Unfilled programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

user9900

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I matched intern year only (which I hope was the right move vs. a research year or delayed graduation) so was eligible for the SOAP and could see the unfilled programs. My question is regarding the programs that elected not to participate in the SOAP. Should I simply contact these programs on Friday to apply for their unfilled position? Or by not participating in the SOAP does that mean that they would rather leave the program unfilled than fill it outside of the match? If anyone has any information about unfilled spots that might be offered outside the match, please send me a PM.

Also, somewhat related, I am confused by the new all-in rule issued by the NRMP. The way I read it indicates that programs must list all PGY-2 spots through the match. I am unclear if this also applies to spots that come up during the year from either a drop-out or approved increase in residents. If it does, it would mean that I would have no choice but to enter the match again next year as any PGY-2 slot would have to go in as an R-position in the match otherwise it would be a match violation. I.e., the only rad-onc positions allowed outside of the match now are PGY-3 and up. Can anyone clarify?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know which programs didn't fill?

Yeah I thought this was supposed to be public info now? Where were the unfilled seats?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. Brutal year. From the advance data posted elsewhere on this website, 94% of positions filled with US seniors. 195 US Seniors applying for 161 positions. Only 6 non-US senior matches. This vs. 170 US senior applicants last year and 18 non-US senior matches. This certainly does not bode well for us unmatched applicants this year. Wonder what everybody did? Soaped into a different specialty? Research year? Wow. I don't feel nearly as bad now.

Wow. Brutal year. From the advance data posted elsewhere on this website, 94% of positions filled with US seniors. 195 US Seniors applying for 161 positions. Only 6 non-US senior matches. This vs. 170 US senior applicants last year and 18 non-US senior matches. This certainly does not bode well for us unmatched applicants this year. Wonder what everybody did? Soaped into a different specialty? Research year? Wow. I don't feel nearly as bad now.

Whoa.

Where did you see this information though

There were 18 additional US senior matches to PGY-1 positions (programs that include the internship) and 3 additional non-US senior matches to PGY-2 (R) positions (for 9 total non-US senior matches). The 161 number is for PGY-2 positions and is distinct from PGY-1 and PGY-2 (R) positions. This means that there were 195 US seniors applying for 179 positions (161 + 18), which are significantly better odds if you are a US senior than if there were only 161 positions (~82.5% vs 91.8% odds). 18/18 PGY-1 positions and 151/161 PGY-2 positions went to US seniors prior to SOAP, so the odds of matching outright as a US senior were 169/195 or 86.7%.

This is from the file listed at http://www.nrmp.org/2014-nrmp-main-residency-match-results/

Last edited:

It was worse than last year, but in 2012 there were 222 US senior applicants for 171 spots and only 3 were filled by non-US seniors. That makes for a US senior match rate of ~76% I think, so it could have been worse.

http://sls.downstate.edu/student_affairs/documents/NRMP2012Results_Data.pdf

Yes, it was not as bad as 2012. Regarding the pgy-1 categorical positions, my point was that most positions filled with US seniors and even then a significant number of them went unmatched. As someone who did not match, the fact that only 6 grads managed to match is somewhat discouraging (9 if you include R-positions). When it is a particularly competitive year, anybody other than US seniors gets squeezed out, and rad-onc doesn't appear to be friendly to grads in the first place.. It appears to be the most competitive year yet, behind 2012. 98% US seniors in 2012, 94% this year. Versus 84% 2013, 90% 2011, and 87% in 2010. Congrats to everyone who managed to match this year. Regardless of whether it may have been more competitive in 2012, I feel this data still shows it was an extremely competitive year and that simply matching anywhere this year is a major achievement. If you take out the 18 PGY-1 matches and assume that all 195 PGY-2 applicants also at least applied for 1 categorical program, that's still 26 unmatched US seniors, most of whom probably thought they had a decent chance of matching. Given that US seniors typically understand what they are trying to do and have a relatively urgent need to be in a residency program after graduation, most probably didn't do this on a whim and put together a decent rad-onc application, which is no little effort.