Unexpected Job Benefit: The Unofficial Beers Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted77919

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 13 users
Hahah! I'm in a very similar boat. Here's to beer.

Reactions: 2 users
Beer here. Getcha cold beer here. Working 6a-3p on the 4th, but other than that... nope.

Mich Lime Ultra is the house blend here.

Members don't see this ad :)
yup. i have it off and drinking lots of beer.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I am actually off for a six day break for a long 4th of July weekend. Sadly, my mother in law is visiting during this break.

This has made me realize how lucky I am to work as many holidays as I do. In fact I might just see if I can pick up a shift for one of my colleagues.

In the meantime beer.

After a shift, or esp after a long stretch, I like to just be left alone to just vegetate. If this was a Job, I would be a world class vegetator.

My inlaws are great but after a long day, the last thing I want to do is entertain people, clean after them, small talk.

Is it just me?

Another unexpected job benefit; after a late night shift ends when no one's awake, driving home like a freakin' madman, blowing stop signs and ignoring lane dividers

Reactions: 3 users
Wait, I thought you said beer? Wtf is this Mich lime ultra bs?

I used to feel the same way until I moved to southwest Florida. Its hot down here, and its very refreshing. Corona is reliably skunky here; can't trust it.
If I were back in the NE, I'd be Yuengling-ing it all the way, or something similar. Not here. Not when the average daily temp is in the mid-90s.

Reactions: 1 user
I used to feel the same way until I moved to southwest Florida. Its hot down here, and its very refreshing. Corona is reliably skunky here; can't trust it.
If I were back in the NE, I'd be Yuengling-ing it all the way, or something similar. Not here. Not when the average daily temp is in the mid-90s.
I'm from Yuengling country and I wouldn't recommend that either.

Beer and weather should match, I agree.

If you like the citrus flavor, you could find a good session or ipa with much better overall flavor.

I'm not a beer snob, and I'm fine with people drinking whatever they like.

It's just that once you start drinking higher quality beer, you can't really go back.

Maybe you'd like Magic Hat #9.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/96/299/

Reactions: 3 users
I'm from Yuengling country and I wouldn't recommend that either.

Beer and weather should match, I agree.

If you like the citrus flavor, you could find a good session or ipa with much better overall flavor.

I'm not a beer snob, and I'm fine with people drinking whatever they like.

It's just that once you start drinking higher quality beer, you can't really go back.

Maybe you'd like Magic Hat #9.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/96/299/

The younger RustedFox loved Magic Hat #9 and IPAs. The older RustedFox, not so much.

There are 3-4 local "craft" breweries within a 10-minute drive of my place. Its the "thing" now. I can't stand any of them. At no point do I want to my beer to taste like I just walked into "Bath and Body Works".

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Geez you guys... Hot in Florida means gin and tonic.

Not a beer person, although I have been known to drink Guinness in Dublin.
And I'll be going in soon for shift 3 of 5 in a row.

If your in Tampa you need to at least try Cigar City Jai Alai IPA...

If you're recommending an IPA, you're a beer snob. I like Labatt Blue, Yuengling, Iron City, and Straub. Rolling Rock went to hell when they went from Latrobe to New Jersey. Also, I'll take a Rickard's or an Alexander Keith's. Going to hops until doomsday is a hipster brewer hole. If you are at 50 IBUs and higher, you can have it.

I won't ever criticize someone that wants a Coors Light or a Mich Lime Ultra. What you dig is what you dig. And, yes, I've had "good beer", too, and I'll drink that when I have it. But when people turn their noses up at Sam Adams, and New Belgium, then they just don't get it. Those aren't "big brewers", by definition.

And this is a great summer for shandys. Sam Adams Porch Rocker, Leinenkugel's whole slate of shandys, and Labatt Blue Light shandys are all looking (and tasting) good.

And, finally, Victory's Golden Monkey - be careful. Quite careful. Every edge is sharp - like a bowling ball.

Reactions: 1 users
So, the gods of beer got me for being a dick above. I had the biggest fireball in over a year on the kamado, and flash burned my hair, right eyebrow, and some of the left. VERY fortunately, I did not flash my right eye. I don't have a picture, but, trust me, I got burnt. Now, am Fat Tire x4 into it.

If you're recommending an IPA, you're a beer snob. I like Labatt Blue, Yuengling, Iron City, and Straub. Rolling Rock went to hell when they went from Latrobe to New Jersey. Also, I'll take a Rickard's or an Alexander Keith's. Going to hops until doomsday is a hipster brewer hole. If you are at 50 IBUs and higher, you can have it.

I won't ever criticize someone that wants a Coors Light or a Mich Lime Ultra. What you dig is what you dig. And, yes, I've had "good beer", too, and I'll drink that when I have it. But when people turn their noses up at Sam Adams, and New Belgium, then they just don't get it. Those aren't "big brewers", by definition.

And this is a great summer for shandys. Sam Adams Porch Rocker, Leinenkugel's whole slate of shandys, and Labatt Blue Light shandys are all looking (and tasting) good.

And, finally, Victory's Golden Monkey - be careful. Quite careful. Every edge is sharp - like a bowling ball.

Let's not get carried away...I love me a good IPA. I'm a big beer guy, but I wouldn't consider myself a beer snob. I think the only things I would make fun of someone drinking are mich ultra, natty lite and smirniff ice (and 4 loko, but that's for a different reason). I don't like Yuengling, but that's more of a "bad night in college" type thing. You want to throw down some silver bullet, get on with your bad self.

Let's not get carried away...I love me a good IPA. I'm a big beer guy, but I wouldn't consider myself a beer snob. I think the only things I would make fun of someone drinking are mich ultra, natty lite and smirniff ice (and 4 loko, but that's for a different reason). I don't like Yuengling, but that's more of a "bad night in college" type thing. You want to throw down some silver bullet, get on with your bad self.

Once you hit your mid-thirties, man. It changes.

I don't drink. Can I have a Diet Coke?

Since this is now the bizarre beers thread:

I've lived in the northeast, I've lived in the midwest, I've lived in Florida, and I've lived in the Caribbean. There is amazing regional variation between beers of the same type/make. I've never lived on the west coast; but maybe someday.

Corona in the NE is a crisp, cool, clean treat. Its rarely skunked. You open a Corona in the Caribbean or South Florida, and you have a 3/4 chance of drinking a skunky brew. Guaranteed skunk-roulette. Same with Heineken and other bottled pilsners. I'm pretty sure its the humidity. You want a clean, bottled, blonde down here? Coors/Miller/Mich lite (ultra)... those are safe bets.

Your radlers and shandys are great down here; but many of them aren't what you'd expect. Its not "half beer, half lemonade" the way the Germans meant it to be. Its "wheat beer with a fruity additive" and its too thick for the heat.

You drink a Newcastle Brown or a Guinness here, and you'd best be in a seriously climate-controlled environment. PROTip: Floridians have little idea how to use air conditioning responsibly. Just because its 96 outside does not mean it HAS to be 69 inside.

I will leave room for the next argument. This is fun.

I like how this thread is going.

As above, I don't really care what anyone likes.
Unless you tell me you have never had a drink or don't like it. I'm extremely suspicious of those types.

I get the ipa = beer snob feeling.
In many cases that is true.

Many IPAs go too far.

A personal fav is Bell's two hearted ale.
Good flavor, but not too bitter or overpowering.

Drinking a bud or something similar is fine.
It's just not my preference.

I like how this thread is going.

As above, I don't really care what anyone likes.
Unless you tell me you have never had a drink or don't like it. I'm extremely suspicious of those types.

I get the ipa = beer snob feeling.
In many cases that is true.

Many IPAs go too far.

A personal fav is Bell's two hearted ale.
Good flavor, but not too bitter or overpowering.

Drinking a bud or something similar is fine.
It's just not my preference.

MMMMmmmmmmmm.....

Skunking is mainly caused by UV light. You solve most of the skunky aspect by buying pilsner/lager beer in brown bottles or cans instead of clear bottles. Heineken tastes pretty bad in the US for one reason: the green bottles.

Buy the 12 pack corona in a cardboard case and it may taste marginally better.

US microbreweries make some fantastic beers, but light, drinkable beers are not typically their strong-suit. Nearly every microbrewery in town here has some sort of pilsner/lager but seldom are they as good as their hoppier/darker beers.

If you want a nice "golden" drinkable beer I would recommend the Hofbrau Original if you can find it in the brown 16.9 oz (.5L) German market bottles. They taste better than the 6pack fyi.

easily the best active thread right now.

I love a great hop bomb IPA, but there is something perfect about the lighter stuff when it's hot and humid. Narragansett Del's Shandy is a gift from above when it's 95 degrees and you've been mowing the yard all day.

I'm so over the letters "I", "P", and "A".

If you are a mustached hipster, that mustache makes your face 87% more punchable. (Not an original joke, but it deserves repeating)

Tried to swap INTO a Thanksgiving shift last year to avoid time w/ the in-laws and couldn't do it ... everyone else was doing the same thing. ;-/

And I drink cider. Mmm. Will have to wait until after my evening July 4th see-how-many-people-blow-off-their-fingers shift, though.

I'm so over the letters "I", "P", and "A".

If you are a mustached hipster, that mustache makes your face 87% more punchable. (Not an original joke, but it deserves repeating)

Where is all this IPA rage coming from? Can't gluten-eating, people wearing jeans, tennis shoes, short hair, a polo and non-ironic, well-groomed beards enjoy a hoppy beverage? Have the douches ruined it for everyone? Or wait, am I a douche and just don't know it........????

Where is all this IPA rage coming from? Can't gluten-eating, people wearing jeans, tennis shoes, short hair, a polo and non-ironic, well-groomed beards enjoy a hoppy beverage? Have the douches ruined it for everyone? Or wait, am I a douche and just don't know it........????

I doubt that most douches know that they are douches

My favorite beers are New Belgium, Abita, and Shiner Bock. The rest of you are drinking swill. :)

Overdose city today. 5 opioid overdoses before noon today, plus the usual stroke alerts, agitated deliriums, and other behavioral nonsense.

Eff that plaaaace.

Overdose city today. 5 opioid overdoses before noon today, plus the usual stroke alerts, agitated deliriums, and other behavioral nonsense.

Eff that plaaaace.
On the other hand, those ODs would have probably turned into burn unit cases if they hadn't OD'd. And narcan is easier to deal with than 3rd degree burns.

Is someone going around setting the OD patients on fire?
I think gutonc meant that, on the 4th, they set themselves on fire. But you said opiate OD's, not alcohol toxicity, so maybe it was little off the mark.

On my way in for the late evening shift...should be an eventful one.

On the other hand, those ODs would have probably turned into burn unit cases if they hadn't OD'd. And narcan is easier to deal with than 3rd degree burns.

How very cup-half-full of you.

I think gutonc meant that, on the 4th, they set themselves on fire. But you said opiate OD's, not alcohol toxicity, so maybe it was little off the mark.

On my way in for the late evening shift...should be an eventful one.

It was wishful thinking on my part.

I keeeed. I keeeed.

Ugggg... I called a hand surgeon before noon. (Ironically, just a postop thing, not a firework, but he made a point to be snotty to my secretary that he wasn't on call for the ER.)

We had a 4th of July Sepsis Spectacular at my shop. I think there were 3 bipaps that hit the door simultaneously, and then like 6 hypotensive septic disasters all at once. When your age is higher than your systolic blood pressure, that's a problem.

The department was dead until about 5p, and then all hell broke loose. Started with a big stridorous throat mass that got trached in the dept (not my case, whew!) and ended up with an ICU code who kept waking up to tell me his heart hadn't stopped. But it did. Again and again and again. Cyanotic as hell from the clavicles up. And then nasty torsades, VT, PEA, and then he stopped waking up. Young guy, probably a big PE, but we'll never know. EF of 5% to begin with. Just really sad. Really, really sad. His poor mom cried on my shoulder and broke my heart.

Beer ain't strong enough. Not tonight.
It's a damn good thing I have a big vacation coming up.

Remember kids, your mother in law is the woman your wife will grow up to become.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love a great hop bomb IPA, but there is something perfect about the lighter stuff when it's hot and humid. Narragansett Del's Shandy is a gift from above when it's 95 degrees and you've been mowing the yard all day.
This is like the discussion I have with people and scotch.
Some argue that you shouldn't add water or ice. Others say you should. I say you should drink it however you like it. Like putting low profile tires on a Jeep. I might not agree with it, but it's not my money. Drink whatever ****ing beer you want. It doesn't make your penis any shorter, or mine any longer for drinking something "better". Hell, those MargBEERitas are pretty refreshing on the beach on these hot as **** days. Just be careful, they're 8%.

(I however, will not be drinking any light beers. The whole point is the alcohol, so I want as much as possible).