unionizing & negotiating raises in graduate school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bcliff

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done it, and/or does anyone think it's a worthwhile endeavor? Several faculty at our university have encouraged students to unionize and challenge our status quo (which includes full tuition and fee coverage but also a stipend that hasn't been raised/adjusted for inflation in 10 years). My thinking is that I'm only going to be here for a few more years, and I'd rather keep my head down and get out ASAP. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

We had a Graduate Student Union (actually part of the United Auto Workers!). I remember one collective bargaing round when I was there, with a good outcome (including back pay) for us. Given the potential multiple relationships and expectations between grad students and their supervisors, as well as little "organic" communication between graduate workers across departments, unions can be important and helpful.

Out of curiosity.....total cash value of the stipend/fee waiver/tuition? And how many hours per week are you required to work?

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity.....total cash value of the stipend/fee waiver/tuition? And how many hours per week are you required to work?

Before tax, it's roughly $15/hour for the stipend alone for half-time employment, but we are also forbidden from seeking outside employment. That's not including tuition/fees -- It's a mid-size/public university in a low-cost area.

Before tax, it's roughly $15/hour for the stipend alone for half-time employment, but we are also forbidden from seeking outside employment. That's not including tuition/fees -- It's a mid-size/public university in a low-cost area.

so you make $25kish for 20hrs/wk... do you not think that's adequate? (if so, what do you think is?)

as a side note, would you prefer to straight up get cash for your work and then have access to student loans for the tuition? (is it the structure of your compensation that's annoying?)

so you make $25kish for 20hrs/wk... do you not think that's adequate? (if so, what do you think is?)

as a side note, would you prefer to straight up get cash for your work and then have access to student loans for the tuition? (is it the structure of your compensation that's annoying?)
My math gives 15k gross annual income. Tough to live on that.

My math gives 15k gross annual income. Tough to live on that.
that's why I asked about the structure...the school is compensating at a rate that includes tuition/fees so the real "salary" is closer to $25kish. If the students were to request that they just get their cash and be responsible for tuition then it becomes a more cash neutral proposition for the school....or if they were to demand the right to work outside of school to find extra cash.

I think the pitch that they are already "worth" more than $25k for 20hrs a wk is harder to sell.

I never felt that I was being shortchanged by my program because I considered the tuition and fees as part of the compensation package. But it's true that the stipend is low and difficult to live on. If the institution provides a periodic cost of living adjustment for regular employees' salary ranges, then I think a reasonable place to start is to ask the same for TA and GRA salaries.

Another reasonable thing to ask is to remove the prohibition on contract/1099 work. I understand the program not wanting its students to be beholden to another entity as a bona fide employee, but not allowing them to pursue a little side work (eg, contracting as a psychometrist) seems too restrictive.

Reactions: 1 users
my grad school had a union, but not a powerful one. It was an opt-in union, so no one opted in. My first year I went to the meetings to see if I should join. When I heard the way other colleges within the University treat their grad students, I felt very fortunate for the psych students.

Generally speaking, the more popular majors have more resources for grad students. If you unionize, it will be much more helpful to the music students than psychology.

Reactions: 1 user
Another reasonable thing to ask is to remove the prohibition on contract/1099 work. I understand the program not wanting its students to be beholden to another entity as a bona fide employee, but not allowing them to pursue a little side work (eg, contracting as a psychometrist) seems too restrictive.

Not only is that restrictive, but it also seems like it would really hurt your education. I did a ton of contract work in school, and I learned a lot doing it and it was a good CV builder. The money I made from it was almost more of a side benefit.

In my experience, the people who did the student union stuff were almost always poli sci/labor studies people (and, they're the people who are good at it). Doing that stuff has a direct benefit for them, while it would only have a short term benefit for a student who doesn't go on to labor studies, etc., and it is a MASSIVE time sink.

Graduate Teaching Assistants were unionized at my grad school, Research Assistants were not. In my second year I switched from research to teaching and definitely benefited some of the union benefits. They also went through a bargaining round resulting in more favorable conditions. It all looked like lots of work though, iirc, poly sci students were most heavily involved in the governance and structure.

Has anyone done it, and/or does anyone think it's a worthwhile endeavor? Several faculty at our university have encouraged students to unionize and challenge our status quo (which includes full tuition and fee coverage but also a stipend that hasn't been raised/adjusted for inflation in 10 years). My thinking is that I'm only going to be here for a few more years, and I'd rather keep my head down and get out ASAP. Thoughts?

Use caution in discussing such around your school, especially with faculty. I know admin at quite a few schools who right or wrong take a very dim view on those who try to get others to unionize. Also, be aware that some big unions have fairly significant dues, which can take a big bite out of a low stipend. So figure out if it is worth the personal hassle to you for another say ~1-5K over 2 years. It may or may not be.

From another train of thought, if you plan/desire to work in organization/leadership/advocacy position in your career after grad school and training, you may reap the rewards of experience, even if you don't get anything material out of exploring this endeavor.