Undergraduate Internships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heartfelt29

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows of pre-veterinary undergraduate internships. I am most interested in equine, but would consider any pre-vet internship. I have good grades and lots of horse experience. I'm looking at a few, just wondering if anyone has done one of these or knows of any that aren't as mainstream. I'm only looking for ones that I can do during the summer, approximately June and July. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most colleges have an intranet thing that lists jobs/internships. That's where I found mine

I honestly googled for animal related internships and found a bunch that way. I would post them for you, but it honestly would be faster for you to google "animal internship".

Reactions: 1 user
I did this internship as an undergrad and really enjoyed it. It's good if you want to experience the research side of vet med. They take interns in summer as well as during the school year, just in case you were interested in a chance to take a semester off to do an internship or something:
http://www.stlzoo.org/conservation/institute-for-conservation-medicine/ (Scroll down to "Student Research Opportunities")

Google "preveterinary internships" or something like that, and do it several times a year. A lot of places go under the radar if their positions aren't currently posted.

Oh, the National Aviary had a nice internship, though I think they have a 3 month minimum. Not paid or anything but the vets there are awesome and will definitely write you a good recommendation letter as long as you do your job and show interest in the cases/patients.

I did this internship as an undergrad and really enjoyed it. It's good if you want to experience the research side of vet med. They take interns in summer as well as during the school year, just in case you were interested in a chance to take a semester off to do an internship or something:
http://www.stlzoo.org/conservation/institute-for-conservation-medicine/ (Scroll down to "Student Research Opportunities")
Do you mind me asking how long your internship lasted? I am very interested in research and conservation medicine and this sounds like an incredible opportunity!

Do you mind me asking how long your internship lasted? I am very interested in research and conservation medicine and this sounds like an incredible opportunity!
I did my internship over the summer, so it lasted from May through August. They worked with my schedule for deciding the length: I started about a week after my classes had finished and ended about a week before they started up again, so it was almost 4 months long. I got close to 600 hours out of it total. One of my fellow interns was a vet student who only did it for 8 weeks, and another one of my fellow interns had also participated during her previous semester for school credit (she attended a nearby university). There are different application deadlines depending on whether you're applying for a summer position or a fall/spring position. The summer positions are very competitive, while the fall/spring positions are less so. Just something to consider. :)

(Just a disclaimer: This info is all based off of what the program was like 2 years ago when I did it.)

I did my internship over the summer, so it lasted from May through August. They worked with my schedule for deciding the length: I started about a week after my classes had finished and ended about a week before they started up again, so it was almost 4 months long. I got close to 600 hours out of it total. One of my fellow interns was a vet student who only did it for 8 weeks, and another one of my fellow interns had also participated during her previous semester for school credit (she attended a nearby university). There are different application deadlines depending on whether you're applying for a summer position or a fall/spring position. The summer positions are very competitive, while the fall/spring positions are less so. Just something to consider. :)

(Just a disclaimer: This info is all based off of what the program was like 2 years ago when I did it.)
Thank you for the information! It sounds awesome :)

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the tips guys. I have been googling it and emailing people, just looking for anyone that has actually done internships and could point me towards one that might be missed on a google search. ;) Thanks.

That depends a lot on the internship. Some you can choose - I've seen ones that let you do as little as 6 weeks or as many as several months. I personally did an internship that was supposed to be one semester and was able to extend it to a second semester.

I'm looking at the Hagyard Undergrad internship for this next (2017) spring, since I missed the fall deadline (I hadn't heard about it until a relatively short time ago). I'm in need of more large animal/equine experience, and this place looks like a good place to go for it. I had a friend who did the KESMARC internship over the summer two or three years ago and I wanted to do it, but I think they're closed down (temporarily?) because of that incident they had. Not sure of the details on it, though.

ANYWAY, I recommend (along with everyone else) just searching "large animal/equine/small animal/etc. undergrad internships". Maybe even add the state if you have a specific place you're looking to go to. Best of luck! :)

ALSO, on that note, has anyone done the Hagyard undergrad internship before? I've got an interview scheduled for this next week & I'm just wondering what to expect for it--I haven't heard or been able to find any talk about it. I've seen things for the vet student internships, but not for undergrad.

I'm looking at the Hagyard Undergrad internship for this next (2017) spring, since I missed the fall deadline (I hadn't heard about it until a relatively short time ago). I'm in need of more large animal/equine experience, and this place looks like a good place to go for it. I had a friend who did the KESMARC internship over the summer two or three years ago and I wanted to do it, but I think they're closed down (temporarily?) because of that incident they had. Not sure of the details on it, though.

ANYWAY, I recommend (along with everyone else) just searching "large animal/equine/small animal/etc. undergrad internships". Maybe even add the state if you have a specific place you're looking to go to. Best of luck! :)
this is a bit late replying, but what was the incident at KESMARC? and any update on how the hagyard interview and/or internship went? thanks