Unethical situations in a meaningful activity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrCo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
During one of my volunteering stents in the ED a physician allowed me to assist in a facial reconstruction of a patient who was a victim of an animal attack. In hindsight it was one of the most meaningful activities that occurred during this time. Is it wise to be describing an unethical situation such as this or should I go with another experience?

BrCo

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting situation. What exactly were you called on to do? How did you come to the conclusion that it was unethical?

Members don't see this ad :)
During one of my volunteering stents in the ED a physician allowed me to assist in a facial reconstruction of a patient who was a victim of an animal attack. In hindsight it was one of the most meaningful activities that occurred during this time. Is it wise to be describing an unethical situation such as this or should I go with another experience?

BrCo
Give me a break. You were assisting. This isn't "unethical".

Reactions: 1 users
So I apologize if this situation is not unethical. I assumed non medical personnel weren't allowed to assist in procedures. The physician stitched the underlying tissue while I followed behind him, stitching the skin.

According to what @LizzyM said, you should be okay with it assuming that this took place on US soil (which I'm assuming you did since you were volunteering in the ED). In fact, people on here will probably high five you for having such an experience. It's extremely rare to ever be able to touch the patient. When I volunteered in the ED, I couldn't even shake the patient's hand! Good for you.

On the contrary, if this took place during a medical mission trip, then you'd better forget about ever mentioning it.

Reactions: 1 user
During one of my volunteering stents in the ED a physician allowed me to assist in a facial reconstruction of a patient who was a victim of an animal attack. In hindsight it was one of the most meaningful activities that occurred during this time. Is it wise to be describing an unethical situation such as this or should I go with another experience?BrCo

So I apologize if this situation is not unethical. I assumed non medical personnel weren't allowed to assist in procedures. The physician stitched the underlying tissue while I followed behind him, stitching the skin.

The physician allowed you to stitch the skin on a HUMAN patient's face? Seriously?!:nailbiting:

The physician allowed you to stitch the skin on a HUMAN patient's face? Seriously?!:nailbiting:

My father often recalls an old Irish physician in our community who would stitch a facial laceration and say dryly, "You may experience some cosmetic difficulties."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Play it safe, don't specify stitching. It brings up to many questions even though legally there are certain ways it is acceptable. You won't gain any points from it anyways. It is the personal growth, not the technical skills, that you are selling.

Reactions: 3 users
Play it safe, don't specify stitching. It brings up to many questions even though legally there are certain ways it is acceptable. You won't gain any points from it anyways. It is the personal growth, not the technical skills, that you are selling.

And to quote @LizzyM , she says that if you can smell the patient, it's clinical experience. I like to think of that literally. ADCOMs aren't looking for you to master any skills. They just want you to see the clinical environment, and that's it.

And then comes my own rule of thumb... If you have to ask in a forum, it's probably not a good idea. Say that you were in the room with the physician, but by all means leave out the stitching part.

Reactions: 1 user