Underserved

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newt23

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to get some advice. I am a resident with particular interest in doing public health research with underserved populations. I am from Oklahoma so that would mean I would be primarily working with rural populations...though it could be urban too.

What is the best way to prepare to be an academic with this interest set? Should I attend public health school, if so, what should I concentrate in?

Any experiences that would be useful...thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to get some advice. I am a resident with particular interest in doing public health research with underserved populations. I am from Oklahoma so that would mean I would be primarily working with rural populations...though it could be urban too.

What is the best way to prepare to be an academic with this interest set? Should I attend public health school, if so, what should I concentrate in?

Any experiences that would be useful...thanks

I can't tell you what the best way to do this is, as it is not my field of expertise. However, I do know that if you wait until after you complete residency to get an MPH, then there is a good chance you could get your employer to pay not just for your coursework, but also to pay you while you do it. This can either be done as a faculty member using protected time, or as part of a fellowship.