UNECOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
New year, new talk here!

Members don't see this ad.

Is University of New England college of osteopathic medicine considered a good or top DO school?

Thanks!

its a good school but wayyy too expensive.

Members don't see this ad :)
UNE is a pretty good school...probably in the mid to upper tier of DO schools...but there are a lot of problems between the student body and the administration. I don't want to re-copy all the details, but I would suggest you take a look at UNE's 2010-11 thread...it list's a lot of the gripes current student's have with the school.

But besides the schools shortcomings, which I don't think are exclusive to UNE, it is a pretty good program.

someone should really divide that thread into individual components for each school-if possible. it just doesn't make sense to go through the entire thing if ur looking for a single school review(search funtion is kinda useless in this case).

-this is coming from someone who has gone through the entire thread several time in the past.

someone should really divide that thread into individual components for each school-if possible. it just doesn't make sense to go through the entire thing if ur looking for a single school review(search funtion is kinda useless in this case).

-this is coming from someone who has gone through the entire thread several time in the past.

That would be nearly impossible due to all the related comments and discussion interspersed in there. Ctrl+F my friend, it's not that bad.

Will probably be applying here!

What's the MCAT and GPA averages science and cum for this school...I cannot find it on their website at all??

i added this school to my list for this year despite the sticker price. i heard that housing is quite expensive around UNE, are there any on/close to campus grad resident apartments around the area like schools such as NSU, MWU both have

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks man, i actually checked that out before. i'm not really familiar with the area so would you know if the housing they talk about there, is close like in walking distance from campus. commuting each day during undergrad really sucks. don't want to do that in med school.

Housing prices aren't that bad compared to most of New England. You can rent a two bedroom apartment in Biddeford for around $750 a month, which is really do-able. Roommates obviously will make that even more do-able.

UNE is expensive, but when you actually compare it to other DO schools, many of the private one's come in close with similar tuition. The main gripe with students is the fact that the school Admin has stated that you should expect an annual increase of 6% in tuition every year...

thanks man, i actually checked that out before. i'm not really familiar with the area so would you know if the housing they talk about there, is close like in walking distance from campus. commuting each day during undergrad really sucks. don't want to do that in med school.

Unless you can get a spot with some roommates in one of the houses on Hills Beach road, which are expensive since they're right on the water, then there really isn't anything in walking distance. Commuting in Maine though is easy. There is no traffic and everything in Biddeford is within 5-10 minutes of each other. Although I've heard parking on campus can sometimes be a hassle since you have to compete with the undergrads.

But the houses on Hills Beach road aren't too bad if you have a few people living with you. Depending on how far down the road you are though can make for a pretty long walk. But it'll be a scenic one...you could always get a bike.

Last edited:

I'm from Oregon, so I think tman1820 has got me beat there. Thanks for the info tman. Do you know if that area is bike-friendly? That's how a lot of people here in Portland (Oregon) commute, so if that's a possibility it would be nice to know about.

i like the fact that unecom's class size is listed at around 120ish. compared to other private DO schools which average at about 250.

maybe that has something to do with the high tuition.

UNE's class is currently about 125, but it seems every year for the past few they float the idea of increasing it to 150...who knows when it will actually happen, but it seems like they're serious about doing it eventually. Still 150 is lower than the typical 250+...the only major concern about this is space in the lecture halls.

While UNE's average debt has been at the top of the list for awhile, I wouldn't be surprised if the Midwestern's overtake it, CCOM's tuition is over 50 grand this year (I believe) and when you combine that with metro Chicago's living expenses, it's hard to believe that going to school in Biddeford, Maine is more expensive....but somehow it is.

I just got my acceptance and am most concerned with finding a place to live. Do you know how your going about searching for a place to live and/or finding a roommate? Is there a facebook group for our class?

I just got my acceptance and am most concerned with finding a place to live. Do you know how your going about searching for a place to live and/or finding a roommate? Is there a facebook group for our class?

I am probably going to end up going this year sans roommate but I ended up finding my place on craigslist...but it did take a trip up to Biddeford ahead of time, and let's just say I'd advise everyone to do the same. Some of the apartments on there are dumps and really are disgusting. I ended up scoring a nice place for a decent price, but it was the last place I looked at and there was a lot of competition for it...I think I won the landlord over when I told her living off of loan money = guaranteed rent money. But I do advise taking a trip up there...there is a realtor who manages a few properties who I was supposed to meet with but she ended up being out of town so I didn't go with any of her places. But if you meet up with her, a lot of her properties seemed kind of decent from the photos she sent me. Her name is Michele. Also there is a one bedroom on St. Mary's street that I looked at that was pretty nice, so if you see that one on there, that's a pretty decent one.

Also, check out the UNECOM 2015 facebook page. There are plenty of people on there looking for roomies, and a few upperclassman trying to pawn off their spots/leases...so plenty of opportunity. I could see competition for housing heating up as more med students start looking and the undergrads start coming back to town, so I would think it would be worth heading up there sooner rather than later.

Hi everyone,
I will be an MS2 at UNECOM and am working with a new program that the school is offering this summer for all prospective medical students. I thought some of you may be interested so I offered to post the official statement on here. Any questions, please feel free to contact the office. I can also answer any questions related or unrelated to this program!

Attention prospective medical students! The University of New England’s College of Osteopathic Medicine is offering weekly summer informational sessions where you will have the opportunity to tour facilities, interact with current students, and meet one on one with faculty or administration to receive feedback on your current or future application. Sessions will take place every Friday between June 24 and August 19, excluding August 5. Please contact the College of Medicine Office of Constituent Services for more information.
[email protected] or (207) 602-2329

Hi everyone,
I will be an MS2 at UNECOM and am working with a new program that the school is offering this summer for all prospective medical students. I thought some of you may be interested so I offered to post the official statement on here. Any questions, please feel free to contact the office. I can also answer any questions related or unrelated to this program!

Attention prospective medical students! The University of New England’s College of Osteopathic Medicine is offering weekly summer informational sessions where you will have the opportunity to tour facilities, interact with current students, and meet one on one with faculty or administration to receive feedback on your current or future application. Sessions will take place every Friday between June 24 and August 19, excluding August 5. Please contact the College of Medicine Office of Constituent Services for more information.
[email protected] or (207) 602-2329

Will you be meeting with prospective students yourself?

Also, is there a 'dress code' for the informational sessions? I RSVPed to the session this Friday (June 24th) and I forgot to ask the woman who registered me. I was planning on wearing a nice dress, but if it'll be a little more formal than that I'd like to know :)

Hope to see you there!

I will be there meeting with prospective students as well as two other MSIIs. In regards to dress code, this is technically informal, but you will be meeting with us, faculty, and potentially the Dean. I think a nice dress will be perfect. As long as you look professional, you will be all set!

Is anyone still looking for a roommate? If you are interested I have an apartment in downtown Biddeford that was recently renovated, exposed brick. There are other med students in the building. I have pics if you are interested.

@font-face { font-family: "Times New Roman"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; } Hi,
I was looking for some advice from someone who knows more about UNECOM and the possibility of them accepting me. I had attended UNE for 2 years undergrad in Medical Biology (pre-med) I did great my first year, my second year I went through some personal things and I passed as well as I could. I then transferred to another school and switched my major to psychology, which I excelled in. I graduated with my BA in 2007. I then went on to get my masters in Marriage and Family Therapy and graduated in 2010. I had initially wanted to go further in psychology, but lately I have had a renewed love and passion for medicine, specifically osteopathic medicine. I am so interested and craving for more knowledge and information than I had been in years. I had not had this passion or drive since I was in my first year at UNE. I left UNE because it was too small for me and at that time, I really needed a bigger school. I now appreciate the small school and I want to return. I feel that I am more ready than I was ever before. I have everything I want in life right now and I am mature and determined.

My question is what are the chances that I would get in? I have not taken the MCAT yet, but I will be soon and I was wondering if you could give me some feedback on the best MCAT prep.

I remember that when I was at UNE and working with some of the med students, they told me about how they accepted some students that came in through an alternative admission process. I recall that they accepted someone who had masters in English or history. How does that process work and do they still have that available?

Do they want you to take some courses and pass them before they would accept you?

All I know is that I really want to per sure my initial dream and I know this is the time because I have the passion and drive to do so.

Can anyone please give me some insight or advice?
Thanks! :)

Does UNECOM give out secondaries earlier to people from certain regions? I've started receiving secondaries from other schools I've applied to, but not UNECOM, even though someone from MI already received a secondary from UNECOM.

thanks.

Does UNECOM give out secondaries earlier to people from certain regions? I've started receiving secondaries from other schools I've applied to, but not UNECOM, even though someone from MI already received a secondary from UNECOM.

thanks.

I'm from OR and received my secondary on 7/1, but as a reference, I had my primary (and all necessary documents) submitted to AACOMAS 6/1 and they released my primaries to schools on 6/23. Hope this helps answer your question.

I'm from OR and received my secondary on 7/1, but as a reference, I had my primary (and all necessary documents) submitted to AACOMAS 6/1 and they released my primaries to schools on 6/23. Hope this helps answer your question.

Your release schedule is the same as mine. I've already received a fair amount of secondaries from other schools...just not UNECOM. Should I contact them about this? I was actually able to input my info on their secondary app website and get my own form to fill and submit. I just haven't gotten an email from them with the pdf instructions. I don't want to seem too pushy if I contact them too early, but I would like a head start if possible. Any advice?

Your release schedule is the same as mine. I've already received a fair amount of secondaries from other schools...just not UNECOM. Should I contact them about this? I was actually able to input my info on their secondary app website and get my own form to fill and submit. I just haven't gotten an email from them with the pdf instructions. I don't want to seem too pushy if I contact them too early, but I would like a head start if possible. Any advice?

I submitted my AACOMAS application as soon as I could and I also have not received a secondary from UNECOM. I'm a Texas resident.

I'm in the same boat as you... I live in CT. Submitted June 1st, and have received a few supplementals but not UNECOM's. I dunno what's up with their system... Let me know when you get yours.

Does anyone have any idea how to pay the supplemental application fee for UNECOM? I submitted my DO app last week but didn't pay the fee yet... Did people just call into Student Accts?

I submitted my AACOMAS application as soon as I could and I also have not received a secondary from UNECOM. I'm a Texas resident.

I'm in the same boat as you... I live in CT. Submitted June 1st, and have received a few supplementals but not UNECOM's. I dunno what's up with their system... Let me know when you get yours.

Any news on getting that secondary yet? I still haven't gotten mine. Do you guys think it's been sufficient time to contact them about this?

Does anyone have any idea how to pay the supplemental application fee for UNECOM? I submitted my DO app last week but didn't pay the fee yet... Did people just call into Student Accts?

I paid mine as I submitted, so maybe try through their website first, then if you can't pay that way maybe call them.

Still no secondary from UNECOM. Does everyone get it or do they screen?

I received mine relatively quick after my application was released; and that was 2 weeks ago. I think you should give them a call.
I still haven't finished my secondary from UNECOM yet, but will finish it by tomorrow for sure.

I called UNECOM and they told me they send supplementary apps to qualified applicants. The GPA requirements were pretty damn lenient. The lady I spoke to said they sent out approximately 2,700 secondaries to 3,300 applicants for the 2014 class, so the majority of applicants will get one.

I called UNECOM and they told me they send supplementary apps to qualified applicants. The GPA requirements were pretty damn lenient. The lady I spoke to said they sent out approximately 2,700 secondaries to 3,300 applicants for the 2014 class, so the majority of applicants will get one.

Dang....that's a lot of applicants! More competition eh? :laugh:
Still, that's about 600 applicants without secondary; and that's a big number IMO

Are all the secondary questions required?

For example, I don't have any gaps in employment or education, and I didn't have any academic difficulties worth mentioning. I'd rather just leave these questions blank.

For the why UNECOM, what do you guys think about this one? Normally I find out a lot about a school when I interview and that's when I know why I like that school.

Are all the secondary questions required?

For example, I don't have any gaps in employment or education, and I didn't have any academic difficulties worth mentioning. I'd rather just leave these questions blank.

For the why UNECOM, what do you guys think about this one? Normally I find out a lot about a school when I interview and that's when I know why I like that school.

Why are u applying to UNECOM then? What attracts u to the school? Have u checked out their website? Anything that perks ur interest there? I wouldn't apply to schools that I don't wanna spend the next 4yrs at.
Also IMH don't ever leave a question blank. It makes it look like u didn't even try to answer the question or forgot it completely. If u had no difficulties or no gaps then say that. However don't finish off there but spin the answer to mention why they should accept u and why u will be a good doc; like having no gaps show ur determination and whatnot.

UNE is my top choice. I'm a NH resident and had a cGPA 3.5 as an undergrad and currently 3.7 as a graduate in biomedical science. I took the mcat in April and got a 22. I re-took the Mcat but haven't gotten my scores back yet. Do I have a chance at getting into UNE?

UNE is my top choice. I'm a NH resident and had a cGPA 3.5 as an undergrad and currently 3.7 as a graduate in biomedical science. I took the mcat in April and got a 22. I re-took the Mcat but haven't gotten my scores back yet. Do I have a chance at getting into UNE?

UNECOM looks at the entire application. From face value, I'd say that these are acceptable numbers.

anybody know what the word limit is on the essay questions?

Why are u applying to UNECOM then? What attracts u to the school? Have u checked out their website? Anything that perks ur interest there? I wouldn't apply to schools that I don't wanna spend the next 4yrs at.
Also IMH don't ever leave a question blank. It makes it look like u didn't even try to answer the question or forgot it completely. If u had no difficulties or no gaps then say that. However don't finish off there but spin the answer to mention why they should accept u and why u will be a good doc; like having no gaps show ur determination and whatnot.

I can understand taking the shotgun approach to school applications. There are a couple schools that I basically randomly picked to apply to. I just read over their website and studentdoctor.net forum threads and talked about the things I found that I like. UNE was actually one of these random schools but after finding out more about the school and the area, it may be my first choice.

I wholeheartedly agree with not leaving any essay blank. If I don't have anything to say, then I tell them why I don't have anything to say and why that makes me awesome.

do you mind posting the secondary questions, it would be really helpful. thanks!

Essays:

(each with a 2,000 keystroke – including spaces – limit)

1. Describe your particular interest in attending the UNE-COM and any contact you have had with UNE-COM students, alumni, faculty or clinicians, admissions/student affairs staff members, etc. How did these interactions influence your decision to apply?

2. Please explain any gaps in education or employment. Indicate any changes/additions in education, employment, experiences, research, etc. since submitting your AACOMAS application.

3. Please explain any academic difficulties you encountered during your academic career. What insight or knowledge have you gained from these experiences that you will bring to your studies at UNE-COM?

4. Describe how you see the role of physicians in society (outside the direct practice of medicine). What experiences have you had that demonstrate your readiness to meet these future role expectations?

Does anyone know if UNECOM does any of its rotations at Maine Medical Center - or any other level one trauma centers?

There used to be a limited number of spots at MMC, but now that Tufts has partnered with MMC I don't know what happened to those.

For what it's worth, I did my rotations in community hospitals with only one residency program. I did surgery unopposed - which means I was first assist on EVERYTHING. I didn't see cardiothoracic surgery, but I was first assist on total hips, spinal surgery, big abdominals, etc. So I did FAR less watching and "oh, please let me just get a fingertip on a retractor!!" and much more hands on, hands IN surgery. I chose to do my ER in Cleveland as a fourth year.

Now as a resident, I'm doing IM and we rotate at two level 1 trauma centers. We do five ICU months in my program - yeah, five ICU months at a level 1 center. I was really no farther behind any of my fellow residents who did medical student rotations at level 1 centers.

Med student rotations are what you make of them. Don't get hung up on "level 1 trauma center" - you may end up watching a lot and doing very little.