Unexpected Job Benefit: The Unofficial Beers Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I love a great hop bomb IPA, but there is something perfect about the lighter stuff when it's hot and humid. Narragansett Del's Shandy is a gift from above when it's 95 degrees and you've been mowing the yard all day.
A well made hop bomb is a thing of beauty (I'm drinking one now...Lucky Lab Superdog...not available more than about 15 miles of where I'm currently sitting...and brewed about6 feet from where I'm sitting, by the guy sitting at the next table over).

Too many "Craft IPAs" however use a metric s**t-ton of hops to cover up bad brewing skills. And I can't really argue with the hipster angle. Other than to say that where I live (highest per capita ratio of breweries to adults in both the city and state compared to the rest of the US), the hipsters are pretty much only drinking PBR, Old Style, Old German and Oly.

I had a "Spring Saison" (yes, that's a contradiction that will drive the beer nerds crazy) the other day that I'm thinking of getting a keg of just to make sure I have available to drink all summer long. 4% ABV, IBUs about the same as my shoe size, incredible.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I recently discovered this stuff as a great alternative to Corona...strongly recommend to anyone in Georgia/one of its border states
1115_boa_wildheaven_ldemeo_oneuseonly.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
I am actually off for a six day break for a long 4th of July weekend. Sadly, my mother in law is visiting during this break.
This has made me realize how lucky I am to work as many holidays as I do. In fact I might just see if I can pick up a shift for one of my colleagues.
In the meantime beer.

Worst of both worlds today; spent the day getting crushed at work with a bunch of sick patients, and saw my mother-in-law's name pop up on the tracking board. Poor woman has every co-morbidity known to man, and ended up getting admitted for the umpteenth time.

Brutal clinical shift + hanging out with your mother in law = bypassing the beer tonight and going straight to a tall glass of Powers Irish Whiskey...

Members don't see this ad :)
Worst of both worlds today; spent the day getting crushed at work with a bunch of sick patients, and saw my mother-in-law's name pop up on the tracking board. Poor woman has every co-morbidity known to man, and ended up getting admitted for the umpteenth time.

Brutal clinical shift + hanging out with your mother in law = bypassing the beer tonight and going straight to a tall glass of Powers Irish Whiskey...
I hope by "a tall glass", you mean "the whole damn bottle".

Reactions: 4 users
Mods: Rename thread: "Unexpected Job Benefit: The Unofficial Beers Thread".

Reactions: 2 users
I seem like I'm alone on this one, but this whole explosion of hoppy beers / IPAs as the current trend annoys the hell out of me. I don't hate hops, but I sure as hell don't love them. Where the heck is my malty beer explosion? As it stands right now, if I go to my local beer bar I can get 20 different craft beers. Unless I don't want an IPA. Then I can get a ****ing glass of Stella.

At least I still have my scotch.

Not alone on the IPA agidoo. I don't "hate" on it as much as I see it as the person above said, about going nuts on the hops to cover bad brewing style. I'll just pass, thanks. I'll also be waiting/hoping for the malt explosion.

The malt explosion has been going on in Bavaria for around 500 years!

One of the first beers I drank was the Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel, on site at Kloster Andechs with my Bavarian family around age 17.

Still my favorite malty beer. Very difficult to find in the US. Another great malty brew is the Paulaner Salvator, in stock at most big beer stores. Get the 16.9oz bottles.

csm_GrennderungFH39529a_Doppelbock_Dunkel_e925340bfc_1a57a42614.jpg

The malt explosion has been going on in Bavaria for around 500 years!

One of the first beers I drank was the Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel, on site at Kloster Andechs with my Bavarian family around age 17.

Still my favorite malty beer. Very difficult to find in the US. Another great malty brew is the Paulaner Salvator, in stock at most big beer stores. Get the 16.9oz bottles.

I'm a fan of dunkels in general. My favorite that I can find pretty easily is a Weihenstephaner hefeweiss dunkel.

lBI1pTJ.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Its gross. So is their "Florida Cracker" wheat beer.

5 PM. Home. 96 freaking degrees and rising. Its Africa hot.
Cigar City is overrated. I went to the brewery when I first moved here, but haven't drunk it since.

Oberon is a good summer beer for this time of year in Florida. Refreshing and citrusy.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

magichat_grapefruitIPA.jpg

I had this nonsense the other day. Didn't taste a hint of grapefruit. Did feel like I was chewing a mouthful of dry hops.

In my case, the reflux disease and general "heavy" feeling is just not worth it.

This has been slowly creeping up on me now. Never had a problem in the past. All those elderly people who told me not to get any older... should have listened to them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I buy expensive stuff because I want to quality over quantity. That's why the cheapest bottle of liquor I'll buy is $50 and the cheapest six pack I'll buy is $10.

I buy expensive stuff because I want to quality over quantity. That's why the cheapest bottle of liquor I'll buy is $50 and the cheapest six pack I'll buy is $10.
I read ya, for sure, but, for example, ever see a guy with a fat chick? (When the guy isn't fat.) What you like is what you like. De gustibus non est disputandem.

I read ya, for sure, but, for example, ever see a guy with a fat chick? (When the guy isn't fat.) What you like is what you like. De gustibus non est disputandem.
oh I will drink cheap stuff for the third or fourth beer of the night. And I'll drink whatever anybody else is buying me. But if I have a lot of cheap stuff at the house I'll drink it.

One of my friends in med school was known for being an incredibly slow drinker.

We got him a t-shirt from the school of Nursing.

For anybody that makes it Downtown Minneapolis....Freehouse Bar along Washington Ave has a wonderful Blueberry Blonde lager during the summer months.....#13. Delightfully light, just slightly sweet (but not overpowering/rich). Ugh I could drink this beer all day every day and be so happy.

I had some of the "New Belgium" beers the other day: the "Side Trip" and "Snapshot". Wasn't bad, actually. - Didn't walk away feeling like I had to eat my way out of the hop-bin.

Ah, bummer... Summer's over. Got the last 6 of Sam Adams Porch Rocker, and the last Leinenkugel's Shandy Sampler at my local beer store. This is the beginning of August!! Oktoberfest beers are out already. It's not fall yet!!

Bummer!!

Ah, bummer... Summer's over. Got the last 6 of Sam Adams Porch Rocker, and the last Leinenkugel's Shandy Sampler at my local beer store. This is the beginning of August!! Oktoberfest beers are out already. It's not fall yet!!

Bummer!!

But the Oktoberfest is amazing!!

My brothers and I celebrate Oktoberfest coming out each year.

Last edited by a moderator:
But the Oktoberfest is amazing!!

My brothers and I celebrate Oktoberfest coming out each year.
Am I alone in loving pumpkin beer? My wife and I sample at least 10-20 different pumpkin beers each season before settling on a couple we like and then squirrel a few cases away for the dark winter months. Tasty alone, good to cook with and can serve as a dessert drink with a cinnamon/sugar rim.

Yeah, they are... But, dude!! Summer!!

Summer, man. Its never over down here on the gulf coast. 95 degrees today.

I know this is the beers thread, and that I risk losing my "man card" by saying this - but has anyone else tried the "Not Your Father's" line of EtOH-containing (Root Beer, Ginger Ale, Etc)?
Wife brought home the Root Beer and Ginger Ale sometime a week or two ago. Damned if they weren't really, really good.

I know this is the beers thread, and that I risk losing my "man card" by saying this - but has anyone else tried the "Not Your Father's" line of EtOH-containing (Root Beer, Ginger Ale, Etc)?
Wife brought home the Root Beer and Ginger Ale sometime a week or two ago. Damned if they weren't really, really good.

I tried it (root beer). Can't say I'm a fan. It wasn't bad, and I wouldn't judge someone for liking it, but it just wasn't to my liking.

Had a pretty high alcohol content iirc.

Am I alone in loving pumpkin beer? My wife and I sample at least 10-20 different pumpkin beers each season before settling on a couple we like and then squirrel a few cases away for the dark winter months. Tasty alone, good to cook with and can serve as a dessert drink with a cinnamon/sugar rim.

My brother really likes pumpkin beer. I'm not much of a fruit in beer guy. The only pumpkin beer I like is the stuff my brother home brews.

We liked the Coney Island better, but the Not Your Father's makes a GREAT root beer float. No kidding!!

We liked the Coney Island better, but the Not Your Father's makes a GREAT root beer float. No kidding!!

Yeah, I bet! :)

Furthermore, by "really, really good" - I think that what I mean to say is "really, really convincing". If you'd have poured it into a glass and told me that it was root beer... I would have had not idea that I was drinking booze. The ginger ale was a touch "heavy/sugary/syrupy/boozey", and finishes second.

Kids today have zero idea what root beer actually tastes like.

Yeah, I bet! :)

Furthermore, by "really, really good" - I think that what I mean to say is "really, really convincing". If you'd have poured it into a glass and told me that it was root beer... I would have had not idea that I was drinking booze. The ginger ale was a touch "heavy/sugary/syrupy/boozey", and finishes second.

Kids today have zero idea what root beer actually tastes like.
Eh. I prefer Reeds Ginger or Fever Tree and some bourbon. Their ginger ale isn't gingery enough.
The rootbeer is like a wine cooler.

Yes, pumpkin beer is awesome.

Found a 6 of Harp, made in Ireland, at my local Consumer's Beverages (local beer/soda place). This is the first time in years I've seen the real thing, not the Harp brewed in Canada. Also got a true Irish Smithwick's 12. So far, so good!

I've been on an incredibly slow micro brew tour of Texas.
I like beer, that is all.

I've been on an incredibly slow micro brew tour of Texas.
I like beer, that is all.

Care to share your thoughts on what you've had so far?

I'm partial to st Arnold's 20th anniversary, cobra's t&c all eyez on me amongst others of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I figured I'd add that we're going to Oktoberfest. Prior to which we will be doing a self-guided not-so-slow Rhine wine tour of Germany.

Has anyone been to Munich's Oktoberfest? It sounds so touristy now, we're leaning towards the Cannstatter Volksfest in Stuttgart instead. It would also fit the travel plans better. And yes, I'll drink beer in Germany. But the Riesling is my favorite white...

I figured I'd add that we're going to Oktoberfest. Prior to which we will be doing a self-guided not-so-slow Rhine wine tour of Germany.

Has anyone been to Munich's Oktoberfest? It sounds so touristy now, we're leaning towards the Cannstatter Volksfest in Stuttgart instead. It would also fit the travel plans better. And yes, I'll drink beer in Germany. But the Riesling is my favorite white...
I thought somewhere between 80 and 90% of the Munich Oktoberfest were Bavarian - that is not really touristy. Hell - in 3 years, my wife and I are planning to go the for that! And, after all, it IS a LOT of beer drinking!

Although I'm drinking less and less beers as of late - I must admit frustration with these "Shandies". My primary complaint is that they're not "Shandies" at all; they're just wheat-beers, and have no lemonade or "thinner" quality to them at all. Big American Misnomer.

Care to share your thoughts on what you've had so far?

I'm partial to st Arnold's 20th anniversary, cobra's t&c all eyez on me amongst others of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A little slow on the uptake I guess.
St Arnold's does a good job with their 20th. Barleywines give me champagne hangovers.
I like a lot of what Deep Ellum does.
Karbach sold out, so I'll drink it, but not if I'm buying.
Revolver does a great job. I like Blood and Honey and Velvet Hammer.

Although I'm drinking less and less beers as of late - I must admit frustration with these "Shandies". My primary complaint is that they're not "Shandies" at all; they're just wheat-beers, and have no lemonade or "thinner" quality to them at all. Big American Misnomer.
Hey snob - a "shandy" is beer mixed with a soft drink. If one can taste the juice (which does NOT have to be lemonade), then it's a shandy.

If YOU can't taste it, that's totally on you. However, wheat beers are best, because anything heavier will overwhelm the fruit. It's like the IPAs with real citrus added. No one calls them a "shandy". And the Leinenkugel's Shandy is lower in alcohol, as is the Sam Adams Porch Rocker.