Undergraduate Transcripts required for Residency Application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Server10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I was wondering what percentage of residency programs require applicants to submit undergraduate transcripts. I was also wondering if it differed between specialties. From the research that I have done so far, only the more competitive programs require undergraduate transcripts (radiation oncology, ENT, orthopedic surgery, etc.), although I'm sure some other programs do as well. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks for the help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, I was wondering what percentage of residency programs require applicants to submit undergraduate transcripts. I was also wondering if it differed between specialties. From the research that I have done so far, only the more competitive programs require undergraduate transcripts (radiation oncology, ENT, orthopedic surgery, etc.), although I'm sure some other programs do as well. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks for the help! :)

My understanding is basically none, but others with more experience in things like rad-onc, etc. may correct me on that.

Since almost all residency programs now receive applications through ERAS, it's a standardized process and tends not to differ between specialties. ERAS does not have a place for you to enter your undergraduate transcripts.

I was actually not aware that the competitive programs require undergraduate transcripts. Almost everyone that I know of tends to look at your Step 1 scores, which you usually take after MS2.

I heard a rumor that the SF Match can process undergrad transcripts if programs want them.

About a thousand years ago when I applied for Integrated Plastics a few programs asked for undergrad transcripts.

There are actually several threads on this topic, so a search may be in order, although I do not think the OP will find an answer to the query, "what percentage" of programs require it.

I applied to 68 ortho programs last year and had to send in my undergrad transcripts to 2, my MCAT scores to 3, and my SAT/ACT scores to 1.

Cool, thanks for the information. I guess the vast majority don't consider undergraduate transcripts, even for competitive residencies like ortho.

Also, after a search on SDN I had found that a few programs in radiology oncology and several competitive residencies at San Francisco required them, but not much in addition to that.

Cool, thanks for the information. I guess the vast majority don't consider undergraduate transcripts, even for competitive residencies like ortho.

Also, after a search on SDN I had found that a few programs in radiology oncology and several competitive residencies at San Francisco required them, but not much in addition to that.

You sure they were AT San Fran?

:eek:

Mine were probably written on stone tablets, so even if I could find them, it would be tough to send in.

LOL

That's what the flat rate box from the post office is for!

All of the programs that required this info didn't need an official copy of the information. Some just wanted you to tell them what you scored, some wanted photocopies of your scores. Even the transcripts, I had them at home, so I faxed them.

Some state licensing boards, however, still do require undergrad transcripts, even for a temp license; which, if your GME office helps you with the application, which it most likely will, will go into your file. Of course, this would be after you've matched for a residency spot.

which state licensing boards require undergraduate transcripts? That's wacked out...I'll bet it is for purposed of making sure you weren't booted from college for criminal behavior or unethical behavior like cheating. I think it's pretty wild that ortho programs want SAT scores, too...this just goes to show what happens when they end up splitting hairs to that degree...although it would have helped me get into a good IM program if they'd asked for my undergrad transcripts and MCAT score, as they definitely trumped my med school grades...LOL.

Just as FYI, here is a radiation oncology program at UTMB in Galveston which requires undergraduate transcripts.

http://www.utmb.edu/radonc/academic_education_residency_program.aspx

I also talked to a surgeon that I know who teaches at a colorectal fellowship program at UT Southwestern, and he said that their program looks at undergraduate transcripts as well.

The main reason I was wondering was because I am a pre-med student who was recently accepted to medical school. Every pre-med student that I know who has been accepted is under the impression that undergraduate grades don't matter anymore, and plans on not taking next semester very seriously. Even our pre-med advisor seemed to imply that undergrad. grades don't matter anymore.

I'm planning on treating next semester like any other and working hard, but I just wanted to see what the consensus (whether undergrad. transcripts were required for residency) was among those who have already applied to residency programs. Thanks everyone for the helpful information. :thumbup:

which state licensing boards require undergraduate transcripts? That's wacked out...

I only have experience with a couple. One application requirement reads as follows: "Furnish a certified, with school seal affixed, pre-medical transcript of grades from all colleges or universities attended for one semester or longer."

server10
I would say out of all residency programs, it's probably <<10% that would ask for undergraduate transcripts. It's pretty much unheard of in my field (internal medicine). Rad/onc is an unusual example because it's a super, super picky residency program. My advice is to not totally slack but don't forget to have fun this semester...getting one B or something is not going to trash your future chances of doing anything.

I applied to 68 ortho programs last year and had to send in my undergrad transcripts to 2, my MCAT scores to 3, and my SAT/ACT scores to 1.
by "ortho" do you mean orthopedic surgery or orthodontics?