Undergraduate TA job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted678432

My organic chemistry class has an undergrad TA and I was wanting to become one next semester. I have been going to my professor's office hours, and frequently emailing her and setting up meetings with her when I have questions on the material. Also, I thankfully scored a 100% on my first exam. If I want to open the door for becoming an UGTA, how would you recommend I do so? Should I email her now or when I begin to build a bit more of a relationship with her? What would you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Too early. I'd say immediately after you get your grade (make sure it's an A-/A.)

Reactions: 1 users
Just bring it up whenever you're with her during office hours. Explain to her that you are very interested in the opportunity.

Members don't see this ad :)
Too early. I'd say immediately after you get your grade (make sure it's an A-/A.)
Just bring it up whenever you're with her during office hours. Explain to her that you are very interested in the opportunity.
Two opposite suggestions... I've been offered a spot for my calculus class (I took it for 1 sem.) and for my Gen Chem class aswell, but they both approached me without me doing anything besides doing well in the classes. I'm thinking about just waiting it out for when the time comes, and potentially wait for more tests so I can separate myself from the class. I also don't want to get there too late...:nailbiting:

The convention is that you have to get an A to become one. Express your interest now and let that notion percolate in their minds for when you do receive that final A, then you can go back and start working on it. Alternatively, you can wait to see what you get and then pitch your desire afterwards. The only thing is you would hate to find out they already had someone in mind when you went after the semester was over.

Well is it for OChem 1 or 2 or both?
At my school you have to be able to do both.
I was asked around the last week of 2nd semester (I'm not doing it though)

If it's just ochem 1 I'd ask after the 2nd-3rd test. I feel those are harder in general so might be a better time. It's still early in the semester I feel.

From my understanding it's just OChem 1, but haven't bought about it possibly being 2 a rewuirement

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile