Undergraduate Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CedricR

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! So I am quite in a pickle right now and was hoping to get some advice. So right now I am currently a freshman at a state school studying pre-med but soon will have to leave. My parents unfortunately discovered my sexual orientation ( gay ) and refuse to contribute to my education, claiming they refuse to help me destroy my life. We have been arguing about this since January and it has become apparent they will change their minds any time soon. I plan on dropping out and working full time after this year and go to my local community college ( as I really can not afford anything else ). They refuse to complete the FAFSA which would make my life so much easier. :(. I have talked to my financial aid department and a dependency override did not work.

My ultimate goal is to become a doctor but obviously it has been put on hold. I can not complete the FAFSA until I am either 24, married, or in the military. I am considering doing nursing or EMT in my community college but I have read multiple threads that advice against it. I really like the idea of trauma and the ER which is why I am considering EMT but at the same time I am considering nursing because the pay is better ( better pay for less hours = more time I can spend on and afford classes ). Right now I am working a restaurant and bring home about $10hr, which means full time is necessary and I know I can handle at least 2 classes a semester. Any advice on how I should approach this issue? Do you think I should go to community college for nursing ( better pay ), EMT ( experience ), or neither?

I am also concerned about how I am going to get my extracurriculars in! It just seems I do have enough time for everything or the money to fund everything!

Members don't see this ad.