Undergraduate Education

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackets5

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do residency programs care about our undergrad education. I went to a Caribbean school so my UG was not so hot but i scored average for US grads on my board exams. Is anyone going to ask to see anything about my UG education. I had a person tell me her residency program asked for her degree or transcript i dont remember which.

Members don't see this ad.

Most residency programs do not ask for undergraduate transcripts. However there are some, in more competitive specialties such as Plastics and Ortho which have been known to do so. At this point there is nothing you can do about it now.

Follow-up question - in the interview, when they ask us (us = people who didn't get into med school in the US) to explain why we chose to med school overseas (Australia, in my case), should we quickly mention undergrad and move on? Or should we spend more time explaining our thought process when choosing a med school? In my case, I decided on Australia because I wanted to go somewhere interesting and my MCAT score was good enough to get into Sydney, but it's also true that my GPA was too low for the US (I never actually applied).