UNECOM Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I had an interview at UNECOM on 10/16 and will give an overview of the experience.

I arrived at 12:00pm and joined the 10-12 other students who were interviewing with me. We were offered free access to the cafeteria area and waited to begin. We attended a 45 minute meeting. During, we were introduced to several 1st and 2nd year students (6-8) who each gave a brief summary of their background. The new dean, Dr. John Gimpel presented the college of medicine and it's focus on putting the patient first. Then a presentation on the curriculum and student life was given by a 2nd year student.

After, we were called individually to an interview while waiting again in the cafeteria area with access to free lunch.

The interviews were (all I think) conducted by 2 faculty and one student.

I entered the interview room and was immediately put at ease by the nice vibes that always come out of UNECOM. This school has a reputation for being especially nice, and my interviewers really lived up to it. Having been to a few other interviews, I appreciate the interviewers having already completely read through my application, letters and secondaries. That's a lot of work but I think applicants deserve this. My interviewers asked me questions that revealed they had read all my materials and were trying to get to know me. This is how it should be, but it's not always how it is. After each answer I gave, the interviewer who asked the question thanked me for my answer. I appreciated that; it made me feel more comfortable.

Each asked me a question in turn until we had gone around the room 3 times or so. They asked if I had questions and I asked a few which led to a short discussion which was nice to add to the question/answer format that preceded.

After the interview, small groups were taken on a tour of campus at their convenience. Campus is small and includes a very small library, an impressive recreation center with pool, racquetball court, weights, cardio machines, etc - and a few other buildings.

The other interviewees were mostly female. There were no minorities that I remember. In fact I think I saw 4 non-white people the entire 4 days I was in New Hampshire/Maine. A little different than what I'm used to.

New Hampshire and Maine were beautiful, but the day of the interview it rained. The school is located right next to the ocean, and sitting in the library studying you can see out into the harbor. Pretty damn ballzy if you ask me, building your campus right on the rocky Maine coast, but they're modest about it and don't flaunt :)

Overall great experience and great trip to New England!

Good wishes to the other interviewees who were interesting and open about their interview experiences.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a quick question for students of UNECOM or other premeds more informed than myself. Is Dean Kelley still at UNE? A few other posts on this thread have mentioned that there was a change and the previous post mentioned Dean John Gimpel. I interviewed on 10/14 and they said that Dean Kelley wasn't available to speak to us because she had to step out of the office for a few days. Does anyone know if this new Dean has replaced Dean Kelley or just is another faculty member.

Members don't see this ad :)
Neon, you lack a bit of clarity for the question at hand.

Dean Kelley is Dean of Students and heads the RSAS office.
James Gaffney is in charge of admissions.
Dean Gimpel is the new Dean of the COM and replaces the temporary Dean Cawley (Dr. Jacqueline Cawley, not to be confused with her husband the pathologist who teaches at UNE).

Most college/university types have several different Deans heading different departments.

Thanks ShyRem for clarifying that for me.

So for the question concerning having contact with any UNECOM students, faculty, etc.....if we haven't had do you think it would better to leave it blank or just say I haven't had any (in an eloquent fashion of course)

I think it's important to tell the truth if you haven't had any contact with them but definitely write it in eloquent terms. I wouldn't leave it blank but that's just my two sense for what it's worth.

So for the question concerning having contact with any UNECOM students, faculty, etc.....if we haven't had do you think it would better to leave it blank or just say I haven't had any (in an eloquent fashion of course)

If you've chatted with ShyRem or any other UNECOM students on SDN before then that will count as contact with a UNECOM student.:)

You are correct, Punk. HOWEVER: You don't *have* to have contact with a UNE student. They just want to know. It's not a "you must or you won't get in" type of question-- they want to know if your views have been tainted one way or another.

I saw on the interview invite thread that someone got an interview invite today. I wonder if this means the admissions committee has met!! I suppose it's time to start stalking the mailman.:D

I know UNE told us at interviews that our decision would come by snail mail but yesterday I got an email from them and my heart jumped out of my chest. I thought it was the moment of truth and opened the email and.....it was an email about leadership opportunities at UNE. Talk about shattering my hopes before I even get a decision.

I know UNE told us at interviews that our decision would come by snail mail but yesterday I got an email from them and my heart jumped out of my chest. I thought it was the moment of truth and opened the email and.....it was an email about leadership opportunities at UNE. Talk about shattering my hopes before I even get a decision.

Same here...I guess we will have to wait until next week! Let me know when you hear as I'll be away from my mailbox.

I promise you it's a snail mail letter. In a small envelope. One page. Flat. The bad ones look just the same on the outside as the good ones.

Members don't see this ad :)
Neon Goat touched upon a good point -- the diversity of UNECOM. I was wondering if any current students could describe the demographics of their class. I'm a person of color (Black), but am definitely used to being one of few, or sole, in an academic setting. I like UNECOM and have heard it's a great school but am not sure I would feel comfortable going there.

I went to an open house at another school (which I won't name) and was told that its adcom reviews applicants of color in comparison to other non-White students, instead of to the general applicant pool. I wonder if this is unique to that specific school. Regardless, I'm not sure what to think about that.

Oh well.

Does anyone know much about the MPH program? If accepted, I'm very interested in pursuing that on the side.

Congrats to all those who have been interviewed or will be interviewed soon.

We had several non-white folks in my class. Several black, some arabic. I don't specifically recall any asian folks in my class... but I tend not to think about the whole demographics thing. We were all students learning material together and we helped each other (that was a whole lot more important to me).

I have no idea what the admissions committee considers in the numbers category. Mainly they're looking for the right people. If you get an interview, you've passed the numbers screening. At the interview they look for the right personalities to make a good class.

I also didn't do the MPH program (I spent any extra time with my family), but people who did it liked the fact it was mostly if not all online. Said it really didn't take too much extra time.

Wish I could help you more. I encourage you to go to an interview if you get one. My ranked list of schools changed drastically from pre-interview to post-interview and some of what had been my top choices quickly went to last place after the interview. Some of my last choices pre-interview moved to the top post-interview. It's really something you have to experience at the school to see if it's for you. You can arrange to come a day early and sit in with current med students for the day and get a better feel for UNECOM.

For those who were invited to interview, how long did it take for you to get an invite after being complete? I've been complete since 9/24 and I'm really hoping to get an interview from UNECOM! Was the invite via e-mail or snail mail?

For those who were invited to interview, how long did it take for you to get an invite after being complete? I've been complete since 9/24 and I'm really hoping to get an interview from UNECOM! Was the invite via e-mail or snail mail?

It took me about 2 weeks to get an invite after I was complete and it came by email. Good Luck!

Ughhhhh has anyone heard back yet? this is killing me! i'm obsessively checking the mail...

Ughhhhh has anyone heard back yet? this is killing me! i'm obsessively checking the mail...

I interviewed Oct. 2nd, checking the mail frantically on a daily basis! They said we should hear by the end of October....

The mail just came and ... nada. I was hoping today was the day. Oh well, only 23 hours until the mail comes again!!

The mail just came and ... nada. I was hoping today was the day. Oh well, only 23 hours until the mail comes again!!

I wonder if they'll get back to us this week even...someone want to volunteer to call the office tomorrow?

I wonder if they'll get back to us this week even...someone want to volunteer to call the office tomorrow?

I was considering calling them today but they said we should know before the end of this month and technically they have 2 days before this imaginary deadline. But if we still haven't heard in November than I think it would be justified to call and see how much longer.

Long time reader, first time poster.

I, like others, broke down and e-mailed Lisa Lane last week. She responded back with:

"Hello [----] -- UNECOM's newly appointed dean has elected to also
appoint a new Committee on Admissions, which is still in its
developmental stages. As it appears right now, the committee will not
be making decisions on any applicant interviewed to date until early
November.

I realize that this delay may result in undue stress and frustration
but please rest assured that you will be notified as soon as the
committee reaches a decision on your candidacy."

So I guess that means some more waiting is in store. And I interviewed on 9/16 too (the first day) - this wait is killing me!

Long time reader, first time poster.

I, like others, broke down and e-mailed Lisa Lane last week. She responded back with:

"Hello [----] -- UNECOM's newly appointed dean has elected to also
appoint a new Committee on Admissions, which is still in its
developmental stages. As it appears right now, the committee will not
be making decisions on any applicant interviewed to date until early
November.

I realize that this delay may result in undue stress and frustration
but please rest assured that you will be notified as soon as the
committee reaches a decision on your candidacy."

So I guess that means some more waiting is in store. And I interviewed on 9/16 too (the first day) - this wait is killing me!

Thanks for sharing...at least now we won't be scratching our heads on Friday! :thumbup:

i'm still waiting on an interview invite/rejection. I have been complete for 2 months. Should I email/call about my status or just let it ride out? I don't want to pester them.

Thanks for the update ShoreDoc. You calmed my nerves and prevented me from beginning to hate my mailman :laugh:

i'm still waiting on an interview invite/rejection. I have been complete for 2 months. Should I email/call about my status or just let it ride out? I don't want to pester them.

I think it sounds like they have a lot going on in the admissions department so don't get down because you haven't heard from them. I think an email/call would be appropriate. Worst case scenario they tell you they haven't made a decision yet.

Haha, no problem. I started to freak out a little bit a few weeks ago when I saw that someone had been accepted this round; thankfully I later realized that it was someone from last year's alternate list. Here's to more waiting! (btw, Maine must be cold as all hell right about now. We're getting snow down here in Philadelphia...in October.)

despite the fact that we were told early november, i will still probably check the mail twice today and tomrorow... haha

Haha, no problem. I started to freak out a little bit a few weeks ago when I saw that someone had been accepted this round; thankfully I later realized that it was someone from last year's alternate list. Here's to more waiting! (btw, Maine must be cold as all hell right about now. We're getting snow down here in Philadelphia...in October.)

wow a new admissions comittee, that definitely clears things up, thanks shoredoc

despite the fact that we were told early november, i will still probably check the mail twice today and tomrorow... haha

I won't try to deter you, but if they are just forming the committee I would guess by the time they work through some applications and make decisions it may take a few weeks to actually receive anything in the mail. As in, once decisions are made it still probably takes a while to print all the letters and mail them out.

Hey everyone, I interviewed on 10/02 and like most have been stalking the mailman and compulsively checking every day. I just got an email from James Gaffney in response to my thank you email I sent after my interview. He told me that the committee is meeting at the end of this week, and letters should be sent out the beginning of next week. So, those of us who have been dying to hear, looks like we got a week before the decisions are mailed. Everyone hang tough and best of luck !!

Does anyone know much about the MPH program? If accepted, I'm very interested in pursuing that on the side.

Congrats to all those who have been interviewed or will be interviewed soon.

I'm currently enrolled as a certificate student in public health at UNECOM, and I could tell you a little bit about the MPH program as that's not too far off from what I'm doing.

The certificate is about a year-long, part-time program of the six "core" courses, which comes out to 18 credits. The MPH program could be crammed into a year and a half of full-time school, but most people who aren't in med school seem to stretch it out over two years, as 45 credits are required.

Most of the people who are taking the courses are, like me, not medical school students, but there are 3 or 4 in each of my classes who are doing the combined DO/MPH. From the few discussions I've had with them, most take 5 years to finish both degrees, and spread the 45 credits of MPH courses over three years starting with the second year of medical school. My understanding is that they stretch your third year clinicals out to allow you to finish up your MPH classes in that time, but don't quote me on that. I do know that med students have to figure out which classes they're taking very early on because the COM has to approve their taking on the extra coursework.

The classes themselves are online-only. You buy books, do assigned readings, and watch "lectures"--basically narrated, animated powerpoint presentations, which aren't too helpful IMHO--and the coursework usually involves posting on a messageboard once or twice and replying to your classmates a few times. There are fairly brief weekly homeworks for most classes, and occasional longer (5-8) page papers due as projects, usually 1 or 2 per class per semester. Sometimes you're assigned to a group to work collaboratively which is kinda messy to accomplish online, but has worked out ok for me. The level of work required is, I would say, pretty light for graduate-level studies.

Hope that info helps. Oh and the folks in the public health program's office are super helpful and very nice. Don't hesitate to contact them, they'll do their best to take care of you.

-Altruist.

I received the secondary today and have been staring at the screen wondering why I'd want to go there. At the moment, odds are not in its favor.

Positives:
+1 Systems based curriculum
+1 Third year rotations at one site
+1 OMM King

Negatives:
-2 Cold as hell
-1 Setting up rotations 4th year
-1 Small town
-1 can't see test after administration, only get the grade. (based off a ShyRem post)

Questions
1. How's the food? I think I can stomach the thought of freezing my ass off if there's an endless supply of clam chowder and crab/other seafood for cheap.
a)Do the toilets flush well?
b)Are the heaters big and powerful?

2. The positives can be found in many schools. What I'm struggling with is the first question. Why UNECOM in particular? What makes UNECOM stand out among the rest? The cold weather wouldn't be as big a deal if there was a big city nearby. I guess the small town location is what's really bothering me. The tuition is similar to AZCOM but AZCOM's near Phoenix and it's warm. I'm pretty much making up excuses to not fill out this secondary.

3. Is there a significant minority population at the school? In the surrounding areas? I ask because I'm Asian and don't want to stick out like a sore thumb.

Questions
1. How's the food? I think I can stomach the thought of freezing my ass off if there's an endless supply of clam chowder and crab/other seafood for cheap.

I love these questions, haha! Will someone please answer these ASAP?

I received the secondary today and have been staring at the screen wondering why I'd want to go there. At the moment, odds are not in its favor.

Positives:
+1 Systems based curriculum
+1 Third year rotations at one site
+1 OMM King

Negatives:
-2 Cold as hell
-1 Setting up rotations 4th year
-1 Small town
-1 can't see test after administration, only get the grade. (based off a ShyRem post)

Questions

2. The positives can be found in many schools. What I'm struggling with is the first question. Why UNECOM in particular? What makes UNECOM stand out among the rest? The cold weather wouldn't be as big a deal if there was a big city nearby. I guess the small town location is what's really bothering me. The tuition is similar to AZCOM but AZCOM's near Phoenix and it's warm. I'm pretty much making up excuses to not fill out this secondary.

3. Is there a significant minority population at the school? In the surrounding areas? I ask because I'm Asian and don't want to stick out like a sore thumb.

You sound like you are making excuses why NOT to like it. As far as being in a small town, Portland is not a "big city" but I think you can find what you need there and it's very close to Biddeford. The area is gorgeous, which is a huge draw for me. Biddeford pool would be a super cute area to live in, right on the coast! The school itself is warm and friendly, modern facilities and very open (lots of windows)! The food...I only experienced the cafe in Alfond, but it was fine. What you'd expect of a school cafe I suppose, maybe slightly better. I don't think you will find "cheap" seafood, but perhaps cheaper than we are accustomed to? When looking up places to take my student host for dinner I found quite a few pricey seafood restaurants, but a variety of other types of cuisine as well. I think you will find the population is fairly homogenous, depending on where you are from.

All I can say is, go check it out if you are curious. I thought the school was great! If you are going to be closed minded, however, why bother?

Portland is about as "big city" as Maine gets. And it has the feel of a city much larger than it's population. But it depends on what you consider "big city". Boston is a daytrip and the train is convenient.

It's not that cold. There are a few days where it's that knife-cutting wet cold wind, but in general it's really not that cold.

Toilets. Never heard anyone ask if that's a plus. FWIW, I never had one backup on me at UNE.

I really don't pay attention to racial profiles, and frankly had to pull out my yearbook to count how many minorities we had last year. Many were friends, but I just don't think about that. You'll be too darn busy to pay attention too. But if you're worried about it, don't be. You most likely won't be the only one.

Lobster right now is running $2.50/lb at the docks. If you're too lazy to go to the docks and cook your own at home, you can get 'em for $4.20/lb at walmart and they'll steam it for free. Mussels are under $2/lb. Large sea scallops on sale for $7/lb. Crab tends to be a little more expensive - it isn't harvested here. And you can always go fishing for stripers off the docks at UNE.

Apply. You might be surprised at how you feel about places once you visit them. I certainly was shocked at how my list changed from pre-interview to post-interview.

Portland is about as "big city" as Maine gets. And it has the feel of a city much larger than it's population. But it depends on what you consider "big city". Boston is a daytrip and the train is convenient.

It's not that cold. There are a few days where it's that knife-cutting wet cold wind, but in general it's really not that cold.

Toilets. Never heard anyone ask if that's a plus. FWIW, I never had one backup on me at UNE.

I really don't pay attention to racial profiles, and frankly had to pull out my yearbook to count how many minorities we had last year. Many were friends, but I just don't think about that. You'll be too darn busy to pay attention too. But if you're worried about it, don't be. You most likely won't be the only one.

Lobster right now is running $2.50/lb at the docks. If you're too lazy to go to the docks and cook your own at home, you can get 'em for $4.20/lb at walmart and they'll steam it for free. Mussels are under $2/lb. Large sea scallops on sale for $7/lb. Crab tends to be a little more expensive - it isn't harvested here. And you can always go fishing for stripers off the docks at UNE.

Apply. You might be surprised at how you feel about places once you visit them. I certainly was shocked at how my list changed from pre-interview to post-interview.

You've convinced me. I'm applying

Has anyone heard anything about an interview invite/rejection? I have been complete for about 1.5 months. I know there is a new admissions committee and things are slow, but this wait is killing me! UNECOM is definitely on the top of my list.

Anyone else going to be there this week to interview?

I'm super excited! My first interview!

just received an acceptance letter from UNECOM. interviewed 10/2.. good luck to everyone else who has interviewed!

just received an acceptance letter from UNECOM. interviewed 10/2.. good luck to everyone else who has interviewed!

Congrats on the acceptance! It's refreshing to see that the committee has finally met and has started handing out acceptances.

Hmmm...I'll check my mailbox tomorrow and see if my letter came! Thanks for the update!

My acceptance letter came today! Huzzah! Good luck to everyone!

Initially I was sure I would go to KCOM, but now I'm torn. Anyone else facing the same decision? And if so, what (if anything) have you decided and why?

thanks, Altruist! sorry, i'm a bit late in my reply:( is the MPH a general degree or can students choose a specific discipline (epid, biostats, health policy)?

still waiting on word from UNECOM. i've been complete since 10/25 so i guess i still have some time before i should call/freak out.

@ ILikeFood -- i feel you on the minority status (i'm Black) but then again, i'm kinda used to it at this point. but as i see it, medical school is medical school -- there's always a tradeoff ;)

thanks, Altruist! sorry, i'm a bit late in my reply:( is the MPH a general degree or can students choose a specific discipline (epid, biostats, health policy)?

still waiting on word from UNECOM. i've been complete since 10/25 so i guess i still have some time before i should call/freak out.

@ ILikeFood -- i feel you on the minority status (i'm Black) but then again, i'm kinda used to it at this point. but as i see it, medical school is medical school -- there's always a tradeoff ;)

The MPH is a general degree. The only way you can really customize your degree is in your practicum at the end of the program. From the public health program's website:
"This very convenient, flexible degree program, which is focused on practice and management, will provide students with the basic knowledge, skills and values to gain employment or get promoted in the burgeoning field of public health..."
http://www.une.edu/com/publichealth/master.asp

The schedule of classes for this year is available as a pdf at
http://www.une.edu/com/publichealth/pdf/gphcourseschedule0809.pdf

The latter reference includes contact information for Dianne Labbe, the program coordinator. She's wicked cool (she's got quite the Maine accent), and she's been very, very helpful to me. I'm sure she could either help you herself or direct you to the right info.

I'm waiting on being complete myself... my D.O. reference is taking a bit longer than I'd hoped. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.