just reapply.

BABY_GHOST said:
So according to most of you, I should have my Bachelor degree to have a better chance to get into Pharmcacy school? :confused: IT's really freaking me out, cuz i have been trying to finish my prerequistites ASAP. As an international student, it costs me lot of money for living and tuition fee. that's y i've decided to take classes in summer, winter section. And i nearly finish my prereq in 1 year (only 4 classes left) and I got a pretty high GPA too (3.8) So according to you, should I just go ahead and apply this fall ? :scared: Thanks for you advice!

why not apply this yr (2005-2006) and in the mean time finish up your Bachelor's degree? it's not like there are THAT many additional classes you have to take...that way, you get your Bachelors (I want one even tho I'm going to get a PharmD, hence I didn't do UOP's 5-yr program), don't waste a yr by thinking whether or not you should apply next yr, and (hopefully) get into pharmacy school with your cool Bachelor's degree. :thumbup:

Thinking about doing a dual degree like PharmD/MBA or PharmD/PhD *might* require you to have a bachelor's too!

jammocah said:
Thinking about doing a dual degree like PharmD/MBA or PharmD/PhD *might* require you to have a bachelor's too!

the majority of my class had a bachlors..

to answer this question... the phd i don't know anything about but you're probably right..

the MBA on the other hand... HERE you just had to have had so many hours before you could enter the course and your pharmacy GPA had to be good. we had one guy start it after his 1.5 year and he will finish up with it when we graduate. he did not have a bachlors and we are not a school that awards them as you go.... something that i have found would be extremely handy...

if you think you MIGHT ever want to do something else go ahead for the bachlors because i'm going to have to go back to finish mine before i will be able to do some of the stuff i want to do

My problem is that i didn't have any experience. Whenever i go smwhere to apply for a job, or even volunteer, they ask my SSN which i dun have. I m considering apply next year after i prepared carefully. And by the way, if i should get a Bachelor degree, which major should I chose ( i mean, which one that u think that gonna help u when u get into Pharm school) I know that it's gonna cost me alot , but i really love to become pharmacist. The reason is not the high salary or anything, just that my mom wanted to become pharmacist but she couldn't cuz my family couldn't afford that. So now, i really wanna make it. :) Thanks yo for helping me.