UNE distance prereqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willi113

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken the premedical courses offered by the University of New England's distance postbac program? What are your thoughts about the program? Any acceptances after doing this?

Members don't see this ad.

I cannot speak from personal experience, but I will be taking their G-Chem II course this summer. Unfortunately, I could not find a local school that offered G-Chem II in the evenings only. I was able to find a few reviews on the pre-nursing forums of people that had taken classes through UNE and the common consensus was that it was a good but expensive way to complete a class.

I also contacted a few of the programs that I am most interested in to see what their opinion was and the general sentiment seemed that if it was only one class, they would be indifferent about it, especially given my personal situation (I work full-time and part-time and I want to get this pre-req under my belt to stay on track to complete it before attempting the MCAT in May 2011 - I took the pre-reqs out of order so I already took G-Chem I, Orgo I and am currently taking Orgo II at local schools).

P.S. - I noticed you mentioned "program." I personally would NOT take more than two classes online unless you are already a very strong candidate. The common sentiment from a few admissions officers is that they view online learning as inferior to classroom learning (though, I know many of us non-trads are fans and they fit better in our schedule and, personally, I feel they are every bit as challenging).

Has anyone taken the premedical courses offered by the University of New England's distance postbac program? What are your thoughts about the program? Any acceptances after doing this?

Last edited:

Yeah I was in a weird position last application cycle. I was waitlisted at a school that required biochem (only one I applied to that required it) and so I had to get it asap in case I got called up (obviously I did not). The dean of the MD school actually recommended UNE for the medical biochem course and I took it online. I actually really enjoyed it. The only negative I have about the whole thing was the course grade was based on one, proctored final exam. I did fine though and had 3 MD acceptances this cycle. You really have to be a self starter as well, but it worked great for me.

I also would caution about too many online courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also did biochem and enjoyed it. I've got a couple of interviews and that class was a key difference from the last cycle so it didn't hurt. It wasn't easy, but they did a really good job of laying out what you need to know. Also, the support was good.

I need to take Bio I & II and Orgo I & II to complete my pre-reqs. However, I have a C in gen chem 2 and As in all my other classes.

1) Will it be okay if I repeat gen chem 2 by taking it online through UNE?

2) For classes beyond pre-reqs, is it necessary to have them completed before applying? Or can they be completed during the glide year? Also, how important are they for the MCAT?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Are you re-taking G-Chem II with the intent of raising your science GPA (or did you take it a long time ago)? I think you should cut your loses and move on and ace organic chemistry. Re-taking may be a waste of time (unless you need to knowledge for the MCAT or are applying to osteopathic schools).

Here is my situation: I took G-Chem II (after AP chem, which placed me out of G-Chem I), in 2002 and received a C. I plan to re-take through UNE online because I do not have enough of a grasp of the material to tackle it comfortably on the MCAT. Also, I cannot find a school that offers it in the evening over summer in the Bay Area (I have taken all my other chem classes).

I think in your case that repeating a class that you already took in a standard classroom, online is a tad bit of a waste. The classes are viewed to be inferior so getting an A in it will not prove anything. But, if you have no choice, and need the knowledge as a refresher or for the MCAT, then go for it.

As for your second question, you can other courses during the glide year. Biochem and physiology are helpful for the MCAT from the practice test I've attempted, but definitely not required.

I need to take Bio I & II and Orgo I & II to complete my pre-reqs. However, I have a C in gen chem 2 and As in all my other classes.

1) Will it be okay if I repeat gen chem 2 by taking it online through UNE?

2) For classes beyond pre-reqs, is it necessary to have them completed before applying? Or can they be completed during the glide year? Also, how important are they for the MCAT?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Last edited:
Are you re-taking G-Chem II with the intent of raising your science GPA (or did you take it a long time ago)? I think you should cut your loses and move on and ace organic chemistry. Re-taking may be a waste of time (unless you need to knowledge for the MCAT or are applying to osteopathic schools).

Here is my situation: I took G-Chem II (after AP chem, which placed me out of G-Chem I), in 2002 and received a C. I plan to re-take through UNE online because I do not have enough of a grasp of the material to tackle it comfortably on the MCAT. Also, I cannot find a school that offers it in the evening over summer in the Bay Area (I have taken all my other chem classes).

I think in your case that repeating a class that you already took in a standard classroom, online is a tad bit of a waste. The classes are viewed to be inferior so getting an A in it will not prove anything. But, if you have no choice, and need the knowledge as a refresher or for the MCAT, then go for it.

As for your second question, you can other courses during the glide year. Biochem and physiology are helpful for the MCAT from the practice test I've attempted, but definitely not required.

Thanks mspeedwagon for your reply. I really appreciate it. I want to retake it mostly because it will give a bump to my gpa for Osteopathic schools. My sGPA (AMCAS) is at this point around 3.69-3.7 (without biology and orgo). I am trying to review gen chem for orgo on my own. However, for osteo schools I also need to count my engineering classes, where most of my grades are good but I have a B here and there ( I find it very weird that AACOMAS doesn't count math as a part of science, but considers engineering).
Will allopathic schools look down upon it? I guess the other point you mentioned is partly true too. I feel taking the class will help me make sure all the basics are in order before I tackle orgo.
Thanks again.

The general sentiment is going to be not to take a class you took in a classroom online unless you have a compelling reason (based on your explanation before I'd argue the reason is not compelling). The previous poster can way in as well about online classes being frowned upon. I'm not sure my reason is compelling enough, but I want to stay on track to start medical school before my 30th birthday (if possible).

3.7 is definitely good enough for osteopathic schools (well above the average). The average for allopathic is 3.6, so you're a bit above that at the moment as well. As far as taking general chemistry for review for organic, it's a waste of time. There are a few topics you have to understand well (chemistry II over again is overkill). I'd work on the MCAT instead.

I'll give you a sense of what you need to know for organic from general chemistry and that may help you with your review (this is off the top of my head): acids and bases (why are things acidic and basic), period trends, polarity, molecular orbital theory and basic thermodynamics and resonance (really, really know resonance).

Thanks mspeedwagon for your reply. I really appreciate it. I want to retake it mostly because it will give a bump to my gpa for Osteopathic schools. My sGPA (AMCAS) is at this point around 3.69-3.7 (without biology and orgo). I am trying to review gen chem for orgo on my own. However, for osteo schools I also need to count my engineering classes, where most of my grades are good but I have a B here and there ( I find it very weird that AACOMAS doesn't count math as a part of science, but considers engineering).
Will allopathic schools look down upon it? I guess the other point you mentioned is partly true too. I feel taking the class will help me make sure all the basics are in order before I tackle orgo.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
To finish the prereqs, I need gen chem II and Ochem I and II (I took Ochem I before, but it was a quarter rather than a semester course). Gen chem I, the 1 year of bio, and the 1 year of physics were all taken at 4-year schools. However, the last one was taken in 1996. I'm thinking of taking the remaining 3 classes at UNE. I would think that it won't hurt me too much because a good chunk of the prereqs were taken at 4-yr schools. What do you think?

To finish the prereqs, I need gen chem II and Ochem I and II (I took Ochem I before, but it was a quarter rather than a semester course). Gen chem I, the 1 year of bio, and the 1 year of physics were all taken at 4-year schools. However, the last one was taken in 1996. I'm thinking of taking the remaining 3 classes at UNE. I would think that it won't hurt me too much because a good chunk of the prereqs were taken at 4-yr schools. What do you think?

Here's what will happen. In your interview they will ask why you took that route and you better have a damn good answer. Either way, they'll see it as a red flag because your other classes are very old and distance classes are unproven. My story is different, but as someone who took the CC college route with great grades and a great MCAT but only one MD acceptance to date, trust me, they care. In my interviews I could see it on their faces when they would get to questions about my coursework.

Like you said your other work was at a four year, but that says little about your ability now. If you're going to do the work to get in to med school, do not take a gamble like that. Of the 42,269 applicant for the school year starting in 2009, 18,390 matriculated. The acceptance rate just decreases with age, too. Most of those who were not accepted are not bad students, their just not exceptional, which is what you have to be.

Taking Gen Chem II at a four year and getting an A should be the first step in your path. Craft out a plan, but don't get too emotionally invested in this until you can accomplish that.

edit- for what it's worth, I'm taking biochem through UNE right now, simply because its a prerequisite where I've already been accepted and because it'll be a good head start (or catch-up, actually). It's a fine class, but you must be seriously self-motivated and intrinsically interested in the subject matter. As in, do you wikipedia the names of compounds you read on the cereal box to see exactly what they're doing?

You might want to check on the timeline for accepted pre-req courses. A lot of schools will not accept courses that are over 10 years old. I wouldnt recommend taking more than one or two total distance courses anyway, regardless of where or for what reason. CC would be 100 times better than distance.

... regardless of where or for what reason. CC would be 100 times better than distance.

It would be nice to have this statement validated by someone taking all their recent pre-reqs through distance classes.

... but you(OP) probably won't find them... because they don't exist. At least, I don't remember ever reading about one on SDN. That should count for something, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
It would be nice to have this statement validated by someone taking all their recent pre-reqs through distance classes.

... but you(OP) probably won't find them... because they don't exist. At least, I don't remember ever reading about one on SDN. That should count for something, right?

This is a good post. I mean, has anyone ever known anyone who did their pre-reqs online or "distance" ? I did most of my pre-reqs at CC and was fine, but I only had the biochem as distance on my app. Just remember the pre-reqs require labs. Tough with distance courses.

I think people are so strongly advised not to do this that none exist. I know a lot of people that have taken a handful of classes virtually. Definitely no more than three or four. It would be an interesting experiment to see if someone with a high GPA with all distance classes and a reasonable MCAT has a shot.

This is a good post. I mean, has anyone ever known anyone who did their pre-reqs online or "distance" ? I did most of my pre-reqs at CC and was fine, but I only had the biochem as distance on my app. Just remember the pre-reqs require labs. Tough with distance courses.

Yeah, it's probably not the best idea to finish my prereqs at UNE. I thought maybe the distance classes might be ok because they're offered by a medical school.

As a potential applicant to UNE, and having already completed a degree and all of the other pre-reqs except orgo 1 and biochem, do you think it would be a major disadvantage to do those virtual classes through UNE? It would definitely benefit me by allowing me to continue working and not wait for those courses to be offered at the nearest university. Thoughts?

I believe it depends on the school. For example, during my application cycle, I emailed Johns Hopkins about the UNE biochem course. They responded that online courses are not accepted.

Since this is an old thread where I said I'd take classes at UNE virtually, after a lot of research I decided not to b/c it seemed some places really, really didn't want any pre-req classes virtually (except english/math). Unless you are applying only to DO programs, I'd not recommend it.

As a potential applicant to UNE, and having already completed a degree and all of the other pre-reqs except orgo 1 and biochem, do you think it would be a major disadvantage to do those virtual classes through UNE? It would definitely benefit me by allowing me to continue working and not wait for those courses to be offered at the nearest university. Thoughts?

I'm only interested in applying DO, and specifically only interested in applying to UNE, being that I'm a native to Maine, and would prefer to stay in Maine. When I went there for a campus visit, when of the admissions officers encouraged me to look into the distances courses, since I was a non-trad. I figured that I definitely will take the medical biochem course w/ them, but I suppose my concern is the Orgo 1. I've read positive reviews from other SDN'ers about the Orgo 1 class online, I like the fact that it's tailored to prepare pre-health professions students, and it would allow me to take the mcat sooner. So, I suppose that's my dilemma...take it at a university and wait another year to apply, or take it online through the school I wish to attend.

Just curious...
There are many courses offered online at my university. I've taken two (not pre-reqs) and noticed on my transcript that it didn't specify that it was online. It has a different section number than traditional courses, but unless the medical school is familiar with the different section numbers, there really isn't any way to tell that it was taken online. (or is there?)
Why are people concerned about taking pre-reqs online? Do some universities specify that courses were completed online?

Hello everyone, I don't often post, but I need help and I need advice. I am taking the physics course online right now from UNE, and I am trying to finish it fast to be honest, it is a life or death situation for me because I am starting pharmacy school in spring after being suspended due to issues with my undergrad coursework that did not transfer (LONG STORY, i did not get caught cheating or anything). I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice or tips on how they finished the course, and how hard the midterm and final were. Furthermore, I have been told by some people that biochem and physics for UNE has quizlets out there that have answers to the final and midterm, and practice questions and cards for practice? I am just trying to verify that accuracy. I am not trying to gain sympathy or pity, but I am just trying to finish with a passing grade within the next 2 weeks. I am about 45% through the class, and because I am under constraints from my grad program to get them a grade, I am under a lot of pressure. I am struggling to function as a result, so any advice or tips from those who have taken the class would be greatly appreciated.

I might be the odd ball here.. but I took all my science pre-reqs at a CC, and biochem from UNE. I have a decade old nontraditional degree. The UNE biochem course was good quality, the prof was available for questions and replied quickly, my group even had a little online study group. I took it while studying for the MCAT. My prof was also one of my letters for apps.

I only applied to 6 schools, got 3 interviews, 1 acceptance, one waitlist (which I rejected for my acceptance to my preferred school). I’m currently prepping for USMLE Step 1, and MS3.

Chart your own course, have a reason for it, and go get that MD! Best of luck to you!

Last edited: