UNE Supplemental Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ksmith816

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how to go about answering this or have more info about it? "UNE CDM's 4th year curriculum requires 3 separate 12-week rotations in underserved rural northern New England, likely requiring you to live away from the Portland area for 3 months at a time. Discuss strategies you would employ to succeed within this externship requirement." I saw a similar thread but im still having some trouble with it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Although I cannot give you an exact answer because that would kinda be cheating, you need to be able to address the differences between rural and urban dental care. How you answer it is up to you because it's YOUR personal statement/essay.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you honestly asking random people on an internet forum how you should answer your secondary essays? Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought it was a fair question. Just trying to gain a sense of what angle to take when answering it.

Reactions: 1 users
It's purposely vague. Just answer it how you interpret it. I personally didn't answer it like @redhotchiligochu did at all.
Well, I went into more detail than that and looking back, I might have answered the question weirdly. But frankly I'm not a huge fan of threads asking how to answer a PERSONAL statement question because everyone, like you said, is going to have a different interpretation of it.

Are you honestly asking random people on an internet forum how you should answer your secondary essays? Good luck.
I wasn't asking for an answer just about how other people went about it. I personally was thinking along the lines of redhotchiligotchu response but hey figured it couldn't hurt to see what other people were thinking. I also didn't say " hey answer this for me". I'm a person who likes to hear input from other people and discuss. That being said, I wasn't on here to get someones full answer but more so discuss ways on how to go about it. Thanks for the luck though.

If this was me, I would talk about how I am flexible, adaptable, and comfortable with moving and changing locations frequently.

If this was me, I would talk about how I am flexible, adaptable, and comfortable with moving and changing locations frequently.
Thanks. There more I talk to pepole, the more that I'm getting a similar response to yours!

Last edited:
I think there is more to this question. Since you will not be the first class to do this externship, why not reach out to the D4's during third year and ask them about their experience. How did the 3 months go, what would they have done better, and how would they prepare? Reinventing the wheel is an interesting job, but experience counts a great deal, and you are asked to answer a question without much background. Reaching out to the D4's is a way of demonstrating long term preparation.

I think there is more to this question. Since you will not be the first class to do this externship, why not reach out to the D4's during third year and ask them about their experience. How did the 3 months go, what would they have done better, and how would they prepare? Reinventing the wheel is an interesting job, but experience counts a great deal, and you are asked to answer a question without much background. Reaching out to the D4's is a way of demonstrating long term preparation.
I think this school's so new that they don't have D4's yet, at least I don't think. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

How do they like it?
D4 really loves it. She was obviously worried when she first started because of the uncertainty behind a new program, but that went away. The D2 is mostly happy. Her dream school was Tufts and she received an acceptance there after she had already put down a deposit at UNE. She didn't want to lose the deposit so she stayed, but she said in the back of her mind is always a "what if".

Both told me that D1 year (and D2) are EXTREMELY heavy on studying. My D2 friend would message me all of the time last year about how crazy stressed she is with the amount of studying. I didn't really get that vibe from the people that I talked to at LECOM and MWU AZ though. I'm not sure why they seemed super stressed out at UNE over studying.

D4 really loves it. She was obviously worried when she first started because of the uncertainty behind a new program, but that went away. The D2 is mostly happy. Her dream school was Tufts and she received an acceptance there after she had already put down a deposit at UNE. She didn't want to lose the deposit so she stayed, but she said in the back of her mind is always a "what if".

Both told me that D1 year (and D2) are EXTREMELY heavy on studying. My D2 friend would message me all of the time last year about how crazy stressed she is with the amount of studying. I didn't really get that vibe from the people that I talked to at LECOM and MWU AZ though. I'm not sure why they seemed super stressed out at UNE over studying.
Awesome thanks for the good info! Hopefully I'll get an interview so I can see for myself.

This is great info thanks!

I'm starting as a D1 next month. I'll be sure to post how the program/cirriculum and everything is. My roomates are D3s and D4s and they said they really like the school. Getting anxious now!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm starting as a D1 next month. I'll be sure to post how the program/cirriculum and everything is. My roomates are D3s and D4s and they said they really like the school. Getting anxious now!
Congrats! I'd love to hear an update. Good luck!!:)

There is definitely a D4 class. We had faculty from UNE observing a CDCA exam. They were there to see how the exam is administered and the logistics so that when it is given at their school they have a good idea how to set things up. Again, long term preparation is a life long skill.