Understanding RVUs: psychotherapy add-on codes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDchouette

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all - I'm trying to figure out how much I would need to bill of what type of service in a potential new job.

I'm a bit confused by the psychotherapy add-on codes and how they figure into RVU calculations.

So:
Level 3 follow up = 0.97 RVU
90833 = 1.5 RVU

Is a level 3 + 90833 worth 1.5 RVU or 0.97+1.5=2.47 RVU?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

you add them up. i am not sure what is confusing, the psychotherapy add on ads ons RVUs to the E&M. because you could be adding the 90833 to a 99212 or even to a 99214 and the RVUs would total up. though a level 3 visit is worth a lot more than 0.97 RVUs and a 90833 is a more than 1.5

Reactions: 1 user
you add them up. i am not sure what is confusing, the psychotherapy add on ads ons RVUs to the E&M. because you could be adding the 90833 to a 99212 or even to a 99214 and the RVUs would total up. though a level 3 visit is worth a lot more than 0.97 RVUs and a 90833 is a more than 1.5

A 99213 is 0.97 'physician work RVUs' which are typically used for calculating physician productivity. The total RVU including facility RVU will be higher, but the part relevant to an employed physician is the work RVU.

2.47 RVUs assuming standard cms RVUs.
RVUs aren't calculated the same 'standard' way everywhere though. So it can be confusing.

Also RVUs might not be paid the same way.
For example cardiology/ortho RVUs usually pay more than PCP RVUs. In that line E&M RVUs might pay more (or less) than psychotherapy RVUs.

Because EM codes generate significantly more revenue per RVU, often times this is reflected in the billing.
You need to know the dollar amount attached to the RVU and if the type of RVU makes a difference. If type of RVUs doesn't make a difference, the more RVUs the better and probably focus on more therapy as you will be able to keep your sanity while maintaining RVUs.