This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovegrapesoda

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm going into my second year and I've been volunteering in a neuroscience research lab for the past 6 months. All I really do is label pipettes, run errands, etc. Occasionally I get to pipette myself and centrifuge, but that's about it. I don't really know how other undergraduates get involved in the actual projects going on in their labs. How do they get involved in the real research? Get their names on the posters and have opportunities to present their findings? How do some even get published? I want to get down to the nitty gritty but I don't know how :/ How does this happen???

Welp the best way is to talk about this with the PI before you join the lab. That your interest is to get involved with a direct research project where you can produce data and be part of a manuscript and/or present it in a variety of ways. Based on your question it doesn't sound like you did a good job doing that. You can usually get a feel in that initial conversation what the PI is going to ask of you and where it can lead.

That said 6 months for your first wet lab research project isn't that long. Even a number of those students you talk about who end up in manuscripts didn't really do anything their first 3-6 months and had to work their way up and earn the PI's respect. If you have done a good job of what's asked of you and have a solid relationship with the PI and others in your lab, express what you are saying here to him. Go up to him man to man and see what he says and how he views your situation. If hes not interested in giving you your own project or anything that can lead in that direction it might be time to move on to a different lab(and you can definitely find another PI if you are upfront about what your goals are who can help you with this if you do have to move).

I'm going into my second year and I've been volunteering in a neuroscience research lab for the past 6 months. All I really do is label pipettes, run errands, etc. Occasionally I get to pipette myself and centrifuge, but that's about it. I don't really know how other undergraduates get involved in the actual projects going on in their labs. How do they get involved in the real research? Get their names on the posters and have opportunities to present their findings? How do some even get published? I want to get down to the nitty gritty but I don't know how :/ How does this happen???

I think it depends on the school or lab. I have no idea how research traditionally works for undergrads but I was actually able to start my own project at the beginning of my junior year. Mostly because I went to a very small school. Granted it was a small, low budget project, designed by a naiive undergrad. But eventually I got a poster presentation and potential publication out of it. The moral of my story is that it's totally different depending on the situation. I was able to get very involved in research because I went to a small school. The consequence of that is it was pretty low impact.

You're best plan is probably to speak to the PI as mentioned to make your intentions clear.

Members don't see this ad :)
I told my PI I was interested in her project from what I learned about it and gave her my resume. I had no prior research experience but showing interest in her subject got me in the door and a good academic history got me a job. 1 week after learning my ways around the lab I was assigned my own project. I think it depends on the PI and talking to a few and explaining your goals will allow opportunities.

talk to the PI and ask for your own project. it's not that hard to accomplish. if that's not successful, find another lab.