Underrepresented in Medicine Definition (Please Read)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctaJay

bone breaker
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is taken from : http://www.aamc.org/meded/urm/start.htm

The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) Executive Committee adopted a clarification to its definition of "underrepresented in medicine" on March 19, 2004, titled "The status of the new AAMC definition of 'underrepresented in medicine' following the Supreme Court's decision in Grutter."

The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) definition of underrepresented in medicine is:

"Underrepresented in medicine means those racial and ethnic populations that are underrepresented in the medical profession relative to their numbers in the general population."

Adopted by the AAMC's Executive Council on June 26, 2003, the definition helps medical schools accomplish three important objectives:

* a shift in focus from a fixed aggregation of four racial and ethnic groups to a continually evolving underlying reality. The definition accommodates including and removing underrepresented groups on the basis of changing demographics of society and the profession,
* a shift in focus from a national perspective to a regional or local perspective on underrepresentation, and
* stimulate data collection and reporting on the broad range of racial and ethnic self-descriptions.

Before June 26, 2003, the AAMC used the term "underrepresented minority (URM)," which consisted of Blacks, Mexican-Americans, Native Americans (that is, American Indians, Alaska Natives, and Native Hawaiians), and mainland Puerto Ricans. The AAMC remains committed to ensuring access to medical education and medicine-related careers for individuals from these four historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
this isn't new info, but it may help the many questions that various members may have. You have a higher chance of being considered "underrepresented" if you fall under the historic groups, but as the demographics of the United States change, then the medical's definition of who is underrepresented or not will change also. Below is the current makeup of the doctors in the U.S., along with the same make up of the overall population:

docsqb7.jpg

Th breakdown of our current U.S. Population from Wikipedia:

Whites: 74.7%
Blacks: 12.1%
Asian: 4.3%
Native American: 0.8%
Pacific Islander: 0.1%
Hispanic: 14.5%
Other: 6%
Two or More Races: 1.9%

Reactions: 1 user
this isn't new info, but it may help the many questions that various members may have. You have a higher chance of being considered "underrepresented" if you fall under the historic groups, but as the demographics of the United States change, then the medical's definition of who is underrepresented or not will change also. Below is the current makeup of the doctors in the U.S., along with the same make up of the overall population:

docsqb7.jpg

I'm not sure if i'm allowed to ask questions in a sticky tread so if not delete this.

What are the exact categories that you can choose on the application? I dont have access to an app.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like 'unknown' is most over-represented of all ;-)

And the white people. They seem to be under-represented...

What is the breakdown of medical students with regards to ethnic background?

docsqb7.jpg

Where do people of Middle Eastern descent fall into this pie chart, I'm curious??

I'm probably one of the earlier ones to get out and complete my undergrad degree in preparation for applying to medical school but I'm a combat vet from Afghanistan (2001-02) wanting to work with the VA and help out all these messed up veterans getting back from Iraq and Afghanistan. It's really tough to open up to someone that doesn't understand the war experience, and I would love to be there for them but I'm having a hard time finding anyone like me that can offer advice. I was straight up infantry. How does "do harm" transfer over to "do no harm". They're are no blocks to check for veterans and certainly they are underrepresented in healthcare. There are plenty of people applying for medical school so they can serve IN the military but people don't realize that the veteran population and the military population are completely different. Anybody else out there in this situation?

Hey raincityrooster. I agree that certainly previous vets entering medical school are a minority in terms of the other applicants applying, but the current definition from the AAMC doesn't approach minority in this way. Honestly, there are many pockets of applicants that you could technically call a minority (i.e.- there probably aren't very many Malaysians applying to medical school in the US), but for now the definition is as it is above.

SDN does however have a military medicine forum where you may be able to hook up with others that are like you: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=72. Also, while you are not considered a technical minority in the US application process, your life experiences are vastly different from many of the applicants you'll be competing against. With your MCAT and GPA being good, your experiences as a vet will make you much more interesting to adcomms than normal premed students who have barely worked a summer job.

I've been thinking about applying URM, but am not entirely certain whether my doing so could be harmful. Could an Adcom think of me in a negative light if I apply as URM, since I am not a racial minority but rather am an ethnic minority? The definition would suggest that this would not be the case, but in this nation, the commoners' definition of minority applies only to visible (racial) minorities.

You don't apply as a URM....you simply put down your ethnicity and the schools decide according to the aamc definition...however if you feel like you have faced hardship you can apply as disadvantaged as well...and then explain your story...good luck!!!

The lack of minorities in medical school is actually quite shocking as it is, considering the makeup of the US in general, and the racial breakdown of California specifically. The number of patients I've seen who have had a hard time communicating with their provider because there just wasn't an interpreter around is pretty numerous. From my experience, it is not until you hit the wards that you really see the lack of minorities in positions other than the janitor. You are lucky if some of them are nurses or medical assistants of some capacity. Seeing another minority physician is quite rare. The lack of diversity really does exist and I question anyone who states otherwise.

Reactions: 2 users
So is it like college admissions in some schools where one's race/social status has an influence on an admissions officer?
ex. would a black working class woman have a better chance at getting into a medical school than a white upper class man?
or social stuatus aside,
would a black woman have a better chance at getting into a med school than a white man? (With similar gpa/MCATs, of course)
I am just curious as to how this works so thanks in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
So is it like college admissions in some schools where one's race/social status has an influence on an admissions officer?
ex. would a black working class woman have a better chance at getting into a medical school than a white upper class man?
or social stuatus aside,
would a black woman have a better chance at getting into a med school than a white man? (With similar gpa/MCATs, of course)
I am just curious as to how this works so thanks in advance! :)

The preference given to URM is not extremely significant, but it is nevertheless present. It wont excuse inferior stats by any means.

Well that is great and even more so if this is very well known among fellow med school peers.

It's true that applications place people of middle eastern descent in the caucasian category, but that doesn't make any sense. How are people from the middle east white?

Middle Eastern people in medicine are a minority in the US especially those other than Persians. Middle Eastern women are especially a minority as well. It seems unfair to put people of middle eastern descent in the caucasion category. I feel that that on its own is a disadvantage and further proves that ME descent is underrepresented.

Um ok, so I'm still kind of confused. Some of the schools that I am looking at say they encourage members of minority groups under-represented in medicine to apply to their school. I am half Indian and half Pakistani, and there isn't a significant amount of Asians in medicine according to the above chart...So should I apply to these schools as a minority?

Um ok, so I'm still kind of confused. Some of the schools that I am looking at say they encourage members of minority groups under-represented in medicine to apply to their school. I am half Indian and half Pakistani, and there isn't a significant amount of Asians in medicine according to the above chart...So should I apply to these schools as a minority?

LOL, actually, according to the chart, we're overrepresented compared to
the general population. but you should know that ;)

I was unsure about the underserved community thing. i grew up pretty poor, but i consider my family well off now. we never used WIC, welfare, or any government aid, except for my education. i dont feel like complaining because there are people who have it worse off, but i feel like it could help my application...should i bother considering myself underserved?
my family still makes little income (<$25k)

perhaps this question was already answered and I skipped it or simply is dumb to begin with... but why aren't all hispanics considered as underrepresented if according to the graphs posted, the hispanic physician population consists of only 2.8% compared to a 14.5% (or something like that) general population and blacks, who traditionally are considered underrepresented, have a 3.3% physician population (more than hispanics) and have a smaller percentage of the general population in the U.S. I am aware that Mexican-Americans and Puerto Ricans ARE considered underrepresented, but what about the rest of the hispanic population from central america and south america? Thanks for any input. cheers.

This system really sucks for me as a minority. I am Hispanic and I grew up in Central America under poverty. I came to the US at 15 and became the victim of a violent crime. I wouldn't be considered URM because it's only for Mexican-Americans even though I have the exact same experience as them as a minority. When a racist person decides to be racist, they don't say to me "hey you central american," they say "you f-ing Mexican."

Though you may not be Mexican-American or Mainland Puerto Rican you definitely qualify to be considered as a disadvantaged student according to what you told us. Also, the bottom line is that you will add diversity to medicine because of your experiences!

Do LGBT applicants count as being underrepresented?

Are immigrant and first generation applicants considered underrepresented? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
I was born in cuba, came to the states at the age of 7, parents did not go to school, they worked 2 jobs so I could afford college, and I am the first in my family to go to college. Am I considered URM? My parents income combined is 20k a year and I worked so I could help them.

It's true that applications place people of middle eastern descent in the caucasian category, but that doesn't make any sense. How are people from the middle east white?

Middle Eastern people in medicine are a minority in the US especially those other than Persians. Middle Eastern women are especially a minority as well. It seems unfair to put people of middle eastern descent in the caucasion category. I feel that that on its own is a disadvantage and further proves that ME descent is underrepresented.

I think part of this has to do with the fact that many undergrad institutions (like the CSU, the biggest university system in the US) code middle eastern and north african people as white. I was on an administrative diversity council at a CSU where I was an undergrad and these administrators really don't have any concept that there are different ethnicities in the middle east (they say "arab" and picture persian, it seems) and it is very difficult to explain to people that this definition of middle eastern peoples as white is definately inaccurate and offensive, particularly when you know the history of considering such people (or at least those who historically occupied those areas) as white.

It all came from the belief among early anthropologists that people of color could not be responsible for massive feats in engineering, mathematics, architecture or literature, so there was this massive campaign to quite literally white wash these people. Really wild theories were developed, including ones that assumed the current occupants of these countries (during the 19th and 20th centuries when such studies were done), who were clearly not some lost european tribe, were foreign invaders or immigrants. It's absolutely disgusting. I went to the chancellor's office about this - no one returned my calls. I think what perpetuates it is the 1) desire to make people of color invisible 2) islamophobia (ironic considering a great number of people of middle eastern descent in the US are not muslim) and 3) the simplification of race into a measurement of skin color in order to deny why racial catagories were invented in America and how they were invented, as well as a denial of racism, inherently.

I hope maybe those reading this post will take it upon themselves to try to change this rather horrific custom. I tried doing what little I could, but sadly when its just one person speaking up the issue is easy to ignore. Please help spread awareness.

Though you may not be Mexican-American or Mainland Puerto Rican you definitely qualify to be considered as a disadvantaged student according to what you told us. Also, the bottom line is that you will add diversity to medicine because of your experiences!

I had the same experience as an Arab and Muslim living in Brooklyn NY. My whole life i've been subjected to racism and till this day I'll hear cars as they go by me or people chanting "USA USA USA" or "GO BACK HOME YOU TERRORIST"
thankfully i see the world from a "bird's eye view" i guess you can say, and do not let these little petty things phase me.

Just wanted to point out a recent article about diversity at IUPUI, Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis.

http://inside.iupui.edu/headlines/2...de IUPUI&utm_campaign=Inside IUPUI 07.09.2013

The campus, of over 30,000 students in downtown Indianapolis, Indiana, is in the top 30 non-HBCUs for minority students. We have about 8000 graduate/professional students on campus, including these health units:

Indiana University School of Dentistry
Indiana University School of Health & Rehabilitation Sciences (OT, PA, PT)
Indiana University School of Medicine
Indiana University School of Nursing
Indiana University School of Physical Education & Tourism Management
Indiana University School of Social Work

Best wishes for much success this application cycle!

Josh Morrison
Director, Student Enrollment Services
IU School of Health & Rehabilitation Sciences, IUPUI
shrs.iupui.edu

Hey so I am from Puerto Rico but I study undergrad in FL. According to this URM definition I have to be "mainland Puerto Rican", does this mean, even if I changed my residence to FL when I was a freshman, that I will not be able to count as one?

Hey so I am from Puerto Rico but I study undergrad in FL. According to this URM definition I have to be "mainland Puerto Rican", does this mean, even if I changed my residence to FL when I was a freshman, that I will not be able to count as one?

This is an old definition. Schools will determine your URM status on a case by case basis and, considering that you have Florida residency and there is no distinction between Mainland and Island PRs on the actual demographics portion of the primary application, I think you will be fine.

Boricua hasta el fin, hermano :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.