Undergraduate research?

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that it is a very good idea to do research in UG, however, even though I do not have to worry about this for a couple years, the question has crossed my mind a few times. How the heck to you even go about doing "research" or getting something "published" or whatever. A lot of the schools I am applying to have medical schools and are mostly public research uni's. Do I have to do this "research" at MY uni? or can I do research at like the University of Cambridge or something or in another country or another school, etc? I'm just wondering.

Also, does doing research help a lot in med school admissions? Do you have to get research published? I'm just a little confused here.

Members don't see this ad.

As far as how to get research, just approach your professors. I am a freshman and I just ended up talking to a SI of one of my classes and he was able to hook me up with some great research. Just search around. P.S. My school is a public school as well.

Research is kind of like the cherry on top of a sundae. You do not have to have publications.

Being an undergrad probably means you arent going to be out there doing groundbreaking research and curing diseases and discovering all sorts of cool crap like that. Perhaps your professor might be trying, but chances are s/he wont be doing that either (thats why s/he is where s/he is at and not in some government/huge corporate lab making big bucks for discovering amazing things). Dont get me wrong, I'm not talking down to the research professors are doing, because they are generally all involved in something that can be applied to their field of study and help out immensly. Undergrad research allows you to experience what its like to be a researcher. By no means should you be expected to be out there publishing stuff, although some students can get thier names on a paper for their role. Research can help your application, but from what I've heard it wont kill it if its not there...especially if you have no interest in research at all since you shouldnt do things just to jump through hoops. I'm in a virology lab right now and I've been able to learn a lot about different lab techniques and procedures and I like it a lot. Because of it I've decided that I really am interested in research and I will probably pursue a Masters. So I would advise you to get involved, I think undergrad research is a great thing....even if you arent sure if you will like it or not try it out, becuase thats the only way you will know for sure

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I would recommend that you do some research.
Yes, medical schools like it.
No you don't have to be published...if you can get your name on a publication that is good, but you don't necessarily have to have publications.

I have heard that it is a very good idea to do research in UG, however, even though I do not have to worry about this for a couple years, the question has crossed my mind a few times. How the heck to you even go about doing "research" or getting something "published" or whatever. A lot of the schools I am applying to have medical schools and are mostly public research uni's. Do I have to do this "research" at MY uni? or can I do research at like the University of Cambridge or something or in another country or another school, etc? I'm just wondering.

Also, does doing research help a lot in med school admissions? Do you have to get research published? I'm just a little confused here.

There are TONS of research opportunities for undergrads. Often you'll have to start out unpaid. Publications comes as you carry through successful projects. Depending on the school it can help a lot for admissions. I've got five papers and it has certainly been a selling point. Lastly, there are a variety of summer programs you can participate in (for example, NSF REU).

5 publications? Wow! What author are you on those?